• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Can I Use a Dozer Blade on my 873 Bobcat?

zghorner

I found a good deal on a bradco ATP96 dozer blade that i could really put to use on my road but i have never used the auxiliary controls for my machine. It only has switches on one handle and looks to only be a 2 switch design. One in the center facing you as you sit in it that moves to the right or left and then a trigger on the bottom that only appears to switch one way, (squeeze to activate) The dozer blade angles inward/outward and tilts to each side...I am worried that i only have essentially enough switches for 3 functions and the blade needs 4. Any help you can give a newb is really appreciated.

PS: I only have 2 auxiliary hookups, not the 4 setup.

Welder Dave

Generally dozer blades don't work very well on a wheeled skid steer. It is hard to find someone who actually likes them. They work better on a tracked machine. There's probably a reason it was a good deal. Looking on Everything Attachments it should come with the electrical controls so you only need one set of aux. hyd's. With skid shoes, blades for snow work good but in dirt the machine is too short an unbalanced. In a previous post someone commented a bucket would do a better job a lot easier.

zghorner

Generally dozer blades don't work very well on a wheeled skid steer. It is hard to find someone who actually likes them. They work better on a tracked machine. There's probably a reason it was a good deal. Looking on Everything Attachments it should come with the electrical controls so you only need one set of aux. hyd's. With skid shoes, blades for snow work good but in dirt the machine is too short an unbalanced. In a previous post someone commented a bucket would do a better job a lot easier.
I called the manufacturer and they said i need this toggle switch since my machine has no electrical plugs: http://www.jimgoodall.net/bradco-15756-control-box-for-460-swing-hoes-tilt-attach-diverts-oil-flow/

I got it and sure enough only the tilt works. Just made a few passes on my road and it does pretty good. I see what you mean about a tracked machine would do better but at least mine is a larger skid steer (73 hp) so it is able to move that big of a blade fairly well. I have a boat & RV storage at the end of a 1/2 mile gravel road and i am the only one who maintains it. For what little i am going to do i think the blade is more than enough. I was considering a skip loader like a case 570 which would run me about $20k used but i paid $2,800 for the dozer blade and although it wont do as good a job, for the money its fine. If after more use i grow to hate it then i can always sell it.

thank you for the reply.