• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Car Dealer Inventory

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I drove by a Chevrolet dealer and there were hardly any cars up front to sell off the lot. Maybe 10 cars were there on a lot that might normally hold 80. It is a small dealership but still wondering if they are going under or maybe they just can't get cars at the moment. The Subaru dealer looked pretty normal and the Ford dealer, which is much larger, also looked normal as things can be these days.

Cmark

Here in Australia the most popular make is Toyota. About six months ago I want shopping for one but gave up. As above, dealers have no stock, big waiting list for new cars and used car prices are through the roof.

Pixie

Occupation
remodeling
I've heard there is a computer chip shortage and since each vehicle has about 40 of them.....

Also, in this area, lots of people are moving out of cities where they didn't need a car to rural areas where they do.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
GM dealers here in Canada are the same. Not a lot of vehicles on the lot. Ford was the same, but seem to be getting a lot of trucks in the last month. The Dodge dealer got a Hellcat, and it's one of 3 in the entire province.

BigWrench55

I have been car shopping for my wife. I am not having any problems finding a car, but when I find a car no one will let me buy it. I am wanting to pay cash, but the dealers won't sell the car for cash. They are wanting to finance it. I don't want to go through the hassle of credit checks and what not. Otherwise I would give the down payment and pay it off the next day. But I shouldn't have to go through such extremes. I should be able to just buy what I want shouldn't I? Has anyone else had this problem buying a car for cash?

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I was going to upgrade to a one ton pickup. A big dealer here only had 2 in their inventory according to their website. I called, but both were already sold. They don't know when they will get some more. Guess I will wait a while.
Jeff

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Friend of mine was looking at a new GMC and he said GM dealers here are asking $2,000 over MSRP for pickups...no thanks. Ford dealers have very little inventory in the 250/350 class.

Supposedly a chip shortage. Has anyone looked at lumber prices?!:eek:

Wife and I expected to be building our new home right now but we're not paying double for our lumber.o_O

Tinkerer

Dealers want us to finance our purchases because part of their profit is in the kick-back from the loans.
I bought a new gmc truck in north central Illinois and the dealer was using a bank in Missouri.
I thought I would use that bank to make the purchase, then find a bank with a lower rate, but It was the lowest rate I could find.
That dealer has only one new GMC pickup in his inventory right now.
When he does get one in it is usually sold in a couple of days.
Ford shut down pickup truck production for two weeks due to no computer chips.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Friend of mine was looking at a new GMC and he said GM dealers here are asking $2,000 over MSRP for pickups...no thanks. Ford dealers have very little inventory in the 250/350 class.

Supposedly a chip shortage. Has anyone looked at lumber prices?!:eek:

Wife and I expected to be building our new home right now but we're not paying double for our lumber.o_O
The tinfoil hat crowd says the vaccine has chips in it, that must be where they went. This is why Canada and the US have to stop depending on other countries to build their electronics. Bring back the days when companies build their stuff in house.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I have been car shopping for my wife. I am not having any problems finding a car, but when I find a car no one will let me buy it. I am wanting to pay cash, but the dealers won't sell the car for cash. They are wanting to finance it. I don't want to go through the hassle of credit checks and what not. Otherwise I would give the down payment and pay it off the next day. But I shouldn't have to go through such extremes. I should be able to just buy what I want shouldn't I? Has anyone else had this problem buying a car for cash?

It's been like that a long time now. Just let them play their game, make sure the price is fair and no penalties, and pay it off the next month. Or make the deal letting them assume financing, then tell them you are paying cash at the last minute. There are lots of youtube guys that go through the art of manipulating the dealer. Shame it has to be that way but that is just the way it works.

BigWrench55

It's been like that a long time now. Just let them play their game, make sure the price is fair and no penalties, and pay it off the next month. Or make the deal letting them assume financing, then tell them you are paying cash at the last minute. There are lots of youtube guys that go through the art of manipulating the dealer. Shame it has to be that way but that is just the way it works.

It just pisses me off. I don't like playing games. I know what I want and how much I want to spend. What is the need for gameplay? You have what I want and I have the cash. It should be simple right? I can buy one from a private seller, but I am not comfortable with pulling that kind of cash out and meeting someone I don't know. I will find the car I want eventually, but my patience is wearing thin with car salesmen. :mad:

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
It just pisses me off. I don't like playing games. I know what I want and how much I want to spend. What is the need for gameplay? You have what I want and I have the cash. It should be simple right? I can buy one from a private seller, but I am not comfortable with pulling that kind of cash out and meeting someone I don't know. I will find the car I want eventually, but my patience is wearing thin with car salesmen. :mad:

My dad bought a paperback book in the 1980s. How to beat the car salesman at his own game. He and Mom would play good cop bad cop with the car salesman. He had it down to a science. Took Grandpa to buy a truck the same way. At one point had the salesman so mad they wadded up the contract and jumped up and down on it. I was along for some of these negotiations. It had been like that before and it's still like that today.

There is another way to do it. Go to the Clark Howard message boards and search for the "Weenut method" of buying cars. There is a guy on there called Weenut123 or something like that. It is a little hard to find but you will come to it. They play different dealers against each other with phone calls and emails. That way you can get the best deal in writing without driving all over.

4x4ford

Occupation
aunts on the strip Currently drive a 1951 chevy pa
We bought a new Tahoe in January and lucked out found it right when it came off the truck and put a deposit on it had 3 miles on it can’t even order the max tow package on gm products right now due to shortages was the main reason we bought when we did it had it was my number one requirement for a new vehicle

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
For fun, look at book values of your personal vehicles. Never in my life have used cars appreciated in value. ( Except special cases.)

I purchased a base level Ford 19 F-350 on 1/20 for $42k. Kendall called me and offered $45k. The book value is $55k.

Between Anchorage Fairbanks and Wasilla, there are about 7 Superduty Fords available. All of them are high-trim Diesels, like Platinums and King Ranch.

Coaldust

Occupation
Announced yesterday, Subaru is closing the USA and Japan factory. The Subie lots are expected to be empty towards the end of May.

Coaldust

Occupation
Warning: TLDR

I just upgraded my DW’s daily ride. Her 15 Ford Escape needed a windshield, PTU, brakes all the way around, battery, front marker lamp bulbs, (don’t laugh! Flat rate is 2 hours per side. Remove wheels and fenders) tune-up, fluids and tires. About $5k in maintenance.

Sold it for $15k with 85k miles, but it was super clean.

The Pebble Mine Project just turned in all their lease vehicles to Kendall Ford. They had a 2018 Escape Titanium, optioned out with 11k miles. Kendall sold it as a CPO. Looked like new. $24K

I know, Escapes are a pile of s**t, but my wife really likes them. From a mechanics view, they are all a pile. I like Subaru the best. They still use wire and relays instead of a module for everything. Seriously Volkswagen? Why do you need a $1,000 programmable module for the window regulators?