• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CA contractors license questions

dirtbikedude

Hi guys,

I have some questions about getting my contractors license

I want to get my General Building Contractor license as well as my C-21 Demolition/ building moving license.

I have 10 years experience as a foreman for a General Building Contractor so I qualify for the examination be waived for the B license

Once I obtain my General Building Contractor license I would like to add the C-21 classification to my license.

With my experience above am I also exempt from taking the C-21 trade test?

LT-x7

Occupation
Earth Moving Contractor
All the info here http://www.cslb.ca.gov/Contractors/..._Application/Before_Applying_For_License.aspx

As far as I see (& remember) the only way around the examination is the waiver to carry on a family business.

The way I understand it you need 4 years of full time experience within the last 10 years in the trade your going for to qualify to take the test. So if you can show 4 years experience doing general work, then another 4 doing demo I would think you would qualify for both.

On a side note, if you have a general "B" license the law says to legally take a contract if must contain 2 unrelated trades or crafts not including carpentry. The way I see it demo typically includes unhooking utility's (plumbing, electrical) demo, and grading when your done. Looks like more than 2 trades to me, and I would make sure to include the different trades in the contact.

dirtbikedude

thanks for the response, on the application it says there are waivers listed in the B&P Code Sections 7065.1-

from what I read it seems that I would qualify for a waiver under subsection A and B (as I work for my family's business)

My thing is I work for the family business but I want to start my own company under a new name

7065.1. Notwithstanding Section 7065, the registrar may waive the
examination for a contractor's license under any of the following
circumstances:
(a) The qualifying individual has, for five of the seven years
immediately preceding the application for licensure, been listed on
the official records of the board as a member of the personnel of any
licensee who held a license, which was active and in good standing,
in the same classification being applied for, and who during the
period listed on the license has been actively engaged in a licensee'
s construction activities in the same classification within which the
applicant applies for a license.
(b) The qualifying individual is an immediate member of the family
of a licensee whose individual license was active and in good
standing for five of the seven years immediately preceding the
application for licensure, and the qualifying individual is able to
show all of the following:
(1) The qualifying individual has been actively engaged in the
licensee's business for five of the seven years immediately preceding
the application for licensure.
(2) The license is required to continue the existing family
business in the event of the absence or death of the licensee.
(3) An application is made for a new license in the same
classifications in which the licensee is or was licensed.
(c) The qualifying individual is an employee of a corporation or a
limited liability company seeking to replace its former qualifying
individual and has been employed by that corporation or limited
liability company under the following conditions:
(1) For five of the seven years immediately preceding the
application for licensure, the qualifying individual has been
continually employed by the corporation or limited liability company
in a supervisory capacity in the same classifications being applied
for.
(2) For five of the seven years immediately preceding the
application for licensure, the corporation or limited liability
company has held an active license in good standing in the same
classifications being applied for.
(3) The corporation or limited liability company has not requested
a waiver under this subdivision within the past five years.
For purposes of this section, employees of a corporation or
limited liability company shall include, but not be limited to, the
officers of a corporation and the officers and managers of a limited
liability company.

ddigger

Occupation
contractor,owner operater
I don't think so. If your going to get a license why not just go for the A (general engineering) and then the C21 you then would have all your bases covered.

Dualie

If you're generating the material by charging someone to remove it then you're a contractor, if your just a truck driver being paid by a general contractor then no

LT-x7

Occupation
Earth Moving Contractor
I don't think so. If your going to get a license why not just go for the A (general engineering) and then the C21 you then would have all your bases covered.

The problem is having and proving experience in the classification your going for.
If the family business he has been working for has a B license, then I doubt the state will approve the experience for an A. I tried that exact thing a few years ago, got shot down and ended up getting a C12 instead.

firedozer

The problem is having and proving experience in the classification your going for.
If the family business he has been working for has a B license, then I doubt the state will approve the experience for an A. I tried that exact thing a few years ago, got shot down and ended up getting a C12 instead.

I would recommend using a License waiver expert to process your paperwork if that is the route you want to try. I used one to add the C21 to a A lic. that I held for over 25 years. The state does not like to give out waivers.

dirtbikedude

thanks guys for the help

I think the easiest thing to do is apply for the B since I will qualify for the waiver being the replacing qualifier for the license

Thats a good idea, I will use a company to handle the paperwork for me since they deal with it everyday.

Firedozer how hard was the process to get your C21 added using the 3rd party processing service?

firedozer

I used Paul Lucente 1800-894-2999. He just asked a lot of background questions then sent over completed documents for me to sign then about 4 or 5 weeks later it came through. Be advised I am sure myself being the licensee helped. You have far more hurdles to cross. Good luck