1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

C12 no oil pressure

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by materthegreater, Sep 26, 2022.

1. materthegreater

materthegreater Well-Known Member

Disclaimer: the search function on this site is frustrating! I tried searching for c12 oil pressure and it omitted c12 and oil because the words are too short! How are we supposed to search for things with short names?!

Anyway, back to the question at hand. A customer has a Cat C12 in an International and it has no oil pressure according to the gauge in the dash, and the "warn engine" light comes on. (Disclaimer #2, I'm not a mechanic, just an excavator operator hoping to use this truck for moving stumps)
    I'm suspicious (read: hopeful) that it's just a wiring issue with the pressure sensor. I have no familiarity with cat engines. Where would the sensor be located? Hopefully I can trace the wiring and find the problem. If it's not a bad connection or sensor, then I guess the "warn engine" light should read "worn engine" :confused:

PXL_20220926_204726544.jpg

2. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

Nige and DB2 like this.
  3. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
    C12 no oil pressure? Is there a rod sticking out the side of the block? Cause’ that’s what C12’s like to do.

4. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
    I remember the oil pressure sensor is on the RH side by the water pump.

5. materthegreater

Thanks. I didn't notice any rods sticking out where they aren't supposed to be! It seems to idle fine. I will check for the sensor, thanks.

6. 56wrench

56wrench Senior Member

I’d be checking the oil pressure with a master gauge just to make sure there are no issues with the engine itself and then worry about the gauge/light

92U 3406, Truck Shop, Nige and 2 others like this.
  7. materthegreater

@56wrench , I agree but I probably won't get that involved. If it's not a simple electrical problem then I'll let the owner call a mechanic.

@Coaldust , when you say RH side, is that from the mechanic's or driver's perspective? I couldn't find anything other than the coolant temp sensor on the driver's right hand side. The other side (left when sitting in the truck looking forward) has what looks like a pressure sensor on the end of a hydraulic hose.

PXL_20220929_170904856.jpg

PXL_20220929_170925649_exported_407_1664532853365.jpg

8. 56wrench

56wrench Senior Member

It looks like that sensor is leaking oil. When that happens they are usually kaput

Truck Shop and Nige like this.
  9. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    Left side view of a C12 marine engine, the nearest I could find. On-highway version should have the oil pressure sensor in the same place IMO.

upload_2022-10-1_15-36-1.png

10. materthegreater

A friend came a checked it with a gauge yesterday. 40 psi at idle. Thanks for all the input

56wrench and Truck Shop like this.