• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Buying used machine, part 2

ktm250rider

Going to take a second look at a Hitatchi ex120-2. It’s got a homebuilt hydraulic thumb which needs a little work to get it to good status. The cylinder diameter is kind of small and when it was first built, the thumb would hit the plumbing and pinched the line. That’s been taken care of with a little grinding but the line still needs to be replaced. Since the cylinder is small, the thumb moves really fast so I’d like to replace it at some point. The undercarriage looks to be in good shape except for the bottom rollers. Looks like the previous owner may have replaced the chains and sprockets but not the rollers. The bottom inner rollers all need replacement. Which doesn’t seem like a hard job for me to too, parts are about $1000. The sprockets have nice squared off tips, no points on any of them. The tracks look to have plenty of adjustment left. The bucket has a little slop but seems about right for a used machine, nothing too serious. First time I looked at it, the auto throttle didn’t not cut the throttle when the controls were stationary. I’d like to make sure that is working. Machine has about 7000 hrs and other than what was mentioned, seems to be in good shape. At least with my limited knowledge. So far it’s the only machine I’ve been able to find with a hydraulic thumb. I’ve found others with auxiliary hydraulics but not with the actual thumb.

So if we end up making a deal, what should I be looking for from the truck driver for transportation? Do they carry insurance for the load when its transported? Usually, when I buy used stuff, I take it home with me but I dont have the capability to transport an excavator. Ive never relied on someone else for transportation. Of course ill have this same question even if I don’t purchase this one.