• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Can anyone identify this crane?

jonbot

Hello there, I recently moved in to a new shop and there's this old overhead crane system I'd like to get working. It's an interesting crane, I haven't seen any like it searching online. It almost appears as if it's a giant train axle. Anyone seen anything like this before? I've attached some pics.

f0412f0e609e40db217ef3a6a59331d0.jpg

38cb5d1eafe15bce6dd227415aa8eea5.jpg

7851490a7aa3a1adb837e87fdd2de7a8.jpg

Toolslinger

Well, it looks like a potentially nice gantry system. Missing the hoist obviously. Need to get the lights hauled up above it, and also see what's going on with those 2x4 braces running up to a couple of the rafters to make sure the wheels clear them when rolling along.

cranesafety

You might need to take a closer look at the structure to determine if this is indeed a manufactured product or simply something designed and constructed by the owner. If it were made by a manufacturer, my guess is it could be an early, Alfred E. Box Company model (commonly known now as Shaw-Box Crane). I only base this guess on the type of large single-flange truck wheels and the look of the chain drive gear on the cross-shaft. I have seen similar on old Alfred E. Box cranes.

The trolley frame actually looks similar to the old Shepard Niles push trolley. It too should have a manufacturer's capacity plate. You might take some close-up pics of the trolley frame. If the trolley is original it may provide a clue to the bridge manufacturer.

Historically, if made by a manufacturer, a bridge crane will have a manufacturer's rated capacity plate including: name/emblem of the manufacturer, serial number and possibly model number. These plates or tags are typically found on the web of the bridge girder (the main beam in which the trolley/hoist rides) and sometimes affixed to the end trucks (the steel end carriage frames supporting those large wheels). You may find some holes from fasteners which previously held a manufacturer's capacity plate. These plates (especially the cast iron and enamel types) have been poached by collectors for years.

In any event, if you decide to return the crane to service you will need to first determine the rated capacity of the crane and calculate the wheel loads as well as the rated capacity of the supporting (runway) structure. Include the implied loads of the proposed trolley/hoist you plan to use in these calculations. This is usually done by a reverse engineering study by a qualified, registered professional engineer. Have the crane and runway inspected by a qualified crane inspector. Make any necessary repairs or reinforcements as determined by the engineer and inspector. Finally, perform a rated load test/certification of the system and maintain all documentation.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Most of these old bridge cranes had to be destroyed enough to be non fixable because they could no longer meet OSHA requirements. A couple years ago the largest old style bridge crane still operating in the world was torn down in Superior, WI, or the facility could not be insured. I don't remember the exact size but it was something around a thousand feet long and 100 and some feet wide clear span. It was near a hundred years old and no safety systems on it at all.

Toolslinger

Also, very perplexing the switches & receptacles appear to be 10' above the floor.

Outlets yes. Switches, where? I see lots of box covers with the bar code label on them, but no switches. Outlets might make sense if there were something like wall fans, or drop cords... Still, lots of connections going on with the conduit... Pretty much inevitable with any old industrial space though...

crane operator

I'm going to assume this is in a "at home" personal kind of shop?

In any event, if you decide to return the crane to service you will need to first determine the rated capacity of the crane and calculate the wheel loads as well as the rated capacity of the supporting (runway) structure. Include the implied loads of the proposed trolley/hoist you plan to use in these calculations. This is usually done by a reverse engineering study by a qualified, registered professional engineer. Have the crane and runway inspected by a qualified crane inspector. Make any necessary repairs or reinforcements as determined by the engineer and inspector. Finally, perform a rated load test/certification of the system and maintain all documentation.

Nobody is going to do that cost effectively, he would be better off to tear it all out as try to find someone who will put their stamp on it. More than likely, he wouldn't find any engineer to sign off on it. And if he does find someone to sign off, its likely to cost more than its worth. Most engineers don't want that kind of liability.

If this is just your "home/ hobby" shop- OSHA can pound sand. They have no jurisdiction- if you don't have any employees and its not a facility open to the public. If you are self employed or its a home shop- OSHA doesn't much care what you get up to.

If you have employee's and its a working facility, that's a whole nother ball game, and you're going to be tearing it out. If you really need a overhead, you're going to be buying new because it will be less work than trying to get that thing passed by any kind of a inspector or engineer.

What kind of weight are you wanting to pick up? Just looking at the beam and trolley I'm guessing around 1/4 to 1/2 ton capacity. I'd want to look it over pretty close myself before using it. If you are just hobby using it, just buy a chain fall to hang from the trolly. You don't need a powered winch or anything.

cranesafety

Whatever kind of home, shop or business that intends to use the crane will likely have to be insured. Insurance costs are the driving factor in keeping things safe and on the up & up at home or around the shop. An insurance audit whether it be for home, business or otherwise is going to raise a red flag when seeing this crane. Questions will be asked i.e.; Are you using the crane? What is the designed crane capacity? When was the crane last inspected? In my experience insurance auditors are far more scrutinizing than any OSHA inspector.

The OSHA Regs for Overhead Cranes 1910.179, would not even include this type of crane by definition. However, the crane and hoist must comply with consensus standards such as ASME, HMI and etc. to meet most insurance requirements and this would include having the crane inspected to those applicable standards.

The owner will want to know this and should learn what's involved before putting himself, his friends or anybody else at risk. If this will be used in business, OSHA would cite the General Duty Clause if an employee were exposed to a known hazard, injured or killed. Hefty fines could follow if records and documentation are not in order.

I'm in the overhead business and have seen customers go both ways in this same scenario. Some park the crane, weld stops behind the wheels and admire them as a museum piece. Even had one guy take a double girder bridge crane down and use it as a pedestrian bridge on his property. Others take advantage of these conservatively built structures, invest a little money in engineering, updates add a new hoist and they have something 10X better than they could buy in todays market.

If the owner decides to scrap the crane and buy a new overhead, keep in mind that the supporting runway structure must still be analyzed by an engineer for the wheel loadings of the new crane. I would advise to consult with a local crane builder. Many of these companies can now provide very affordable "kit" cranes and some may have an engineer on staff to analyze the supporting structure and provide the allowable wheel load. If the owner's intention is to ever sell the property and include marketing the crane as a functional asset, this is the way to go.