• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Can I haul my excavator with my f700?

Maxcavator

Hi I have a 86 f700 dump truck with a net weight of 6700 kgs and a GVW of 13600 kgs. The excavator I want to haul is a hitachi 70 weighing about 7000 kgs. The trailer is a tri-axle U-build weight unknown. really heavy duty I beams. maybe 2000 kgs. Does anyone know the maximum GCVW of that truck? Thanks,

Welder Dave

What axles are on the trailer? I think you'd be OK as long as the trailer isn't overloaded. Sometimes building a trailer heavier is a disadvantage because you lose load capacity. GVW includes truck and trailer so roughly 15,000lbs. shouldn't be a problem for an F700.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have to ask, Hydraulic truck brakes? Electric Trailer brakes Surge Brake or NO trailer brakes? Will make a MAJOR point of view to inspectors and IF have an accident shown out as overloaded for the brake system.

Maxcavator

Yes hydraulic brakes. electric trailer brakes. The trailer is rated for about 20000 lbs so Im not worried wether the trailer can handle it just if the GVW on my insurance papers is the maximum combined vehicle weight I can operate with. The trailer has 3 single wheel axles.
Thanks,

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Tires as noted will be the Next question, MOST singles you cannot get better than a 6000# rated tire that for Duals that translates to a 12K axle as Opposed to Singles a 7K (Rated) 6K axle. That drops the trailer to18,000 LESS the trailer weight for the Load.

Maxcavator

Oh truck tires? They are duallys. not sure the rating. if we are still talking about the trailer even at 6 per axle thats 18000 lbs and that is plenty. Is there a rule of thumb for tongue weight compared to trailer weight?

rondig

Occupation
excavation
If everything is legal and works ...no problem...as long as your registered for the total weight and no one axle is over load capacity. Tires are considered in axle capacity...so axle or tire capacity...which ever is lower...so you can not exceed truck axle or trailer axle rating.....and MUST be registered for total weight of trailer,truck, and equipment.

rondig

Occupation
excavation
Oh and in bc they will look at door sticker for rating...for truck axles and trailer sticker for trailer rating....trailer being homemade....they will look at tire ratings..there is really no gcvw on commercial trucks that scale guys look at....all about axle weights and proper registration/icbc insurance rating.

Maxcavator

Ok sounds good Ill check the axels and tire ratings. At the insurance place they said they can up the gvw as long as they don't go over the "maximum gvw" so I just need to up my gvw to about 40,000 lbs.