• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

C15 Genset

mante

Hi guys,
From my knowledge about C15 engines they are the strongest engine with high torque 2100 at 1800 RPM ,when the engine run at the first time at1800 rpm after 5 minutes I got broken in the crankShaft .....
my question is why I got broken crankShaft occurred in less than 5 minutes while the C15 engines are powerful machines ?
Are there spare parts manufactured for different speeds or there is Another defect ?
Note: The engine was installed at wheel dozer before moved to generator.

Thanks guys

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
No real answer but if this engine was originally in a wheel dozer and then moved into a generator I would be wondering if it had a problem before it was put in the genset or was there some kind of misalignment in the installation?

mante

Thank you for your quick responses and interaction with the subject because it is an important theme for everyone....

The engine was working on the generator without any problems with the settings 50 Hz .... with loads of 50% This indicates that the vibration was normal .... But your suspect are true for the CrankShaft .... Because the temp was normal and oil pressure is also normal. ... Who push me to write about this problem was the questions about spare parts manufactured and the flash file Is it related to the strange problem ...
Do you think guys the problem was related to the flash file or the spare parts installed ?

Thanks guys

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
HOW was the engine "strapped" when it was moved to the genset??
Did someone put a strap around the crank pulley??
WHAT spare parts were installed?? IF it was a crank shaft, yes it would be "suspect"..
I seriously doubt there are different parts for different speeds..
The gen-set "alignment" is first on the suspect list for me.. if it wasn't picked-up by the crank shaft end when it was moved.

DARO

Occupation
Mechanic
Bad ailment wil pull or push the crank. I could see it brakeing the crankshaft if it was all tight. End play on the crank stator would also be a concern. Non oem parts are not allways direct a replacement.

kshansen

Occupation
Not clear on one thing, was this an engine rebuilt an an aftermarket crankshaft was installed?

Another question would be where did the crankshaft break? Any chance of uploading some pictures of the crankshaft with nice clear picture of the broken area?

It is hard for me to see where a "flash file" could cause a failure in only five minutes with engine only running at half rated output.

mante

Guys,

The genset rebuilt and aftermarket and the failure was with out load at the first 5 min about the OEM parts so I don't know if it was orginal crank shaft or not.
The Broken side at the last shaft alternator side plus the damage of 5.fix 6.7 the moving parts.
Thanks

mante

Bad ailment wil pull or push the crank. I could see it brakeing the crankshaft if it was all tight. End play on the crank stator would also be a concern. Non oem parts are not allways direct a replacement.

About ailment was fine because at 50Hz no vibration.

kshansen

Occupation
About ailment was fine because at 50Hz no vibration.

Not sure about that statement. Vibration would make me think out of balance, but a mis-alignment could be putting bending loads on crank shaft even if everything was in balance.

Again pictures of the damaged parts would get much better opinions.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
5 minute failure, no load.....I’m not sure alignment would do that unless it was waaaaaaay off. I’m leaning toward incorrect engine assembly, an engine that was claimed to be OH’d or parts that weren’t compatible. It is possible that it’s aligned dead on and just pushing or pulling the crank and thus wiping out the thrust bearing....

At this point pics are worth thousands of words. Plus some measurements....a man with a tape measure is worth more than a thousand expert opinions.

mante

Not sure about that statement. Vibration would make me think out of balance, but a mis-alignment could be putting bending loads on crank shaft even if everything was in balance.

Again pictures of the damaged parts would get much better opinions.

Im sure you can have bad alinement between the to shafts and not have a noticable vibe... @StanRUS whats your thought.

5 minute failure, no load.....I’m not sure alignment would do that unless it was waaaaaaay off. I’m leaning toward incorrect engine assembly, an engine that was claimed to be OH’d or parts that weren’t compatible. It is possible that it’s aligned dead on and just pushing or pulling the crank and thus wiping out the thrust bearing....

At this point pics are worth thousands of words. Plus some measurements....a man with a tape measure is worth more than a thousand expert opinions.

Thanks All For Your interaction
The guy who going to teardown the crank shft ,He will send to me the pictures and I will upload them.

Guys do you think the running hours will make like this problem .

kshansen

Occupation

Can't agree strongly enough on these points.

Not seeing what the "broken in the crankShaft" really means. Could be some important information is not coming through the translation or there is a miss communication from the guy with hands and eyes on the engine and the poster of this thread.

Not trying to fault anyone here just that when I story goes through too many hands the real problem can turn out to be totally different than what it sounded like at first.

Not suggesting it's the case here but what if engine came out of a truck that was in a bad accident and the crank took a big hit on the front end but still turned over good and was assumed to be a good running take out?

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic

Have seen a hydraulic pump bolted on with a fibre coupling drive that the splines were not lined up . Took the end play right out of the Detroit Diesel 453 Camshaft drive and spun a bearing. Who knows if something was not forced together and the fun begins. Simon

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I don’t know about anyone else but I am struggling to get my head around how an electronic engine from a wheel dozer (834H I imagine) that works at anything between idle and 2100 can be made to run at a constant 1800rpm on a gen set working against a varying electrical load without major surgery. If it was an mechanical injection engine with a Woodward governor on it then the story would be very different.

This installation appears to me to have “lash up” written all over it. I may be wrong, but I’d say that if it walks like a duck & quacks like a duck, it’s probably a duck.

Last edited:

StanRUS

Im sure you can have bad alinement between the to shafts and not have a noticable vibe... @StanRUS whats your thought.
6 cyl inline @ 50Hz could be the natural balance frequency and the flex-plate taking up the mis-alignment= flexing. Applying load creating bending moments, bang, bang 5-minutes, something VERY WRONG
Was the Bellhousing changed? Flywheel? Does the Generator have rear engine mount instead of engine bellhousing? ECM for genset or 834 ECM reflashed?
Pictures would help;)

mante

Hi guys,

In the beginning Thank you All for the good conversation,I really surprised when the mechanic call me and said the Crankshaft broken .... something unbelievable that C15 the King of Hill got broken problem with less than 5 minutes run at 60 Hz.

I went down to get some pictures and I found the lower shell-bearing was damaged and the bearing cap with damaged Crankshaft and connecting rod of piston No.6
After dismantled the bearing cap the engine rotating freely

Attachments

• VID_٢٠١٨١١٢٢_١٧٣٨١_25065.jpg
    VID_٢٠١٨١١٢٢_١٧٣٨١_25065.jpg
    576.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_٢٠١٨١١٢٢_١٧٣٨٥٥.jpg
    IMG_٢٠١٨١١٢٢_١٧٣٨٥٥.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 44

StanRUS

mante,
C15 Cat Gen-Set like the picture? Or similar
Screenshot_2018-11-24 (4) CAT C15 GENERATOR - YouTube.png
Aftermarket parts. Like IPT pistons, liners, rings, main-rod bearings?
Original engine serial number? Flash file number?

Cracked crankshaft, slight vibration
Screenshot_2018-11-24 (4) CAT C15 GENERATOR - YouTube.png slight vib.jpg
Broken Crankshaft broke2.jpg
3hr usage, wrong pistons, truck engine
c15 3hr.jpg
C15 engines are not all the same.

mante

mante,
C15 Cat Gen-Set like the picture? Or similar
View attachment 188561
Aftermarket parts. Like IPT pistons, liners, rings, main-rod bearings?
Original engine serial number? Flash file number?

Cracked crankshaft, slight vibration
View attachment 188561 View attachment 188562
Broken Crankshaft View attachment 188563
3hr usage, wrong pistons, truck engine
View attachment 188564
C15 engines are not all the same.

Yes,
With silencer....
Engine No. JRE07538
The dealer told me that was installed at wheel dozer ..
If you Have SIS could you please check if it was ?