1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

can boom and bucket hoses be reversed?

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by 1970 CASE 580 CK, Mar 7, 2022.

Tags:
  1. 1970 CASE 580 CK

1970 CASE 580 CK Member

Hello all-

first post on here so please be gentle on your responses

I have a 1970 case 580 CK with model 33 backhoe, standard backhoe no extenda-ho. To me, my brain is wired for the boom control lever to be on the LEFT and the bucket control lever on the right...the way I've been accustomed to on another machines. This machine is currently set up for the opposite....right lever controls the boom and left lever controls the bucket.

I will be detaching the backhoe from the tractor in the near future to do some clean up, hoses repair/ replacement, etc. was wondering if the hoses could be traced and then just "reversed" to accomplish what I described above. Once I detach the backhoe everything should be easier to access.

Wondering if anybody out there has ever tried this? Perhaps this has been posted before

ALSO: I have a missing pin at one side of the backhoe tower, the large pin that drops in to the U-bolt where the hoe and tractor mate up. I could not find a part number for this...I'm assuming I'll have to get one made up from local machine shop. But yeah, I did some degreasing and power washing and noticed the whole hoe tower is resting on just one pin! NOT GOOD but I'm sure very fix-able

Thanks in advance

2. 580bob

580bob Well-Known Member

you can but not recommended as valves and reliefs not the same and can cause damage to components do so at your own risk

skyking1 likes this.
  3. 1970 CASE 580 CK

1970 CASE 580 CK Member

4. melben

melben Senior Member

Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
    The secondary relief valve pressures are different between those circuits, do NOT change the hoses, make rods to switch the levers, that is the right way to do it. the boom down relief is set to a way lower pressure to keep you from getting into dangerous situations.

randy448 likes this.
  5. jimg984

jimg984 Senior Member

6. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder Staff Member

I owned a John Deere 410 for 15 years and then bought a Cat skidsteer and fitted it with a Bradco backhoe. The Bradco had Cat controls and I just couldn't adapt. I had the dealer switch the pattern, they mentioned the relief valves too but they took care of it for me. That was in 2000 and never had any trouble.