• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Can someone explain this

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I tend to agree with you, Bottom roller wear usually results in the links contacting the rock guards. The idler in post #13 looks pretty poor to me, but the photo isn't really taken from close enough to be 100% sure. That's why I asked for more photos showing the rest of the undercarriage components.

Could be the equalizer and swing frame bushings are shot too, making the frames splay out when its pushing. That will make the pin bosses ride the rock guards.

StxRancher

I did have a ton of play where the c frame connects to dozer, the inside support had come unwelded, which only supported the pin/bushing on one side, instead of both..causing blade to have excessive play and pivot

lantraxco

In order for track rollers to cause wear like that I would have to assume the flanges would be completely gone, since the pin bosses are not worn from hitting the edge of the flange... Doesn't seem likely to me, but pictures will tell the tale.

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
As worn as these are it seems that there has to be something that is just as worn somewhere that is rubbing. Maybe burying the blade to get weight off the tracks will show the cause.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Bloody hell this isn't rocket science.

If the O/P lets the grease out of the adjusters, pulls the idlers back and jacks the tractor up on blade and rippers it would be as obvious as dogs balls.

No rippers? Well back the sprocket onto an eighteen inch log or baulk and lift the front up on the blade and have a look at the flanges on the rollers . . . perhaps some bodgie or bent rock guards have been fitted or welded on crooked or some such, it will be easy enough to see.

Cheers.

Last edited:

lantraxco

caterpillar-d6r-lgp-single-flange-roller.jpg

Flanges are the outer parts of the roller on this single flange roller. Double flange rollers have another set in the middle, the links ride between the flanges.

Double flange.jpg

I have never seen any case where the flanges were gone, unless something was very wrong with the track frame or idler alignment. Rollers usually wear where the links ride, making the center smaller over time and the pin bosses begin to hit the flanges. You never know though what a machine has been up to, so it's always possible you have a roller or two gone South, but both sides at the same time?

Maybe the chains are running half off at the front or rear, got a link down in the center? Seen it happen if things are worn enough... that idler looks like it's out to the bitter end of adjustment so..... Usually obvious though.

As Nige sez, more pictures please!

Last edited:

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Both tracks are doing this, I'm betting it's got rails from another brand of machine that was a "close" fit and they are just too wide across the pins. Look at the overhang on the idler and roller.

lantraxco

Both tracks are doing this, I'm betting it's got rails from another brand of machine that was a "close" fit and they are just too wide across the pins. Look at the overhang on the idler and roller.

You know it's hard to tell from the pictures but my first thought was that the links looked way big for a 450.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
I'm with Scrub jack the dozer up and find what is loose or what is rubbing. I had the same rub on my chains (not near as bad though) we kept running it because there was no noise. Well it starting sqeeking and we found the problem yesterday. Bad front idler and bad front roller on LH side of machine. I think the idler took the roller out. Chain was rubbing on the rock guards because the idler was loose and let the track adjuster kick over a little.
I'd jack it up loosen the track and go over everything with a little pry bar.

DPete

I've had rubbing like that in days gone by, my cause was a combination of snaky tracks and roller flanges worn thin letting the rail rub the rock guards. I just ran it until undercarriage time

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
Your idlers don't match wear wise side to side for one. The broken idler is def causing that side chain to be rubbing. Start looking for undercarriage parts.

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
My instincts tell me that the more you look at this one, the more you will find that is used up. I am thinking a complete undercarriage rebuild is in the near future and I would bet you will find cracks that need welding and broken guard bolts.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
My instincts tell me that the more you look at this one, the more you will find that is used up. I am thinking a complete undercarriage rebuild is in the near future and I would bet you will find cracks that need welding and broken guard bolts.

x2 I'd check all the mounting hardware from the track frame to the cross bars to the main frame. Those rock guards will unbolt with some muscle and you can inspect things alot better. Good luck!