• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Buying a dozer

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Is why I own a '99 LB Ext cab SD Ford 7.3, what I cannot get in the bed goes in the back seat!! Have pulled gooseneck and fifth wheels since bought.

Jakebreak

Occupation
operator/pipelayer/mechanic
Look at transferflow they make some nice combos that might fit but they are a little pricey. I'm having the same promblem with my SB pick up. I have a flatbed with a fuel tank on it but it gets old having to go back to get it if something needs fuel. Don't think I will buy another SB. Not enough room for tools and fuel if you want to hook up a gooseneck.
they are pricey I have looked at a few online and at $2200 and up I don't think I can get one made cheaper than that my buddy at work said he has a transfer flow combo I could look at but he thinks it doesn't take and external pump he thinks its one of the ones that you hook up directly to your fuel tank so you just flip a switch on the go and it fills your truck up

Jakebreak

Occupation
Is why I own a '99 LB Ext cab SD Ford 7.3, what I cannot get in the bed goes in the back seat!! Have pulled gooseneck and fifth wheels since bought.
yes sir you cant beat the good ole 7.3 I guess I will have to talk the bosses into getting me a work truck that's setup for site work with a diesel tank lol

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If dragging a serious load on the Goose I would look into a class 7 single axle flatbed. Something along the lines of a business class FrtLnr or IHC even the smaller series Petes and KWs. I have worked my Ford to death having rebuilt the rear diff twice and it needs attention again at 340000 miles, smoked the 4R100 at 290000 misc other issues as was just using too little truck to do too much work.

Jakebreak

Occupation
If dragging a serious load on the Goose I would look into a class 7 single axle flatbed. Something along the lines of a business class FrtLnr or IHC even the smaller series Petes and KWs. I have worked my Ford to death having rebuilt the rear diff twice and it needs attention again at 340000 miles, smoked the 4R100 at 290000 misc other issues as was just using too little truck to do too much work.
10-4 on that I'm not worried about moving this dozer around I have access to our heavy haul Kenworth with a Cozad and I have a class a commercial license I think what I'm going to do is just set a tank in the truck when I'm using the dozer for fuel and then just take it out when I'm not needing the diesel for the machine I appreciate your input and advice

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

That was a good year model. I have an '01 with almost 200K on the clock that daily goes to the job. My '13 6.7 has been great as well with 85K on the meter.

Survived 5 - 6.0's in the fleet, still gives me nightmares.:mad:

Jakebreak

Occupation
That was a good year model. I have an '01 with almost 200K on the clock that daily goes to the job. My '13 6.7 has been great as well with 85K on the meter.

Survived 5 - 6.0's in the fleet, still gives me nightmares.:mad:
ouch on those 6.0 my brother has my 99 7.3 2wd truck in texas with only 170k on it and he has had offer of 15-20k to sell it cause everyone wants one you cant beat those trucks hows the 6.7 treating you cm

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
My 6.7 has been great Jakebreak. It is by far the strongest stock truck I have ever owned. Looking forward to the next generation with more HP and torque.

Problem is I've read where you won't be able to order a MY 2018 until Nov. of this year.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Jakebreak another option for a tank is a sqaure 55 gallon. I have one we use from time to time. It will fit in the back corner of the truck bed and you can still hook up a trailer. Doesn't look the best but is fuctional and can easily be moved around. We have used it in the back of the mule to fuel up when it was wet and have also set it on the front corner of the gooseneck. Think it came from TSC.

Jakebreak

Occupation
This tank says 43" x 31", fuel tank and tool box combo. I have a L shape tank, you may be able to just put your chest on top of a L shape tank, and not buy the tool box. This one is 75 gal, they have a 90 gallon deezee that's not much bigger, but its twice the price.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...transfer-tank-black-steel-75-gal?cm_vc=IOPDP1
not a bad looking tank but I only have 26" from front of bed to my goose neck its one of those hideaway goose necks I'm thinking I will just set the tank in the truck when I run the dozer and when I don't need it just take it out I have access to a forklift so it wont be a problem. CM that's good to here about that 6.7 I would be leery about the ford diesels especially after their run of 6.0 I'm just not to keen on wanting a new diesel with all the def stuff on it my brother in law has a new dodge with a cummins in it and he loves it its been a good truck for him

Jakebreak

Occupation
Jakebreak another option for a tank is a sqaure 55 gallon. I have one we use from time to time. It will fit in the back corner of the truck bed and you can still hook up a trailer. Doesn't look the best but is fuctional and can easily be moved around. We have used it in the back of the mule to fuel up when it was wet and have also set it on the front corner of the gooseneck. Think it came from TSC.
thanks for the advice I found a 90 gallon one at the shop I will just wind up throwing it in the truck when I need it if I ever get a new truck down the road I will have to keep in mind in getting a long bed and get away from the short beds

Jakebreak

Occupation
I finally got the dozer up to our property and put 5 hrs on it today fixing some roads up I couldn't be happier with it. It ran really well plenty of power and just the right size for what we need I got a bunch more work for it coming up this winter we just need some rain so I can get some moisture in the dirt