• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1840 axle seal leaking plus maint. question.

Doug580l

I was changing the tires on the 1840 the other day and noticed that one of the hub-axle seals was leaking so I am going to try to replace it. I have a service manual but would appreciate any tips.

Also, I don't see anything about the axle bearings in the scheduled maintenance section. Should I be repacking all the bearings or is that not needed? The machine is a 1997 with about 2800 hours on it.

Thanks,
Doug

sims

if you have access to a press, just follow the service manual. It's right on. I can't think of any tips other than it's a greasy, oily job. For scheduled maintenance, I think you give the axle zerks a few shots of grease every so many hours. The bearings should be packed when you change the seals.
SimS

sims

Sorry I have an 1845C. There is a zerk fitting on the side of the axle hub casting. There may not be one on 1840s. Hopefully a 1840 owner will chime in.
SimS

Doug580l

Thanks Sims. I found a video on youtube of a guy removing the hub, seals and bearings on an 1840, unfortunately he didn't make a video putting it back together. It doesn't look like much fun. ;)

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Sorry I have an 1845C. There is a zerk fitting on the side of the axle hub casting. There may not be one on 1840s. Hopefully a 1840 owner will chime in.
SimS
Can't speak for the 1840's either but all the 1845's I worked on had them. If I was working on a machine that did not have them I would drill and tap for fittings on the housing for the hubs between the inner and outer bearings. I'd install the inner oil seal in the direction to let the grease escape into the chain housing and the outer seal to keep the grease in. Then pack the bearings good on assembly. And give the fittings a shot of grease at least once a week or more in wet or muddy conditions!