• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Can someone explain this

StxRancher

Why are the pins ground down? I'm new to the dozer, so please forgive if it seems like a juvenile question. Both tracks are like this20160626_125639.jpg

Twisted

They are rubbing on something. Must be a roller or rock guard. Check along the bottom and see if there is something bent or broken.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Be careful of sticking your hands down there. I'm thinking ten thousand razor blades being pulled off something hard.

jjimbo

Occupation
Field mechanic/ owner operator
Is this a high drive machine and if so are both inside and outside of pins wearing?

Delmer

It's a little hard for me to tell from the picture, is that scraped metal showing? or white powder from crushed rocks?

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Something out of whack with that picture . . . those tracks haven't been working, they still have rust on surface of the rails.

The picture is inconclusive, weird is how I'd put it.

Cheers.

StxRancher

Your prob right,I bought it on auction..Both sides of outside tracks are like this..I think machine Sat for a while then owner decided to get it running to sell. Very little wear on pins. It's shiny metal, not rock powder

Dickjr.

Post more pics of all the undercarriage parts. Could be a bushing out of an idler etc letting it favor on side then the other.

caterpillar13

my guess is that they stole the good tracks off of it and thru some junk on it, i have seen this a few times on cats at auctions where pins and bushings and sprockets and rollers are dragging in strange places.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Post some good pics of: -

1. Sprockets
2. Carrier rollers.
3. Track rollers.
4. Front idler (from closer up that the photo above)
5. Lower roller guards from front or rear of tractor, whichever is best, to try to show if the track pin ends are rubbing on the guards.

What machine is it you bought..?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Bottom rollers are worn out is my guess.
I tend to agree with you, Bottom roller wear usually results in the links contacting the rock guards. The idler in post #13 looks pretty poor to me, but the photo isn't really taken from close enough to be 100% sure. That's why I asked for more photos showing the rest of the undercarriage components.

StxRancher

How hard are the bottom rollers to replace..are they worn because they no longer have the proper height, or worn because the bearings are no longer good?

StxRancher

My dozer is about 75 miles away from me right now, so I can't get anymore pics till the weekend..also the pins have no wear on them???