• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1150C final drive.

davecampbell

My 1150C started making a popping noise when I'm pushing hard. I see the left track jump when it does it. I'm assuming I've got a final drive failure. Is this something I can tear into without needing a bunch of special tools? Is the pinion shaft something I can change without disassembling the transmission?

kith

My 1150C started making a popping noise when I'm pushing hard. I see the left track jump when it does it. I'm assuming I've got a final drive failure. Is this something I can tear into without needing a bunch of special tools? Is the pinion shaft something I can change without disassembling the transmission?
Track could be slipping on the sprocket.

kith

I hope it turns out that easy. I'll haul it home and have my wife watch while I push.
One other thing I have seen cause this is a weak or broken recoil spring. Case had some weak springs in the 1150's.

kith

One other thing I have seen cause this is a weak or broken recoil spring. Case had some weak springs in the 1150's.
On one 1150 that had a six way dozer we put a strong block of wood between end of blade and idler, the blade hydraulics couldn't move one side but could the other. Have to be very careful that the block doesn't slip.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Check your oil level in final drive, and check your outer bearing and flange seal just behind the sprocket for damage and oil leak if oil level is low. There are a few things that can go wrong with these finals.

davecampbell

On one 1150 that had a six way dozer we put a strong block of wood between end of blade and idler, the blade hydraulics couldn't move one side but could the other. Have to be very careful that the block doesn't slip.
So if the blade can move it the spring is too weak?