• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Busted!

ddiiggy

Broken backhoe. Cat 416C. :(
Was just scratching in the dirt. Heard something go 'crack'. Bucket acted funny.
The end of the extenda-hoe where the top end of the bucket ram connects on broke off of the tube. :confused:

Got it most of the way apart tonight.
I think I have to take off the sliders to get the head out of the dipper. ??

I think this will weld back together. It has been yeeeaaars since I did any real welding. Used to work in a shop and had wire-feed to weld everything. Now only have an old buzz-box to weld with. I dunno if I want to tackle this.

Anybody have this happen before?
Suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_0126.jpg
    IMG_0126.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 539

ddiiggy

So, are you suggesting it might not be good to try to fix this?
or maybe just easier to get a new/used one?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
In my opinion, it will be easier and better in the long run to find a good used replacement than making a weld repair. I have a 420D IT and if mine ever broke like yours I would replace the whole inner stick.

Now it would probably be cheaper to repair, especially if you do it yourself. It depends on how you work the machine, is it a money maker or a hobby machine? In the end you need to make the decision that's best for you. Keep us posted.

ddiiggy

Not a money maker... No matter how much I try. :)

We just use it around the properties.
Put in some culverts...
Need to do some drainfields & dig for septic tanks...

Is ANY 416c piece going to fit, or do I need to worry about year?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Not a money maker... No matter how much I try. :)

LOL, yeah mines not a money maker right now either.

As far as being the same for all 416C's, I don't know. I would get the part number for yours and check it against any replacement you find. Is there a part number stamped on the stick?

Heavy Highway

We have had the same issue with the same machine, long ago, actually, when it was fairly new. I'm pretty sure we welded it up and its still running fine to this day (well, that part is, its a tired rig these days)

Its been a long time, I remember when it happened out on one of my jobs, so I am not for sure how we handled it.