• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Careers as a Heavy Duty Mechanic

Welder Dave

There's always the newbies that want to jump on the big/more complicated stuff right away but they need to realize they have to start at the bottom and work their way up. It's frustrating when you work with newbie and they think they know it all and won't listen when you tell them the proper way to do something. When I went for apprenticeship training the Gov't. paid training allowance that was the same as unemployment insurance. I didn't get paid one period and almost fell out of my chair a couple weeks later when I got 5 cheques worth about $2200 from the Gov't.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Interesting comments about inexperienced techs selling more hours. A decade ago, guessing to predict what was going to happen as the experienced techs left the industry and how dealerships were going to address it.

Today, the shop floor at the local truck dealerships have crews of inexperienced techs that sell a bunch of diagnostic hours and the service writers try their best to invoice the come-backs. In a sick way, it’s kinda working out for them. Except for the customer getting hurt.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
not so well here where a number of clientele KNOW when being rail roaded and question 'Diagnostic Time' with no repairs. Have had a few phone calls from old contacts as to WTF is this crap as to DT.

lantraxco

Interesting comments about inexperienced techs selling more hours. A decade ago, guessing to predict what was going to happen as the experienced techs left the industry and how dealerships were going to address it.

Today, the shop floor at the local truck dealerships have crews of inexperienced techs that sell a bunch of diagnostic hours and the service writers try their best to invoice the come-backs. In a sick way, it’s kinda working out for them. Except for the customer getting hurt.
And half the service work is on emissions and electronics.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Diagnostic hours are a real thing on all this electronic junk. Years ago I would say if I had to spend time learning the system to work on it that was training time on my dime. But now when you see some complicated system and have to learn it, you may never get to use that knowledge again because it will change before you see another one like it. The customer has to bear that kind of cost.

Kg14

Thank you for all the comments positive and negative, I didn't think I would get a 7 page topic just joining the boards. I did read everyone's thoughts of the industry and their personal story's. so thank you for sharing:)

My options are very thin right now and I want a change, I'm someone that uses my hands so sitting in front a computer gets very boring leaning making online stores etc. If I try schooling for the 1 year and see it's nothing but "dead-ends" at least I would know. I'm only losing a few thousands dollars and 1 year of my life.

I live in Ontario Canada and everything is a degree or apprenticeship program here, I can't knock on someones door asking nicely to sweep the shop and learn from the ground up anymore. Maybe a few will help but from my 35 years living here and dealing with a**holes nobody is willing to help you like when my grandpa was a mechanic 40 years ago.

I would live in the states tomorrow, the options and bigger and you can pick the weather. also the cost of living is cheaper. The housing market is stupid here, $200k over asking on a house with most selling for $700k or $900k living in the middle of nowhere. Its just nuts here:(

I'm very green and i know starting at the bottom is the only option with anything new, I guess I'm different then the new young people.

I looked into the caterpillar think big program but I don't know the cost or if they would even accept me being my age with only having a grade 12.

These are the schools I'm thinking about attending but moving is always a option, I would need to wait until 2020 for the one in Lindsay Ontario.

https://flemingcollege.ca/programs/heavy-equipment-techniques
https://www.ontariocolleges.ca/en/programs/professions-and-trades/heavy-equipment

I have even thought about taking the course on leaning to properly drive the machines for the 12 week programs.

I've had nothing but a black cloud over my-head for years now, I want to finally buy a new truck and not one dealer cares about making a sale ($40k) I've visit 6 dealers. I drive the streets to get money (online business I have) yet they don't want the sale.

I'm just a different person to the masses it seems. Maybe I should become a drug addict & will get job offers from around the would and a gofundme setup.o_O maybe even get a nice condo.

Thanks again everyone, I will send a few members private messages as I do have a few more questions.

take care everyone:)

lantraxco

No matter what you decide, don't be a stranger here. We're kind of like a weird extended family, some of us get along, some drive each other crazy, but there's a lot of good new and old school people. Some may not be likable, some downright abrasive, but I can almost guarantee that if you lay it out straight, almost all of us will have your back if the need and the opportunity coincide. Brothers of the iron if you will. Cheers.

Welder Dave

It sounds like you're feeling sorry for yourself, at least a little. I would bet the majority of people on here have had some major setbacks in their career paths. I was black balled from my trade of choice for 6 years because of a wrongful dismissal. 2-1/2 month's later I spent 5 weeks in the hospital and wasn't able to work for about a year. It was before the freedom of information and privacy act and the company was giving false information about me. Under the privacy act they could have been given a hefty fine without my consent to give out any information. They aren't even supposed to say if a person worked there without that persons consent. The best analogy is what if an abusive ex is trying to track down their former partner.

The tech. school here used to put up job postings of companies looking for people. If not you could always go and talk them and see what say about becoming a mechanic and who might be hiring. It costs nothing and would probably be the best feedback you can get. Nothing wrong with knocking on doors and saying you'd like to get into an apprenticeship. You don't apply for an apprenticeship and then get a job. You get a job first and the company signs you up as an apprenticeship. Being older could be a big advantage over the younger crowd in this day and and age that want everything handed to them on a silver platter. Grade 12 is sufficient for most trades and having life experience is a big bonus. Seems like a new truck could wait a bit until you figure out where your career is going.

56wrench

if you can, talk to a field rep (the person who goes around and checks on the apprentices in their workplace) at your closest apprenticeship branch. sometimes they may be able to steer you toward a potential employer. at least, they should be able to provide you with some good general information. during my apprenticeships i had very good field reps but that was a small town and 40+ years ago

Coaldust

Occupation
KG14,

Call Toromont Caterpillar in Ontario and ask to speak to the ThinkBig Coordinator. Have a chat. Start the process to apply.
If you don’t get selected the first try, then apply again the next year. ThinkBig Coordinators appreciate persistence. Be positive. Don’t share your woes, tell them this is what you want to do.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Having "only" grade 12 isn't an issue at all in becoming a mechanic. They only required a grade 10 education in BC to enrol in the pre-app when I went through. You definitely don't need a degree or anything to do well in this profession.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender

I don't even feel bad for the dealers. I've worked at a few and would gladly make a buck or 2 an hour less at a small shop than deal with that dealer/corporate BS at a dealership again.

Coaldust

Occupation
I agree. I was able to handle the corporate BS when I was younger, but not anymore.

Maybe I could stand it if I was hiding in a corner cubicle writing standard jobs or something. Or, doing warranty claims. Maybe the core return guy in the warehouse.

Coaldust

Occupation
I’ve learned so much about Canada, the customs and traditions, from watching that documentary on Netflix. Straight out of Sunnyvale, Nova Scotia. Knowwhatimsayin? Lol. Peace.

Coaldust

Occupation
LetterKenny, Fubar and TPB. That is some funny stuff. Educational, too.

The scene where Ray wants Bubbles to jump start his car is hilarious. Ray gets pissed at Bubbles, but at the end, still reminds Bubbles to visit for supper.

Watched it 3-4 times to figure out what Newfie steak was.