• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

C15 acert

typ4

Occupation
Equipment mechanic for a small company.
So, any experts on this engine here?
Brake stud, studs, broke and went thru the cam and windowed the head side. and the brake unit is broken.
dont have a manual yet, does the cam slide back from the gearcase to remove head. anything to watch for? and where to get a head. Looks like a 7k venture from the dealer.
Thanks in advance.

typ4

Occupation
They did try some aftermarket heads but they were junk . One of the rebuilder shops here said.
So the cam comes out to remove the head? Makes sense just never worked on one of these. thanks

SchuLace

A head from Cat shouldn't be 7k. If you have a good core I would say $3000 max

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
cam has to come out to get head bolts out. I have seen guys pull the doghouse out and take the cam out through the back of head, through the cab. you do have to pull the peanut cover off the front and unbolt the cam gear. then theres a spacer plate behind gear that has to come off. buy CAT parts. you get what you pay for.

typ4

Occupation
Thanks MikeL thats our only option, also the core is broken, thats the reason for the high price, and they wont do any goodwill unless the work is done by a dealer, and I have found out that the pacbrake studs have been a problem on these engines. There is an upgrade.

Do the headbolts need replacing every time, I guess Cat will tell me. although our local dealer is not forthcoming with info.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
you can re use the headbolts but inspect them for pitting. I always took a wire wheel to them to clean off the old crud and make sure they get lubed well with motor oil or moly paste when re installing.:)

SchuLace

What is broke on your old head as far as not being a good core? Cat will let about anything go on a head now for cores

typ4

Occupation
the side of it by the injector lobe, cam pushed the broken stud top and nut out.

tdcrash63

Have seen this happen before. It gets better. You cannot purchase just one brake head you have to buy them in a set of 3. Most of the time the owners will upgrade to Jake Brakes. You can pull the head with the cam still installed. Pull the head. Clean inspect all parts. Load the cam into the replacement head before install. Be carefull to use approved cleaning methods of all parts and the liner cylinder block area. Tap all head bolt holes in block. Clean all head bolts with a wire wheel or brush and inspect. Be carefull to install your cam gear and all related items before you install rocker levers as bolting these items down before can push valves into pistons as cam may be out of time if gear is not installed first. You may be able to find a used set and install tune up kits to save some money. Jake Brake in my opinion is a better product. I was always told by our core person that if it happens under normal operating conditions it is a full core. If it is left outside and rusted, damaged from removal, beat on dropped ect, stripped of parts then it is a partial or no core. Good luck.

typ4

Occupation
we can buy one brake head, they wont allow a core, dealers here are really tight. getting new head bolts, bosses orders. cam is off to the grinder to be/inspected,dressed up.

typ4

Occupation
So, an update, the first new head casting had an egg shaped water ring hole, so they ordered another one, its all good, putting the vva 's on and found another one cracked in the same place the other one broke. So ordered 2 more as they have a new casting that is taller by the vva solenoids, supposed to eliminate cracking.
So Nige sent info for updates, thanks very much.
What is amazing is that what you get for core info varies with who you talk to at the dealer, very frustrating. So far have found out anything that failed under normal operating is acceptable for a core. Wish I would have had that info when getting the head.
So I have found stud updates and different torque specs for these new studs, torque value not a torque plus angle value. So for those who have this engine, research repairs if taken to any dealer to fix, they wont automatically update the studs.
ill get pics of the studs and post them, they "wasp waisted " them to flex a little im guessing.

Since I didnt ask before im guessing the vva clearance and brake clearance gets set same time as the valves on that cylinder?
Thanks for all the advice, you guys are most helpful, this is a great forum.

Oh the new c15 vva # is 20R0271

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
What is amazing is that what you get for core info varies with who you talk to at the dealer, very frustrating. So far have found out anything that failed under normal operating is acceptable for a core. Wish I would have had that info when getting the head.
Oh the new c15 vva # is 20R0271
That shouldn't be the case. Core Acceptance Criteria are "carved in stone" and not negotiable. Not sure what it is for a head but I'd guess something like a dropped valve would disqualify an old head for core acceptance. As an example a cylinder block with internal damage or a hole in it from a rod coming out the side would not qualify.

If you want adjustment procedures for valves and Engine Brake drop me an e-mail but remember to include the Serial Number.

SchuLace

A dropped valve should still be a good core. I have seen Cat accept quite a few of them. An engine with a ventilated block is still a good core as long as it can be turned over 1 complete rotation. Pretty much everything that happens under normal operating conditions will be a good core.