• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

C13 twin turbo

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
ran across a 2006 pete with C13 twin turbo 428 hp serial#kcb 410,000 miles, are they really that bad.smokes white and has a water leak at radiator every one I talked to said dual turbos are bad . are there any tips or tricks to these ,or a good replacement option or just stay away all together

Shimmy1

We tried one a few years ago, 2006 KW T600, 470 hp, 10 sp, 3.70 ratio. 610,000 miles. Pulling 97,000 lbs. Didn't get 500 miles and oil cooler filled rad with oil. $3600 bill. 1000 miles later, 1st turbo tried falling off. Could have been shops fault. 4000 miles, radiator opened up. That and charge-air, $4000. So now we are 4000 miles in, have spent $7600, truck is making 3 to 3.75 mpg. So, we take it to Fargo and have them run it on the dyno. $1200 later, Cat says engine is running and pulling perfectly. At 9000 miles, I notice a small loss of oil pressure. Found some loads to get me to Bismarck to have it checked. New bypass valves, new filter base, new oil pump, down the road $3200. 1000 miles (TWO DAYS!!!!) later, I was losing oil pressure again. Pulled into Dickinson, had called ahead and had Butler set me an oil filter and wrench outside the door, bought a $22 gal of oil at truck stop and changed filter in the parking lot. Had pressure back. Was supposed to load in morning, said hell with it and drove home empty. That weekend we bought the first 9900 with N14.

So, after advertising for a couple weeks, found someone from SD to buy the truck, he didn't even get 30 miles and called asking why truck didn't put out heat. We ended up paying $750 for a new water pump, he paid for labor. Found out a few months later the guy had a head gasket put in within a month, and within two had finally given up and had it overhauled.

In 10,000 miles, between fuel and repairs, we went backwards by about $5000. Also, before anyone asks, I was the only driver, I tried driving it everyway to Sunday. 53 mph, 55 mph, 58mph, driving in 9th gear, nothing worked. One trip I had to bounce 375 miles. Made 3.9. Most awful experience with a truck I believe you could ever imagine, and this truck only had 600,000 miles.

clintm

Occupation
thanks ,does any one know of a good replacement or seen one done to change to a different engine all together that doesn't cost an arm and leg. or can you take twins off and run a single turbo

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
I had a 2005 C13 485. I loved it. Wish I still had it. Pulled strong and no issues at all. Whereas the bigger C15 ACERT's had some issues, the service manager at Toromont Cat told me at the time there weren't even any service bulletins on the C13's. Lifetime fuel economy average on it was 5.3 MPG, whereas my new DD15 is 5.4.

I can't comment on the ones after 2007 with the DPF mufflers. I avoided all engines from 2007 to 2011 until SCR was available.

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
2006, C-13 KCB prefix Acert twin turbo.
Kenworth T-800 quad dump, 8 speed 3.91 gears. 470 HP
Nothing I do is "light" and I do plenty of distance on the highway as well as off road short haul.
310,000 original miles, My Jake has been on the third stage since day one.
Oil cooler replaced ( I combined types of coolant), low pressure turbo locked up at idle, no damage, replaced, high pressure turbo replaced just because I felt it was coming.
Lower tank on the radiator rotted ( common) replaced tank only, oil and filter every 10K, Fuel filters and dessicant filter every 10K, overhead every 100K, Air filter is twice annually spring and fall, ECM lifetime average is 6.4 MPG.
Clutch fan, a belt and an alternator and one set of batteries replaced (common ).
So far mine is outstanding, I am the only driver, I purchase fuel from two locations only and I watch it like a hawk.
So, to the OP.... the lower tank is a formed steel piece made for Paccar only, they all rot out on the lower right corner by the rad hose .
Go drive it around a bit, find someone with a pit and have a look underneath. Service records available ?
Good luck.

Last edited:

clintm

Occupation
thanks , I can't really test drive it it's out of state and auction. that may explain the water leak at radiator I know it's on a least it 2nd owner this one has had it about 2 years. my neighbor work for the local cat dealer for 20+ years he didn't have any thing good to say about them.

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
Cat dealer as in front office, sales,on road, off road, gen sets, rentals........... Not knowing any history is the scary thing, auction is buyer beware. The white smoke could be from running hot and low on fuel too many times? Oil control rings from lack of change interval ? I can not give you any good feedback if you can not personally look the unit over.
Keep searching, something will roll by closer to you.

clintm

Occupation
he was in parts and handled all the cores for remans. now at one of the large local truck dealerships with multiple stores handling all their cores and remans. I expect that it will need engine work most likely major just trying to get a feel for what they are and if there is a better option for a replacement.

ohiofleet

I own a c15 acert 1million miles never done any thing to motor still has original turbos I have seen a lot of c13 with spun mains

clintm

Occupation
I own a c15 acert 1million miles never done any thing to motor still has original turbos I have seen a lot of c13 with spun mains

I think that they are like the 6.0 fords there were a couple of good ones in the bunch.

Shimmy1

That's the problem with Cat truck engines. If you spend any time on the road, you will hear at least 2-3 bad stories to every good one. I'm not exaggerating. As far as Cummins, its usually the opposite. Mix in Detroit, which isn't really fair because there are half as many on road, but I don't really hear much bad about Detroit except they aren't as strong as Cat or Cummins, but will outlast most Cats and be right there at the end with the N14. Don't even get me started on the ISX.

Paystar

Occupation
Detroits and Cummins outlasting Cat's? Bahahahaha. What planet is that on??

Reactions: DB2

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I saw an ad in an equipment mag for a kit to remove the twin turbos and replace it with one.

Owned one C13 Acert in '05 7600 Tandem. Between the Cat engine, International chassis and a crappy dealer - seeing that truck leave the yard with someone else owning it was one of the best professional days of my life..

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
The physics going on inside is detrimental to the long term health and longevity. Incredible injection pressures, high cylinder temps and pressure, re circulation of abrasive exhaust soot. You are lucky to get over 700k out of any emission engine without going inside. The pre emission electronic engines will all make it close to 1 mil relativity easy.

Why do you think everybody is inframing/converting to pre emission or building pre emission gliders. This is in the on road industry. In a dump or really short haul/off road application you can cut your life mileage figures almost in half.

Back in the day cat did a fuel usage to engine life study. It correlated displacement with fuel usage to come up with life expectancy figures. I would like to see this new breed of diesel's numbers and its comparison to the old study.

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
At the company I work for we view the c15 as very reliable main problems we see are semi short injector life and the small fuel regulator/ check valve deformed letting fuel drain from the head. The smaller c series have a few more problems but usually easily fixed. Most everything we work on is 07 or older so not much emissions problems yet. work on trucks cat equipment and other equipment with cat engines. We always feel it's the easy to repair cat products vs other brands do to factor support. We feel it's way easier to get repair info, parts, and tools. There are definitely other manufacturers that have efficient high performance equipment. But I think cat is hard to beat on the long run especially I if down time is expected to be nonexistent. Now they are all just opinions and I'm best set up and familiar with cat but we work on a lot of different makes.

Shimmy1

Detroits and Cummins outlasting Cat's? Bahahahaha. What planet is that on??

Get out on the road, talk to people, I mean LOTS of people, get the Cat mechanics out of the building, on, and on, and on...................

The physics going on inside is detrimental to the long term health and longevity. Incredible injection pressures, high cylinder temps and pressure, re circulation of abrasive exhaust soot. You are lucky to get over 700k out of any emission engine without going inside. The pre emission electronic engines will all make it close to 1 mil relativity easy.

Ya buddy.

Last edited:

Paystar

Occupation
Get out on the road, talk to people, I mean LOTS of people, get the Cat mechanics out of the building, on, and on, and on...................

We switched a whole fleet from Detroit to Cat because the Detroits kept blowing up. And I can let you talk to a whole bunch of people that are sorry they ever bought their ISX's.

I wouldn't buy one of those last Cat's with a DPF muffler either though. But anything older than 2006 is about as reliable engine as you will ever find. They all have problems, but yellow has less.

Shimmy1

I agree COMPLETELY with your comment about ISX. Bad cams, balancers, cranks breaking nose off, head gaskets, EGR valves, EGR coolers, stupid variable geometry turbo, I could list more. But, you will not convince me that overall , Cats in general will outlast Cummins N14 or Detroit 12.7. It is not going to happen. You will have 2 N14's for every C-15 that goes a million.

And, I have never heard of a C-13 going a million (in keeping with the thread topic)

Last edited: