1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Can I haul my excavator with my f700?

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by Maxcavator, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Maxcavator

Maxcavator Member

Hi I have a 86 f700 dump truck with a net weight of 6700 kgs and a GVW of 13600 kgs. The excavator I want to haul is a hitachi 70 weighing about 7000 kgs. The trailer is a tri-axle U-build weight unknown. really heavy duty I beams. maybe 2000 kgs. Does anyone know the maximum GCVW of that truck? Thanks,

2. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

What axles are on the trailer? I think you'd be OK as long as the trailer isn't overloaded. Sometimes building a trailer heavier is a disadvantage because you lose load capacity. GVW includes truck and trailer so roughly 15,000lbs. shouldn't be a problem for an F700.

3. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

4. Maxcavator

Maxcavator Member

The trailer will have the excavator on it. so the total gvw will be about 16000 kgs 35000 lbs

5. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Have to ask, Hydraulic truck brakes? Electric Trailer brakes Surge Brake or NO trailer brakes? Will make a MAJOR point of view to inspectors and IF have an accident shown out as overloaded for the brake system.

6. Canadian_digger

Canadian_digger Senior Member

Are the trailer axles single wheel or dual? What are the tire ratings?

7. Maxcavator

Maxcavator Member

Yes hydraulic brakes. electric trailer brakes. The trailer is rated for about 20000 lbs so Im not worried wether the trailer can handle it just if the GVW on my insurance papers is the maximum combined vehicle weight I can operate with. The trailer has 3 single wheel axles.
    Thanks,

8. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Tires as noted will be the Next question, MOST singles you cannot get better than a 6000# rated tire that for Duals that translates to a 12K axle as Opposed to Singles a 7K (Rated) 6K axle. That drops the trailer to18,000 LESS the trailer weight for the Load.

9. Maxcavator

Maxcavator Member

Oh truck tires? They are duallys. not sure the rating. if we are still talking about the trailer even at 6 per axle thats 18000 lbs and that is plenty. Is there a rule of thumb for tongue weight compared to trailer weight?

10. rondig

rondig Senior Member

excavation
    If everything is legal and works ...no problem...as long as your registered for the total weight and no one axle is over load capacity. Tires are considered in axle capacity...so axle or tire capacity...which ever is lower...so you can not exceed truck axle or trailer axle rating.....and MUST be registered for total weight of trailer,truck, and equipment.

11. rondig

rondig Senior Member

excavation
    You usually do not want to exceed 25% of load on tongue..

12. rondig

rondig Senior Member

excavation
    Oh and in bc they will look at door sticker for rating...for truck axles and trailer sticker for trailer rating....trailer being homemade....they will look at tire ratings..there is really no gcvw on commercial trucks that scale guys look at....all about axle weights and proper registration/icbc insurance rating.

13. Maxcavator

Maxcavator Member

Ok sounds good Ill check the axels and tire ratings. At the insurance place they said they can up the gvw as long as they don't go over the "maximum gvw" so I just need to up my gvw to about 40,000 lbs.

14. rondig

rondig Senior Member

excavation
    You got it....but stay close to what you need or you will pay more than you need too.

DMiller likes this.
  15. Canadian_digger

Canadian_digger Senior Member

What size are the trailer tires.