• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Buying older dump

suladas

That’s good to know, definitely need to find somewhere new. Too bad you went to south side location, good friend of mine is foreman at first truck in west end and knows his stuff. Did you deal with Mark there? He’s never turned a wrench in his life and is a douche. City spring is great, west end first truck won’t even touch suspension they just take trucks there because that’s all they do and it’s cheap. I think their rate now is $180 or $190 which is why I don’t take my truck there. But I bet my bill would have been the same as I paid and they stand behind their work. He said they get that a lot, lower rate shops tack on so many extra hours to make up for lower rate.

Setting up building at my yard to do most stuff for what it costs it makes sense. Anyone can fix lights, air leaks, basic stuff and save a lot.

Welder Dave

I think the SS location was trying to tack stuff on and they were already a lot higher rate. When I picked the truck up they just gave me the keys. That's when I looked at the invoice and it said broken spring. The guy from the service counter walked out with me but wasn't familiar with what was done. The foreman at the time seemed annoyed I asked him to go over the truck with me and show me the broken spring. I had to wait about 10 minutes for the foreman to come out and he was like, what do you want? Not impressed at all. I did go into the West end location once looking for an odd part and the parts guy there seemed pretty good. Didn't have what I was looking for but suggested where I might get it.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Good shops are becoming less prevalent these days, have two here where I will allow to change a tire or service my light equipment but NOT touching my older and more serious service machines or doing any heavy maintenance. The Pete shop when was driving replaced the bad differential in that truck, went Meritor Reman as was "Cheaper" yet got to doing numbers and do not think so where also took a full week to get it swapped then had issues with the thrushaft leaking, failed to check the bearings in that and had tons of metal run thru it. Just not many shops I trust anymore.