• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Can-Car 20 winch

nedly05

I have a Tree Farmer C-5 with a Can-Car 20 winch, and the cable pulls out so hard that I have to hook it to a tree and pull away to get the cable off, and then when I have a hitch on it, the cable wants to pull out when I am skidding. I know there are bands in there, has anyone ever replaced them is it a big job, what kind of money am I looking at spending.
Thanks Guys,
Ned

nedly05

Kingofobsolete,
Thanks, I cant find anything on line, if you have a link please post it. Thanks a ton!

nedly05

KoO,
Thanks a lot for the help, I will watch that other forum to try and get some help. Once a gain, THANK YOU:thumbsup

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
no problem, sawmill and captain crunch are loggers and rocko59 works on logging equipmnet. i also have it on 3 other BB too.

here is another one.

Today, 07:59 PM
Timberjack

Cat Skinner Join Date: Dec 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KoO,

I've long since loaned out my Tree Farmer service manuals, but my Timberjacks all use Gearmatic 19 winches. They are very close to, (who knows, may even be the same design) to the can car 20 winch. I'm in the process of scanning some of the literature, but also found a possible online manual for you.

It's in a pdf file, and i'm trying to download it myself to see how big it is. I'll post here when it's done, and if it's the same info that i've been scanning, then i won't post them here as well.

There's a whole listing here. It is the model 19/119 link about half way down the list.
http://www.paccarwinch.com/netservi...d=G&littype=SVC

It can't be too big to download, my slow dial up just finished as i was typing and thinking, 3-4 minutes or so. There's 36 pages, and the trouble shooting section is included.

Now, i'll try to muster up some of the info i have stored away in my noodle.

As you say the cable does spool out, but very hard, does it do this all the time or just the first winch of the day?

That would lead me to think the brake band either isn't totally releasing, or there might be some oil or brake fluid contamination on the bands, and with the cold weather it's like a gluey tack on the drum. It'll hold the drum kind of tight, until there is a good load on the line.

The oil/fluid contamination also sounds like it is the cause of the winch dropping it's load. Once the bands heat up from a little winching they won't hold the load up. See page 15-16 of the service book.

It's not a big job to do. The Treefarmer was nice to work on, as the winch is high and above the frame. My Timberjacks have the winch set down in the body, so it's a headache to do some of the work with the winch in place.

Cost??? Well, i haven't had to buy bands for awhile. The brake bands were not too bad as i recall though, but they were not free either. I would say both of them should be $200 or thereabouts. Sometimes you can get away with just the small band as it is the one that usually wears out first, and if i recall it helps to control the bigger band behind it. It all depends on if it is soaked with brake fluid, oil, or whatnot. You won't really know until you dismantle.

Be careful working with the swivel fitting onder the domed cover. I had to buy one of them a couple years ago, and i think it was $300 or so. It's #17 on page 22 of the parts listing. Part of the cost may be that my skidders use the onboard hydraulic system to actuate the winch, while the others use a brake fluid master control that works separately, which should be what you have to deal with.

Here's a winch band ebay winch band. But it looks to be only the small band, and i'm sure you can get one for better than that.

If you want to try the place i use here in TBay, let me know, and i'll PM you their phone number, and who to talk to.

Take care,
Ken

that is what computers are for, to make the world a smaller place.

thansk

nedly05

KoO,
Thank you SOOO MUCH, Ken really knows his business. I was afraid that there may be an oil leak in there, I have a call in to a local mechanic I think that I will just let him do it. I am definitly going to down load that winch manual from paccar.

THanks a ton for your help!!!

nedly05

KoO,
I have a local mechanic coming over tomorrow or the next day, he does a lot of work for loggers in the area, sounded pretty familiar with the whole thing. Hopefully he will have me working properly in the not to distant future. I really appreciate all of your help. Tell the guys @ Red Power THANK YOU!! they have an impressive bit of knowlege! Thanks again!!!

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Been a few years but search for Gearmatic on the Internet using Broken Arrow, Oklahoma in your search and you should come up with the information you need. They have always sent me parts pages by email or fax and are pretty good with parts availability.