1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Cannot screw in new grease nipple

Discussion in 'Excavators' started by rdavison39, Jul 21, 2022.

1. rdavison39

rdavison39 Well-Known Member

Electrical Engineer, employed by BlackBerry
    Hi there - I have a 2015 Bobcat E55 I bought used and I just noticed that one of the grease nipples that greases the pin that holds the bucket was missing. I bought a replacement grease nipple but it would not screw in - almost like the female thread on the arm is stripped. I was thinking there was a reason as to why it was missing....

To check I had the right size grease nipple and to ensure it wasn't a problem with the grease nipple i just purchased I unscrewed another grease nipple and screwed in the new one I bought (it was fine) so its definitely the female thread on the machine. Its a pretty important piece to grease as the bucket is constantly in use.

Anyone else had this problem ? Do you get a tap and try and rethread the female thread on the machine ? Other suggestions

Thx
    Ron greaseNipple3.jpg greaseNipple2.jpg greaseNipple1.jpg

2. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Can't say for sure on your machine but 90% of the grease nipples that thread in are 1/8 inch pipe thread.

So could be the threads in the machine are damaged and just need a bit of cleaning up with a pipe tap. Just in case you are not aware those threads are a tapered thread so I would only turn the tap a couple turns in then try the fitting.

3. rdavison39

rdavison39 Well-Known Member

Electrical Engineer, employed by BlackBerry
    Okay - thanks. Much appreciated

4. OzDozer

OzDozer Senior Member

Semi-Retired ..
    56wrench, kshansen, JPV and 1 other person like this.
  5. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Dang! I've been out of the trade too long, plum for got about that possibility! Forgot about metric grease fittings, I had a small supply of those I believe for the WA600 Komatsu or was it the JCB 185? Been seven years this last April.

OzDozer likes this.
  6. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Doesn't apply here, but I got caught out the other day with an old seeder, couldn't get imperial or metric to fit, although metric was close just not quite right.
    Bloody things ended up being Whitworth thread.

kshansen likes this.
  7. 56wrench

56wrench Senior Member

And lets not forget the occasional drive-in fitting that uses almost the same size as a 1/4-28 size but is in a place where you can’t see clearly:(

DB2 and kshansen like this.
  8. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

9. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

Tap a few turns in to clean up the probable burr

10. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

Those drive in fittings fit everything. :)

Acoals likes this.
  11. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

And it works too!

Acoals and mg2361 like this.
  12. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

Honestly, a few times it's happened where I needed to swap a fitting, and ended up screwing a 1/4" fitting into a metric spot. They fit a bit snug, don't attempt it with an open end wrench. I've never tried installing a metric into a standard, I'm guessing that might not even work.