• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1155D Drive Sprocket Replacement

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Environmental Services Director
Hey Guys I hope you are all doing well, turning bolts, and getting your hands greasy. :D

I am playing with Sweetheart again. Yes the same Case 1155D. The rebuilt engine project I shared with you all is running great! :) (Yes I had to get much help from you Guys on that one) THANKS!!!!! :D:D

All of the hydro cylinders that I rebuilt (and had to get some help from you guys) to get one of them apart are doing good! :)

So, now I am putting new drive sprockets on it. o_O I was surprised how easy the sprockets were to get off. :) I did have to weld nuts on all 8 of the track shoe bolts to get them out as the heads too worn for the socket to hold on them. :cool: I am mighty blessed though, the last owner had put the split master links on the chains that are held together with the 4 track shoe bolts so I didn't to get a master link pin pressed out, YAY, YAY, YAY!!! :D But compared to pulling, totally rebuilding the engine (including a new crankshaft), and reinstalling it, this is a breeze. :p So far that is, I hope this does not turn out to be as they say "famous last words"!!! :rolleyes:

I am adding a couple pics just to keep the interest up. :D I hope this is the last big project on it for a while as I plan to have it transported to my small 20 acre mini farm after this sprocket project to build a path/road around the property line. I'm sure when I start using it for several hours at the time up there I will find the weakest hoses on it before long. That is one of the most aggravating things when you start using one of these old revived machines. What makes this process even worse is the fact that where my property is, it is at least an hour ride to the hydro line shop. So each hose that burst can tie up a full day of working time by the time take it off, drive to the hose shop, wait, wait, and wait for the hose to be made, drive back install add oil etc, etc. o_O

But at lease I am finally about to get around to what I bought Sweetheart for.
B-Crazy :cool:

CASE 1155D sprocket replacement 1.jpg CASE 1155D sprocket replacement 1.jpg CASE 1155D sprocket replacement 2.jpg

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I'm going to be doing the same along with a P&B turn on an 1155D in a couple of weeks. Probably a bit of line boring on the loader lift arms as they are very sloppy also. This one has been setting in a machine shed for over 15 years unattended to, but supposedly ran well when last used.

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
I'm going to be doing the same along with a P&B turn on an 1155D in a couple of weeks. Probably a bit of line boring on the loader lift arms as they are very sloppy also. This one has been setting in a machine shed for over 15 years unattended to, but supposedly ran well when last used.

That sounds pretty cool, good luck on it and I hope it goes well for you. I do have one question, how is the line boring done? Do you have the equipment to do this or is there some place you take you machine to have this done?

1693TA

Occupation
That sounds pretty cool, good luck on it and I hope it goes well for you. I do have one question, how is the line boring done? Do you have the equipment to do this or is there some place you take you machine to have this done?
I have the machine(s) to do this work. The linkages are so worn the articulating arm will almost touch the hood when pushed on with the bucket on the ground. Looks like a nice machine with full cab and all glass and doors intact.

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
I have the machine(s) to do this work. The linkages are so worn the articulating arm will almost touch the hood when pushed on with the bucket on the ground. Looks like a nice machine with full cab and all glass and doors intact.

Sounds like you found a hidden gem. Post some pics when you have time.
B-C :cool:

Welder Dave

I wish my sprockets were a straight bolt on instead of a tapered spline. Way easier to change.

1693TA

Occupation
I wish my sprockets were a straight bolt on instead of a tapered spline. Way easier to change.

Tapered spline isn't bad but you do need the correct pullers, arms, and tooling to both remove, and install them. I built my puller/installer copying an Enerpac setup from my son in law's workplace.

1693TA

Occupation
True statement but those retention fasteners need to be torqued correctly, and to specification. Biggest failure I've seen from the mounting type is loose fasteners and resulting damage.

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
True statement but those retention fasteners need to be torqued correctly, and to specification. Biggest failure I've seen from the mounting type is loose fasteners and resulting damage.

Sounds like I got off easy on this one. It is about time I found something that I was not doing the hard way!!! :):):):)
I thought I had to do everything the hard way :confused: but so far this has been pretty simple. My new sprockets are supposed to arrive by Tuesday or Wednesday of this coming week so I guess I will know in about a week from now it this job is really as easy as it seems or if I am just fooling myself.

Well anyway, waiting on the new sprockets has given me time to spray a little more paint. Even an old girl looks better with some fresh paint. I will be glad when I can send some pics of the old girl with new paint all over her. It has been a long haul with this one but I am finally getting closer. :)

loader with a little paint.jpg

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
If those chains are worn you better order another pair of sprockets cause these will only last a week.

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
If those chains are worn you better order another pair of sprockets cause these will only last a week.

Well they are worn some but no more than I will run it they will probably last the rest of my life. Besides if they only last a week this machine with a fully rebuilt engine, all cylinders rebuilt, good pressures on the hydraulics, and trans, and new paint will be up for sale. :oops: And it is looking and running good enough someone will need it. :) One week? :eek: That would be my que to give up on this one. :( If it last long enough to clear a path around my little 20 acres, I will be ready to sale it ;) or just keep it to play with once in a while. :D I don't usually sale my junk once I get it running, more times than not it just hangs around and gets older like me. :p

Tones

Occupation
I saw it done on a 955H. It was pushing fill material, went ok on Monday, by Friday the sprockets were spinning in the tracks. That is a dead set true story.

1693TA

Occupation
BC; You really do need to consider a P&B turn on this job for any kind of respectable lifespan to the sprockets. Typically the P&B hardness range HRC 43 to 45 and the sprocket teeth about HRC 50 when new. Nature of the beast is that the mating parts slide together and apart and with additional clearance or slop in the fitments, rapidly accelerated wear takes place. When mating parts are new, or recently serviced correctly, these mating parts develop a wear pattern together yielding a good service life. If a used and sloppy chain is utilized on new sprockets there is no established wear pattern and parts will attempt to establish one ultimately through destruction. I hate to see that happen and can only supply the scenario that will play out if this is done.

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
BC; You really do need to consider a P&B turn on this job for any kind of respectable lifespan to the sprockets. Typically the P&B hardness range HRC 43 to 45 and the sprocket teeth about HRC 50 when new. Nature of the beast is that the mating parts slide together and apart and with additional clearance or slop in the fitments, rapidly accelerated wear takes place. When mating parts are new, or recently serviced correctly, these mating parts develop a wear pattern together yielding a good service life. If a used and sloppy chain is utilized on new sprockets there is no established wear pattern and parts will attempt to establish one ultimately through destruction. I hate to see that happen and can only supply the scenario that will play out if this is done.

Hey Guys,
Speaking of pin turning, I assume this means having each one of the pins pressed out rotated and pressed back in. If that is correct, I'm sure the cost of this would be a few thousand dollars. Also I would assume all of the track shoes have to be removed before taking the chains to the shop as well.

If I am correct in these assumptions. What would you say the pin turning job would cost? I'm sure this can range a good amount from place to place, so I am not looking for a quote. Just looking for an idea.

Thanks Guys!
B-C

1693TA

Occupation
If you were to take the tracks into a place it would probably run about $20.00-$25.00 per pin and bushing R&I, (turning). Probably a setup charge also. Some places can do them with the pads installed, some they must be removed so of course less money if they don't have to remove the pads.

U/C work is expensive no doubt and the reasons the undercarriage condition contributes so greatly to the value of the machine.

Tones

Occupation
All the track shops I've been in only remove one row of bolts along the track and they won't reuse those bolts. A good track shop should be able to do both chains in a day.
I'm not anywhere near your neck of the woods so can't comment on price.

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Good evening Guys, I hope you all have doing well. I have not been on in a few days as I have just felt mentally drained after work for the last couple weeks. Also I picked up a Lexus that I have been doing a timing belt, valve cover gaskets, and all the related items on. Something I actually know how to do for a change! :cool:

Thanks for all of the info and advice. It looks like I will just put the old one back on and and run it as long as it lasts or until someone wants to buy an old machine with a new engine but needs some UC work. If it lasts long enough for me to take some trees and brush out for a path around my 20 acre mini farm, I will be finished playing with it as it will have served my purpose.

It has been fun learning about it but not enough to sink probably 10-k more into it to redo the tracks. So, it looks as if this play toy may have a very limited time to remain with the owner who has given it new life. :eek:

B-Crazy and enjoy the ride! ;)

Shimmy1

Good evening Guys, I hope you all have doing well. I have not been on in a few days as I have just felt mentally drained after work for the last couple weeks. Also I picked up a Lexus that I have been doing a timing belt, valve cover gaskets, and all the related items on. Something I actually know how to do for a change! :cool:

Thanks for all of the info and advice. It looks like I will just put the old one back on and and run it as long as it lasts or until someone wants to buy an old machine with a new engine but needs some UC work. If it lasts long enough for me to take some trees and brush out for a path around my 20 acre mini farm, I will be finished playing with it as it will have served my purpose.

It has been fun learning about it but not enough to sink probably 10-k more into it to redo the tracks. So, it looks as if this play toy may have a very limited time to remain with the owner who has given it new life. :eek:

B-Crazy and enjoy the ride! ;)
I don't disagree with others too often, but for 50 hours per year, put the new sprockets on and what happens. What were they, about $1000 for the pair? Those old ones were completely ragged out 10 years ago...

1693TA

Occupation
I ordered a pair for $372.00 each but have not received them yet.

Another option you can do is to weld the existing sprockets up, then have a shop machine for the proper profile. I've done several this way when sprockets simply were NLA for both dozers, and crawler cranes. I liked this product:

Typically I used my old GB-318 engine drive machine and it worked very slick on reverse polarity. The electrode is also usable on AC machines, but I never tried that. The slag chips off easily after a little cooling.

If you have a buddy with a horizontal milling machine and knows how to use a dividing head, the process is very easy and fast to do. Paying someone to do the work at retail rates? I wouldn't know if it were feasible.