• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1000D Industrial Crawler Dozer Tractor, Won’t start

Cmw8r8

Hello. We have an old Case 1000D Industrial Crawler Dozer Tractor,(Serial numbers: 7103001 and After.) we parked it last year after use now it will not start. When we push the button we can’t even get it to try to start. No click or anything.The batteries are only about 2years old. And are charged enough that we almost welded a wrench accidentally when tightening the battery cable. We have 24v at the push button switch and at the solenoid. Originally we thought the issue was the solenoid so we removed it and cleaned the internal copper plate, when that failed we ordered a new solenoid and replaced it. Still nothing. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!9A4189E6-A796-4CA9-931C-345DA079A54C.jpeg A40AE1F2-72F2-49E7-BF9F-6D7CAA9597BE.jpeg

AllDodge

When key is turned to start do you get power to the small start terminal.

Jump from the top pot on the starter to the small terminal. This should engage the starter

starter.jpg

AllDodge

The pic in the first post is a starter relay, and from your post I'm reading that the solenoid ON the starter was removed, cleaned and reinstalled. Also where the jumping across the terminals nothing happens.

If you have 24V on starter battery post and nothing happens when jumping to the small terminal, then you have a bad solenoid. The solenoid should at least click when power is applied to it.

Place voltmeter on the battery post on the starter, then jump across the terminals again, there should be no change in voltage with the solenoid is not energizing (no click).

Cmw8r8

Here is the picture all wired up. When we push the start button we have 24v power on the stud with the white wire, the stud opposite and the stud on the top of the starter. We do not however here the solenoid click. (We originally cleaned the old one but bought a brand new one which is shown in the picture) When we placed the solenoid under load before installing we could hear it clicking and engaging. At this point I’m convinced it’s something with the starter.AC5E4243-6387-4445-ADA5-FF7CB5F4F93A.jpeg

sawmilleng

Couple more things to try before you get a new starter.

If you aren't getting any noise out of the solenoid with the arrangement you have in the photo,

1. try connecting to the other small stud on the solenoid and to a good ground. Does that help? Sometimes these small coils are not internally grounded.
2. If you short the battery to the stud on the starter motor (bypass the solenoid) do you get any action out of the starter motor?

3. the photos are not clear on the opposite end of the starter- does the new solenoid have a mechanical linkage into the starter where it is supposed to pull the starter gear into engagement with the flywheel? If so, could this linkage be seized up and not allow the solenoid to move?

Jon.

Cmw8r8

When the solenoid was not attached we could make it click no problem. On we we connected it then nothing. When going direct from the battery to the stud on top of the starter nothing happens. I’m assuming something is bound up in the linkage at this point. Are you suggesting switching the white wire to the other stud? Or are you saying ground the unused stud to frame somewhere? Also here is the picture of where they link up.DC92ED9C-4D77-40D5-AD48-F07A87E931B5.jpeg

AllDodge

No, don't switch the wire, add another small wire and connect to the terminal and attach to ground. Some soleoids are internally grounded, others are not. Don't know if this one is or not, so connect another wire to it and ground it to engine block (find a screw or bolt)

A solenoid is a coil of wire around a metallic post. When power is connected to the coil and magnetic field is created and the post is pulled in. When the post pulls in (in your case) the main battery power is transferred to the starter motor.

sol.jpg

Cmw8r8

Thanks for that. Really appreciate it. After grounding it to the frame nothing happens still. The new solenoid worked (before we installed it) would make the click and could hear it activate for sure. I have to believe it’s the starter at this point that’s bound up.

AllDodge

I would agree its the starter.
You could pump across the two large terminals (battery cable to stater) to see if anything happens with larger jumper cables, but I'm pretty sure its the stater. At this point I would either buy another one, or take it to a starter rebuild place