1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Buying older dump

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by suladas, Mar 30, 2019.

1. suladas

suladas Senior Member

Well there is a place in the city that says they stock Donaldson filters so i'll give them a try, there is a partial number on the filter but worse case they should be able to match it up if I bring them the old one as it is a Donaldson. Before this truck and a short lapse of judgment with a Maxxforce the only diesels engines i've ever owned is Cummins, and I would not hesitate to ever run their filters in their motors. But if there is a better option for this i'm fine with it. Cost doesn't matter a whole lot to me as it's not like i'm going to be changing it again anytime soon.

Drained the coolant and power steering fluid, both looked perfect which is good. Belts looked worse before I pulled them but they were still in decent shape, oh well last thing I want to do is trying to change a belt on the side of the road. I didn't notice any coolant or power steering filter though, i'll have to take a picture of them both maybe i'm missing something? Is there a certain brand I should stick to for the coolant sticking with the green stuff?

DMiller likes this.
  2. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

What are the problems with Baldwin filters?

3. Nige

Nige Senior Member

In a word, they're sh1t......
    Too many bad experiences over the years in all sorts of systems, not just engines.

4. JTWAT

JTWAT Well-Known Member

If you are using NAPA filters, you are using WIX.

DMiller likes this.
  5. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    Pretty much, made by GARD corporation in Gastonia... wherever. So are the CARQUEST filters. I use Napa or Wix on my personal stuff and never had an issue.
    Been using Luberfiner brand on the customer trucks with no issues yet. Haven't checked to see who is making them.

DMiller likes this.
  6. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Champion owns Luberfiner, plants in IL, MI, CA and Costa Rica. Hard to find suppliers around here for some reason.

7. suladas

suladas Senior Member

Finally got truck in for inspection and it's not bad at all. 2 tires are cracked and in rough shape, 1 rear axle needs brakes, 1 s-cam in backwards needs to be fixed, few lights, few air leaks, 2 leaking brake pods, power steering leak. Nothing big at all. Thinking I should make out around the $3000-$3500 mark which I can't complain about at all. Have about another $1,000 replacing fluids, filters, and belts. Bit more to get a better seat, stereo, etc. I was concerned at first, they called me and said we haven't even pulled the wheels and have a list a page long, should we even keep going? But all it was was a bunch of tiny stuff.

DMiller likes this.
  8. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

how do you put an S-cam in backwards?

DMiller and RZucker like this.
  9. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

I put them in with the shaft pointed out once, but then I had trouble getting the drum on. I figured out what I was doing wrong and swapped it around.

DMiller, Mother Deuce and RZucker like this.
  10. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

Put them on the wrong sides. They don't work that way but they will install and look OK to a novice.

Although with COs way, he needed to get a bigger hammer.

Truck Shop and DMiller like this.
  11. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

All depends on whether the S-cam is mounted in front or behind axle housing.

Mother Deuce and DMiller like this.
  12. suladas

suladas Senior Member

Yea that's exactly what it was, passenger side put in on the drivers side.

Although after going by to drop off new tires today, I have a lot less confidence in the shop, specifically the guy who's working on it, I don't know that much about brakes but it was pretty clear I knew more then him. It's kind of scary to see who's working on vehicles, i'm going to have to go over the axle they touched to make sure it's done properly. I hope he was just the apprentice and someone better is looking over him.The last brakes I got done on my trailer (at a different place) they didn't put a cotter key in the pin for the brake, and basically shrugged it off when I told them about it, and thought I was blowing it out of proportion when I told them that could have been a million dollar cotter key if that pin came out with my hoe on the trailer at 60 mph.

DMiller likes this.
  13. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

Most can't even tell the difference between standard and plus S-cams

DMiller likes this.
  14. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

If you pay a shop to fix your stuff generally you have to be after a certain guy to work on it, not the business name on the sign over the door, unless the owner/manager is known to be attentive to that stuff.

DMiller likes this.