1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Buying a dozer

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by Jakebreak, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Jakebreak

Jakebreak Senior Member

operator/pipelayer/mechanic
    I was wondering what everybody's opinion is on a d5h dozer we're looking at buying a dozer and we're thinking a 4-5 size machine to do firebreaks some road work in the mountains and helping out to backfill ditches on jobs when it's needed I'm thinking a 6 way blade and rippers don't want anything to new with electronics

2. JS300

JS300 Senior Member

Power Plant and Cattle
    I was told to stay away from the H series machines because engine parts were getting hard to find. This may or may not be true but would be worth looking into before purchasing. Also the older dozers seem to have tougher built bodies and don't get banged up as easy. Good luck

3. Bluox

Bluox Senior Member

D5H has a 3304 engine you can get new parts anywhere.
    Bob

4. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

Problem is most of these vintage tractors are getting so many hours on them. You might get lucky and find one with less than 10,000 hrs and been used relatively easy.

5. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap "old" Geezer
    I really get aggravated hearing 1980's/90's machines called vintage, makes me feel ancient!!

6. Jakebreak

Jakebreak Senior Member

thanks for your replies we figured a d6 would be nice but it might be a little to big for what we are wanting to do with it moving it is easy for us I have never ran a d5h only a 4 and a 6 and I loved them both shimmy your right about trying to find one for a low price with low hours on it but high hours don't scare me to bad as long as the machine has been taken care of hopefully I can find one with a good undercarriage on it we would probably only put a few hundred hours a year on it if that depending if we put it on a job and use it and I definitely don't want a cab

7. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

After I typed it, I thought about rewording it to say "tractors of that vintage", LOL. I certainly wasn't trying to call a D5H a vintage tractor, to me it has to be a "D" for most dozers to be considered vintage. Sorry for makin you feel old, DMiller.

8. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

Yeah, machines "of that vintage" (for you, DMiller)were not known for their comfort level. If the A/C works at all, they are still noisy and hot with the doors closed, you might as well be in the open air. It does get old eating dirt, though. Spent quite a few hours on a open station 7H. You were ready to be done at the end of the day. Just for the record, since I know some of you older guys get pissy when you hear us young punks complaining about A/C, I started operating in 1990, and did not get to run a machine with air until 2004. It took until 2010 for me to get a truck with air.

9. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

You're in north dakota, are you sure you even need air? I hear you only get three days of summer, a spring morning, a fall afternoon and its winter the rest of the time....:)

Austin2943 and movindirt like this.
  10. catman13

catman13 Senior Member

refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
    go with the d5h , i have a d5h xl series 2 and love it , good all a round machine

11. Jakebreak

Jakebreak Senior Member

What is the difference on a series 2 compared to a regular h I understand xl means extra long undercarriage

12. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    You say D series is vintage. My most modern machine is a very early D4D. I thought it was state of the art compared to the rest of the iron. ;););)

DMiller likes this.
  13. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap "old" Geezer
    You must have a yard as bad as mine!!o_O

14. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

Ok, I'll try again. "Built before 1960." Does that work for everyone??

15. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    Just bigger with more stuff to tinker with. No Allis though.....

16. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap "old" Geezer
    Damn, Best projects are Allis, harder to fix with parts scarce!!

As to shimmy1, young whipper snapper!!

17. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    Any old iron is a good project.

18. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap "old" Geezer
    Aint it the truth! You bought that Terex Euc yet??

19. Jakebreak

Jakebreak Senior Member

Man thats good stuff cabs don't bother me I just used to running open cabs for awhile I love it even when's it's hot or cold if any of you guys come across a d5 let me know been looking around on the internet today came across one in Washington but the grouser look really worn down and the tracks are dang near touching the tensioner ram on it I appreciate the advice and the conversation

20. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap "old" Geezer
    Around here a rails overhaul with DECENT aftermarket, replacing all the worn components and rebuilt idlers you are looking around $14,000 undercarriage for one of these. Does NOT include labor. Just throwing that in for a mindset of expenses to follow purchase.