• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Calif. Smog, Big Brother's Plan, It's Comming

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
In the letter that we got, it says in big bold letters....."THOSE WHO FAIL TO COMPLY, WE CAN AND WILL PUT YOU OUT OF BUSINESS".
Now my question is......these carb people.. do they wear body armor? Those are some awful threatening words.
It's just a matter of time before someone goes postal on someone who is threatening a mans livelihood.
Right or wrong, its just a matter of time and I won't be a bit surprised. Everyone has their breaking point. It will happen.
And these huge fines? Where does the money go? In someone's pockets?

What about our 8th amendment? Excessive bail, cruel punishment .

surfer-joe

I see nothing political about it. Humor, sarcasm maybe. Point is, the heavy equipment industry, as related to mining and earthmoving or other general construction projects, is being hugely over-regulated by government bureaucrats and their political and business benefactors. If twere only California, who would care, other than ole RollOver Pete? Except that out of state competition for work in California has now been stifled, closed off, and limited to mostly California contractors only, as who else in their right mind is going to install all the very expensive environmental stuff on their equipment to work in Florida, Maine or Iowa? Likewise, California contractors are not likely to maintain expensive and poor quality environmental controls out of state. I've been down that road before. Seems to me to be a case of unfair business regulations that some court should take up. Which would come out on top?

The trucking industry, the railroads, the aviation companies; all are going to have to kow-tow to the environmental crazies in California, or no longer allow their equipment to go into the state. That will be a real job killer for owner-operators and a whole lot of other people! How long before personal cars or pickups older than a couple of years, going to not be allowed in the state, particularly diesels? My guess, if the CARB people are allowed to continue, not long!

Personally, I do not believe that any state has a right to enact regulations that strangle federal inter-state commerce or other states. This will only lead us back to the situation the original thirteen colonies were in with nothing allowed to go from one state to another because of differences in taxes, rules, and regulations. The only way out of this mess, is a political process.

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
The trucking industry, the railroads, the aviation companies; all are going to have to kow-tow to the environmental crazies in California, or no longer allow their equipment to go into the state. That will be a real job killer for owner-operators and a whole lot of other people! How long before personal cars or pickups older than a couple of years, going to not be allowed in the state, particularly diesels? My guess, if the CARB people are allowed to continue, not long!

Unfortunately I think this is what has to happen and I say this with the utmost sympathy for my friends and members who live and work in California. The machine has gotten so big and so entrenched that the only way to stop it is let itself implode.:( The pencil pushing government workers are not going to back down as long as they receive a paycheck. When the results of their over-regulation result in no tax income which equal no gov't payroll checks, the old proverbial phrase "The buck stops here" comes into play. This will cause great pain and strife for the innocent who have to endure the turmoil that will go along as this process works out. Barring a societal shift, I just don't see anything changing until this happens and this saddens my heart.:eek:

Personally, I do not believe that any state has a right to enact regulations that strangle federal inter-state commerce or other states. This will only lead us back to the situation the original thirteen colonies were in with nothing allowed to go from one state to another because of differences in taxes, rules, and regulations. The only way out of this mess, is a political process.

I disagree as I believe in State's Rights. If California wants to enact rules that smother their industry, then it's their right to do so as a State. Just like CO and WA voted to make mary jane legal. Now don't get me wrong, I don't smoke it and don't condone it but the people of those States voted to make it legal and they should have the Right and ability to not only do that but also deal with the effects of what they choose - just like California.:cool2 With choices come consequences, it's the first thing you learn when you become an adult and leave the nest.:cool:

Now my above post is not about the validity or debate of individual laws that States choose to enact or forbid but rather an argument that a State and it's people, have the right to govern themselves, how they choose. They are the ones that have to live with the consequences of their choices.

Of course the Constitution prevails and no State law shall supersede the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.:usa

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I see nothing political about it.

About what, CARB, or the Presidency?

I think it's a given that any discussion of CARB is going to contain politics, but since it's directly related to our industry, it's not prohibited. This 200+ post thread is evidence of that.

Your post #199 though, didn't really do anything to tie the Presidency in with the details of the CARB discussion, but it did make an explicit, negative, comment about the highest politically chosen official in the land.

If you want to make a case that clearly relates a Presidential lie to this industry, that will also be fair game for discussion. You didn't do that in post #199 though, which is why I found a reminder (to all), of the political discussion rule to be in order.

It's the old an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure principle.

90plow

I just heard Rush Limbaugh talking about the left coast wackos today. The apparently passed their own cap and trade bill which effectively will raise rates for electric produced by coal plants. I dont know how much more this economy can take its really ashame. I think its rediculous that the government can force you to change your vehicle. Thats like telling you your car without airbags needs airbags installed and if you dont theyll take your car. I like the tire law thats really a joke someones paying out big bucks to get that passed. Sad thing is NJ will likely follow suite.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
See? See that? Now you got CM going off in five different directions. :Banghead

5 directions??:confused: I do my best to keep going in one direction, which is usually the wrong way....:rolleyes:

at least that's what my better 1/2 says anyway...:laugh

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Many of the rich and stupid have come to Washington State. They got gay marriage passed. The got pot made legal. They are running businesses out.

Heck I can't even buy a Twinkie anymore!

mitch504

John, I don't guess it'll make you feel any better, but, as soon as we heard on the radio other day about the first gay "marriages" there,and the pot, my wife said, " Oh good, maybe now most of our loonies will move to Wa".

You can always move to SC, we can always use another skilled man who is willing to work, and it's warmer.

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Excavating Contractor & Operator
In December of 2011 Ca Cap In Trade went into effect. In July a report against it was released it said business and people would leave.It's called Economic Leakage! I have attached it. The good thing is we still have in www.
My intent is to educate as meany people as possible. It seems we have a media that only reports emotions and ignores facts that chip away at the greenhouse "Global Warming Myth". And with out CO2 no trees and no oxy, and we die!
We have a huge feed problem going on nationally right now because the corn is going into a 10% gas blend, EPA Mandate. In CA Zacky Farm, is now bankrupt, dairymen shooting them selves in the Central Valley because of feed costs loosing the farm. Seems people chase after carbon credits & tax are not thinking when they waste food supply instead allow drilling?

Attachments

• CaliforniaAirResourceBoard’s(ARB’s)ScopingPlan.pdf
    62.2 KB · Views: 55

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Mitch504,
Thanks for the heads up. We are seriously thinking of Idaho for now. We will pursue that intensively after the first of the year.

I'm pretty sure that a North Carolina loony doesn't have near as many colorful feathers, or ideas, as those from the nation of California.

eugene646464

Occupation
President/ Project Manager/ Estimator of ATDM
oh please don't hate me from being form NY but i'm willing to buy all the equipment you guys have to get rid of, because what you guys have on the west cost we don't have on the east or its so rare and scares that i rather have my own... anyone selling anything cheap and functional i'm always down for a good deal!!! delivery wont be a problem i have the proper resources to move these things cross country :D