1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Case 1840 skid steer drive

Discussion in 'Skid Steers' started by nicerainyday, Jun 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. nicerainyday

nicerainyday Member

The speed of the left drive on my 2000 Case 1840 skid steer drive suddenly dropped off while in use. I now have about half speed on the left drive while in the forward direction, but still have equal and full speed when in reverse. The chain drives and the drive gear look fine an no spline damage. I put a load on each drive mechanism by pushing on a tree and I wasn't able to tell any difference in torque from one side to the other. Meaning the left side still had plenty of torque to spin the wheels just like the right side did. No mechanical noise or slippage to note.
    The linkage looks fine, the travel of the levers looks normal, the stem on the pump valve looks to be rotating in the full direction to each hard stop.
    Per the manual, I swapped the relief valves (front pump) from left to right side of the pump. The problem did not change nor move.
    Roughly 3300 hours on machine.
    Any suggestions? Pump, motor, or valving?
    Thanks in advance,

2. mikebramel

mikebramel Senior Member

Hopefully in the linkage otherwise might be something jammed between the swash plate and stop

3. nicerainyday

nicerainyday Member

To the best of my ability (and others) the linkage sure seams tight and okay. Therefore I'm interested in your comment on the swash plate and stop. Any idea if that can be checked, with a pressure gauge for example or something. Or is this a pull it out and have it tore down solution. Thanks,

4. mikebramel

mikebramel Senior Member

Don't know specifics, but check the keyway and the taper on the shaft. The swash plate shaft on the side of the pump that the linkage bolts on to. If this is a newer machine it may have a different set up. Can you take a picture of the pump and maybe the tag on it. I think it will say Sundstrand xxxxxxxxxxxx

5. nicerainyday

nicerainyday Member

Unfortunately I don't know what brand of pump this is. I tried taking a few pics, but its hard to get a good picture. I don't find a tag on it anywhere on it, but granted its hard to see the whole pump. I think I need to pull the cab off and inspect and clean it better. Attached pics are the best I could get. I included a pic of the side casting that had some embossed lettering in it. Don't know if that means much, but it was all I could find for identification.
    Pump small.jpg numbers small.jpg

Attached Files:

6. nicerainyday

nicerainyday Member

The pump in the bottom of the pic is the problematic one (front pump).
    I need to study this more to find swash plate shaft you mention. Would it be wise to pull the spool valve and inspect?

7. GaryHoff

GaryHoff Senior Member

Heavey Equipment Mechanic
    Check items 18 and 26. Sometimes they get too much slop in them and will not stroke the pump fully. 26 is directional, so don't put it in backwards.

Attached Files:

mikebramel likes this.
  8. nicerainyday

nicerainyday Member

Follow up to my post since I found the problem. Btw, the pump is a Sundstrand, M46. I pulled the cap off the side of the pump, the cap where the valve body is. Inside I found a small flat pieced of metal. The piston valve was slamming the metal against the cover plate, preventing the valve from full travel. Since I didn't know where the metal came from I pulled the drive pump and had it gone through, basically rebuilt. I changed the oil and filter and it is now running again.

mikebramel likes this.