• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case 1840 not lifting weight

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Look and observe, still, though. just because the factory didn't pit a pin in, don't mean someone else followed the rules...;)

Some good advise there :) Get the area in question clean... use a wire brush, solvent,etc... like Dave says you never know what someone else did to 'fix' things before you got to it ;) I remember an old case 580ck a guy wanted me to look at cause the hydraulics lost power while he was using it... turns out the pump/coupler setup very similar to what the OP has had worn the splines off and was spinning but still had a little bit of grab to it so the hydraulics would still work but no power at all just an increase in 'noise' when you moved a lever to operate the bucket. So when I finally get things apart to access the pump I show him whats wrong and get prices for a new pump and he tells me "The pump that's in there is still pumping right" I tell him yeah, it's just the shaft is slipping.... so then he want me to weld it into the coupler o_O Thankfully for the next guy trying to fix things I convinced him not to do it!!! Could I have done it??? sure. would it have worked? probably, but when you have to fix it down the road it will be harder and cost more.

TVA

Some good advise there :) Get the area in question clean... use a wire brush, solvent,etc... like Dave says you never know what someone else did to 'fix' things before you got to it ;) I remember an old case 580ck a guy wanted me to look at cause the hydraulics lost power while he was using it... turns out the pump/coupler setup very similar to what the OP has had worn the splines off and was spinning but still had a little bit of grab to it so the hydraulics would still work but no power at all just an increase in 'noise' when you moved a lever to operate the bucket. So when I finally get things apart to access the pump I show him whats wrong and get prices for a new pump and he tells me "The pump that's in there is still pumping right" I tell him yeah, it's just the shaft is slipping.... so then he want me to weld it into the coupler o_O Thankfully for the next guy trying to fix things I convinced him not to do it!!! Could I have done it??? sure. would it have worked? probably, but when you have to fix it down the road it will be harder and cost more.

You would probably burn the seal and it would leak like a sieve!!!

63 caveman

I would suggest that you replace your belts as well, hate to see you have to pull the pump again for a weak one giving out soon.

If my memory is right I think the pump has to come off with the front engine mount so the engine has to be jacked up high enough to let the rubber mount to clear the frame.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Just for fun is there any chance of the original poster to post a couple pictures of this machine?

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
I'm not the OP, but here's a the same setup on mine if it helps.

20161224_164149.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I'm not the OP, but here's a the same setup on mine if it helps.

View attachment 194690
That's about what I was thinking it looked like. Looks like the four bolts that hold the coupler to the front pulley should be accessible to get them out with a little effort. And if coupler won't fit through the hole in mount just remove the mount and work on it off machine.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
You would probably burn the seal and it would leak like a sieve!!!
LOL maybe, but I've welded on assembled pumps before. It's all about heat management.

Will be interesting to see what the OP has going on to make it stick so hard.

Jason Harding

Ok finally have an update the spline was just totally rusted solid so I ended up having to remove pump and motor mount all in one piece and then cutting the shaft with a grinder.
I installed the new pump today and everything works perfect. so thank you all for the great help