• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bypass filtration for engine and/or hydraulic oil

Thixo

There are many benefits to an oil when particles sizes smaller than what OEM filters can remove and when water can be removed. Bypass, or kidney loop, systems have been around since WWII when oil supply to the field was less than reliable.

What are your thoughts on bypass filter systems?

surfer-joe

They are a great idea, if well maintained. The kits are usually expensive, and finding a place to install them is tough on a car or pickup. Benefits include extended oil life, greater filtration, thus less dirt in lubrication oil. If one is using synthetic (expensive) oils, they should be mandatory equipment. However, they are no subsitute for oil analysis. Should go together.

sea_goin_dude

A great improvement to a lubrication system if somewhat expensive. Full flow filters only have a thin layer of filter media due to the fact that a thicker deeper filtration system will cause a greater pressure drop across the filter. A bypass filter takes only part of your oil and filters it through much thicker material thus can remove much smaller particles. A combination full flow/partial/bypass filtration system is a great improvement. Check out the AMSOIL systems at (http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/bf.aspx). The older cars trucks had ONLY the bypass filters without the full flow advantage that we have today. Just remember that just like the full flow filter, the bypass filter will also pass all the oil around without filtering it if the filter is clogged. I have changed full flow filters on cars that feel like they are full of lead because they, long ago opened the bypass valve and had not filtered the oil for months maybe years.
AMSOIL will give you good information about different and improved filter systems and you can decide from there which way to go with your system modifications. Good Luck

Thixo

I'm sure amsoil has acceptable products. Wasn't looking for an amsoil sales pitch.

With a great bypass system and normal bypass filter monitoring it should not take long before the OEM full flow filters will not be catching anything.

Lee-online

Almost all cat hyd filters can be exchanged for a cleanout (high or ultra high) efficiency filter. This is a very cost effective way to really clean the oil without flushing or changing it. Since all the hyd returns to tank there is no need for a bypass filer.

A bypass filter on the larger engines sounds ok but cat uses the total loss system to replenish the oil. Smaller engines, i see no need.

jeff112

my thought is a filter that is too tight say 5 micros and is a bypass type,what do you think the filter is doing with the oil when its cold out every time you start up! cold starts are the worst thing on a engine! why do you think you hold that Murphy button in on start up? you got it no oil pressure,one can talk all they want abought filtration and oil,unless you prime the engine every time you start it,you will have 1/2 the wear of the engine just on cold starts with no oil pressure.

MTI Mark

An interesting note on filtration. The standard engine for mining equipment years ago was an air cooled Deutz. They used a centrifugal filter on the end of the blower shaft. It was actually quite amazing how much crud would build around the outsid edge of the housing over a 200 hour service interval. I had seen up to a 3/16" thick, 3/4" wide band in a about a 6" diameter of debris in the housing. I believe Mack (and probably others) uses a similar type of oil pressure driven centrifugal filter. Keep in mind these are in addition to your typical engine oil filters.