• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Buying a dozer

Jakebreak

Occupation
operator/pipelayer/mechanic
Around here a rails overhaul with DECENT aftermarket, replacing all the worn components and rebuilt idlers you are looking around $14,000 undercarriage for one of these. Does NOT include labor. Just throwing that in for a mindset of expenses to follow purchase.
That's not to bad we have a shop and a mechanic we could do the undercarriage ourselves if we had to

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
There is a guy here in Tx that gets these dozers goes through them and then sells them. He can will do whatever the customer wants to one. Shipping would probably be high to CA though. I can get his # if needed

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
There is a guy here in Tx that gets these dozers goes through them and then sells them. He can will do whatever the customer wants to one. Shipping would probably be high to CA though. I can get his # if needed

I've kind of pondered doing that myself. A few a year maybe. Keep track of what you do so you can show the customer.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Would be a good machine if completely gone over but would be expensive. At least a few dozens of hours just inspecting ten the few weeks to go thru it, a real challenge.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Their shop is close to me and they stay pretty busy. Some how they have contacts around the country to get older dozers. I say older they pretty much only deal with Cat C series, Case G series, and Deere G series and older, I believe 100 hp and below. They don't do any hrdro tractors. Sometimes they have D4 or 5 H's. They fix all the leaks replace whats needed paint them and sell them with a warranty. Seems like a pretty good business. A friend of mine bought one this year. He picked one that hadn't been started on yet told them what he wanted done and agreed on a price. It was really nice when they finshed it.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
That's almost exactly what I've been kicking around. There's a strong demand for that size around me. The source for fair a priced start could be a challenge. I considered Cat and a series or two that way if I got hosed on a Machine I'd have it for parts as I went along.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Junkyard, There is a certain price point for theses dozers from what I have seen. PM me if you want more info. That size dozer is easy to operate, hual, work on, etc. they also pay for themselves really quick and hold their value. The avg guy with a couple hundred acres can afford one and make them pay pretty easy.

Theres a really nice looking D5H for sale in Atoka, Ok. I don't think that's too far from Junkyard.

Jakebreak

Occupation
Junkyard, There is a certain price point for theses dozers from what I have seen. PM me if you want more info. That size dozer is easy to operate, hual, work on, etc. they also pay for themselves really quick and hold their value. The avg guy with a couple hundred acres can afford one and make them pay pretty easy.

Theres a really nice looking D5H for sale in Atoka, Ok. I don't think that's too far from Junkyard.
if you get a chance pm me the guys contact info on those dozers I wouldn't mind talking to him and see what he has then I can look at trucking if not I guess I will have to jump in the lowboy myself and have a road trip come on I seen that 5 in Oklahoma if I remember right it wasn't a bad looking machine I wonder if I send junkyard some beer and whiskey he might want to look at it for me

Jakebreak

Occupation
I found a d5h in city of industry on machinery trader but I don't know how to post links for that on here I might go look at it

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Lot of the machines in CA are being destroyed to get more Tier 4 systems on service. CA state has a buyback program where the turned over machines are damaged AFTER the sale to prohibit re-use, that will make viable machines there top dollar as well cannot ship older purchased machines in according to my brother from Temecula.

Jakebreak

Occupation
Lot of the machines in CA are being destroyed to get more Tier 4 systems on service. CA state has a buyback program where the turned over machines are damaged AFTER the sale to prohibit re-use, that will make viable machines there top dollar as well cannot ship older purchased machines in according to my brother from Temecula.
That sounds about right for commie California I saw on the news this morning that they just extended the cap and trade program for another ten years go figure I guess if I find something I will have to figure it out if it becomes a problem

Jakebreak

Occupation
How hard would it be to switch a winch out on a dozer in place of rippers I looked at a d6 not sure if it was a d model or a little older it has a winch its been taken care of really well original owner

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Gonna have to contact the parts rep on that one, s/n with that. Could be easy, may be extensive with controls upgrade and mounts change.

Jakebreak

Occupation
I got the report from cat on that D5h I found haven't had a chance to look at it going on. Monday to look at it and run it it says the engine is good tranny good right side lift arm needs to be resealed right side track recoil spring needs a seal in it rails are 50% the pins are 20% and have never been turned. What would you guess how long I can get on those pins I'm thinking if it's not to much money and if I like the machine about having them turn the pins on the rails and get that recoil spring on the track tensioner resealed also would I get some life out of them I'm only looking at a few hundred hours a year on the machine

Jakebreak

Occupation
I got the report from cat on that D5h I found haven't had a chance to look at it going on. Monday to look at it and run it it says the engine is good tranny good right side lift arm needs to be resealed right side track recoil spring needs a seal in it rails are 50% the pins are 20% and have never been turned. What would you guess how long I can get on those pins I'm thinking if it's not to much money and if I like the machine about having them turn the pins on the rails and get that recoil spring on the track tensioner resealed also would I get some life out of them I'm only looking at a few hundred hours a year on the machine

Jakebreak

Occupation
we bought the d5h its getting the lift arm resealed and the track tensioner resealed it was in really good shape no blow by on the motor, tranny shifted good it held it in 2nd gear, it didn't get hot after pushing with it for about an hour hopefully it shows up with a week or two I got a bunch of work for it. According to cat on the undercarriage it still has quite a bit of life left in it before the pins need to be turned. how many people are running a transfer tank in the back of their pickups with a tool box I got a chest box now I'm looking at a tank and a cross bed box the problem I'm finding is I need something less than 30" wide cause of my goose neck hitch in the bed and I have a short bed truck the only thing I have found that would work is 40-50 gallon tank any thoughts or recommendations. thank you guys for all your help and answer on this for me I appreciate it

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Probably have to step up in trucks to get more tank room or eliminate the cross bed storage box.

Jakebreak

Occupation
I like my short bed and the truck is paid for its a 02 7.3 4x4 with only 175k on it you cant beat that good ol ford diesel the best one they made and If I find one I'm going to get rid of my chest box and go to a cross box
Probably have to step up in trucks to get more tank room or eliminate the cross bed storage box.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Look at transferflow they make some nice combos that might fit but they are a little pricey. I'm having the same promblem with my SB pick up. I have a flatbed with a fuel tank on it but it gets old having to go back to get it if something needs fuel. Don't think I will buy another SB. Not enough room for tools and fuel if you want to hook up a gooseneck.