• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Buying used Kub svl75 vs NH lt185b vs Bobcat t300 or?

rms2

First post here after lots of searching. I currently have a 1999 JD 4200 and am trying to selectively thin and harvest trees on my land to mill for a cabin and outbuildings. I also have 1.5 miles of hilly gravel road to maintain and clear snow from. At first I was looking for a bigger tractor and liked the kubota 4240 but the sales guy put me in a Bobcat T300 and in my hilly terrain I can see how with a grapple for moving logs to the mill or trailer that would be a great machine. So if that is good advice there are several used machines I am looking at. A 2013 kubota svl75 with 1600 hours, a 2005 NH lt185b with 430 hours, a 2011 NH C190 with 1200 hours, and a 2003 Bobcat t300 with 1900 hours. All run well with no immediately obvious problems. There is also the option of JD 319e 2015 with 900 hours at around 40k (a little above budget for now), the others are all around 30k. I'm looking used since, well, with kids in college there just isn't enough left to buy new right now.

Having never owned a track steer I am looking for any and all advice you can give me. Is a CTL a good machine for the use I have described? What machine will be best in the woods for tree work in hilly terrain? And for gravel road maintenance and the occasional Virginia snow storm (had almost 3 feet of wet heavy snow 2 years ago!!) Would I be better off just buying a small utility tractor of 40-50hp like I started off doing?

I am looking at only models with cabs as it gets real hot in the summer here and plowing snow at 4am to go to work was a real pain on my little 4200 wearing goggles and storm suit.

Also of note, my nearby JD dealer and service are excellent (James River Eqpt in Fishersville, VA), local Kubota is good. NH is a bit further away but good. I also have a connection at the local Cat center but haven't even looked there as they seem to be a lot more expensive, but am planning to call them just to check options there too.

Planedriver

Occupation
Farmer
With all due respect. Pix would be good.

How hilly is hilly? How big are the trees? Will you be stumping? Are you carrying the trees to your mill or skidding them? Is time important to you?

The equipment on your list may be a little light as I'm imagining the intended uses.

rms2

I will try to post some pictures later today. It's rolling Virginia terrain, hilly but not mountainous. Some gullies and ravines with a couple wet drainages. There are a few small rock outcroppings scattered about. Some of the trees to be removed are 60-100 foot tall, those are mainly poplars, some oak, and lots of trees in the below 60 foot range. I will remove some of the stumps. And I can carry or skid the trees. The longest length needed will be probably 20 feet. Mostly need to make dimensional boards in 8-14 foot lengths. I have more time than money currently though not nearly as much of either as I would like or need!

Planedriver

Occupation
Farmer
Based on what you have said so far I would consider engaging a logger to cut and land the trees you want in exchange for trees that he takes as compensation. With the proceeds, my inclination would be to buy a decent backhoe to maintain your drive and do some stumping.

Shimmy1

For what you're looking to do, you are going to want the Bobcat. Handling trees on slopes will take some finesse, the bigger machine, the better.