• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Can anyone tell me if this Cat is grey market?

Canadian_digger

Looking at a Cat 308e2. I seen it had boom and stick holding valves. I know they are required in Europe. So I’m guessing it’s grey market. Can anyone confirm this from the serial number?

cat0308ejfjx07076

thanks

Tinkerer

Call the Caterpillar dealer for a definitive answer.
You may need warranty work done on it and they may not support it if it is in fact a gray market machine.
I Googled the serial number and it came up on RB's site, but it was in Arabic. o_O

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Ritchie Bros. has been importing machines from Great Briton and Europe for a few years to sell in the US and Canada. There is no problem importing those machines as Europe and North America seem to have compatible emissions and safety regulations.

big ben

It was sold by Finning UK so yes technically it is gray market.

The biggest issues is sometimes SIS will not have all the info for that particular models features but should be fairly common stuff except the boom valves like you say. Or if there is a problem with an EU style feature like boom lock valves sometimes the parts may take extra time to get. In this case I’m sure your fine as long as your not expecting warranty as that can get tricky.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
It was sold by Finning UK so yes technically it is gray market.
I'm going to offer a slightly different take on that.
IMHO if it was a machine that was manufactured specifically to be sold ONLY into a single market (usually but not always Japan. I suppose it could also apply to the EU) and then it somehow found its way to Canada I agree that it would be grey market. It would not exist in SIS and parts & service information would be non-existent, relying on Commonality Charts for the nearest non-grey market machine that was somewhat similar.

Otherwise I agree with Ben that the only drawback might be that some parts specifically required in the market where it was originally sold (EU or UK) might not be immediately available in our area.

big ben

I think the “gray market“ world has gone from “Japanese machines“ to most everything imported by definition now days.
So what is a gray market vs import ?
A 308E2 that is built to EU standards including emissions, Intended to sell in the EU, sold in the EU then imported to Canada (possibly). So is it an import ? Or grey market ? Or grey market import lol ?

The game has changed. That same 308E2 is different depending on whether it’s sold into the EU, Canada, USA, Mexico, Japan, Australia etc. Some major differences including emissions to some minor which might be a different decal in the cab. Regardless since emissions and more rules came into play has the meaning of gray market by definition changed from a small market to most any machine imported these days that was built within the last 20 years ?