• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Busted Bomag Version 2.0

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
G4me's story reminded me of an incident that happened quite a while ago, involving a walk behind roller.

We had rented a roller to compact the backfill in a sewer trench. For those unfamiliar with the type, the only controls are the throttle, with positions of "stop", "idle", "slow", and "fast/vibrate"; and the directional control, with "forward", "nuetral", and "backward".

(Come to think of it, we learned several lessons that day, about that roller. The first one sheds light on the experience level of the guy who was involved in the rest of it.

Did you know those engines will run backwards?

The way you start them, is to turn the compression release to the proper position, and then take the good old fashioned hand crank ,and crank like crazy. The compression release ticks around until it reaches a certain point, and clicks off, and by that time you have enough momentum in the engine for it to start--usually.

This day, the laborer didn't crank quite vigorously enough, so that when the compression release went off, instead of continuing to crank in the proper direction, the cylinder rebounded, so the speak, and the engine began to run backwards. I may not be describing the mechanics of the process quite right, but the results soon became clear. Exhaust began blowing out of the air cleaner, which was pretty much of a mystery for the moment, but when the control handle was moved to forward, and the machine moved back toward me, I figured it out pretty quickly. :pointhead

So, the first lesson learned, which was a new one on me altogether, is that if you don't CRANK that thing hard, it can run backwards.)

Anyway...

I'd begun filling the trench, and made a makeshift ramp to allow the laborer to walk the machine into the hole. The ramp was a little steep, but since the only goal was to use it to go downhill, I didn't see that as a problem.

The laborer took the roller, and started it down the slope, but for some inexplicable reason, put it in neutral. They are slow, and I think he just figured it would coast down there quicker than it would walk. Well, it almost instantly started moving faster than he was comfortable with, so he did the natural thing to do when you want to stop that particular variety of machine from moving forward; he pulled the handle back. Back from neutral, is, of course, into reverse. :cool2

Since this was done at a speed much greater than either God or Mr. Bomag had intended for that particular model, the result was to make expensive little pieces of the drivetrain, which is normally composed of expensive bigger pieces. :eek:

There was no personal injury involved, and fortunately, nobody was in the way. If we take for granted that any time a machine gets out of the full control of its operator a threat to safety exists, there were several other lessons learned.

One--the obvious one to all of us; when taking a walk behind roller down a steep slope, low speed on the engine, and keeping it in forward gear, is the way to go. (And maybe don't make the slope as steep next time.)

Two--which was the less obvious one, but the more important; be sure that the people you assign to do things are experienced enough to recognize the hazards in situations they haven't encountered before, or discuss those hazards beforehand. I knew this laborer had run the roller back and forth on flat ground, but I also knew that was all he'd done with it, and he'd had a misadventure at that. I'll share the blame for this one, since I never thought to discuss the best way of safely getting the roller down that slope.

Last edited:

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Well, it almost instantly started moving faster than he was comfortable with, so he did the natural thing to do when you want to stop that particular variety of machine from moving forward; he pulled the handle back. Back from neutral, is, of course, into reverse. :cool2

I think another caution would be if the drivetrain did hold together. His body would be moving in forward motion with the machine and by throwing it in reverse, it could've come to a sudden stop or even worse started moving backwards. I doubt he would've been able to stop his momentum causing him to run into or tumble over the machine causing injury.

Luckily if didn't happen like that.

What was the elevation difference between the top of the ramp and the bottom?

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
His body would be moving in forward motion with the machine and by throwing it in reverse, it could've come to a sudden stop or even worse started moving backwards.

No. He wasn't really moving that fast, and the ramp was steep enough that the roller would never have been able to climb up it, regardless of what the operator did.

What was the elevation difference between the top of the ramp and the bottom?

I'm going to guess (since it was quite a while ago, like about 1980 or 81), that it was in the neighborhood of six feet in depth. Not very far. And the angle of the ramp was probably about 30 degrees.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
No. He wasn't really moving that fast, and the ramp was steep enough that the roller would never have been able to climb up it, regardless of what the operator did.

Oh ok, I was kinda picturing the guy chasing after it and grabbing the lever at the last minute. I watch too many movies. :D

I'm going to guess (since it was quite a while ago, like about 1980 or 81), that it was in the neighborhood of six feet in depth. Not very far. And the angle of the ramp was probably about 30 degrees.

I'm guessing you were on a backhoe......could it have been lowered in the hole with that or was it too heavy?

1980-81 huh.......I was just a thought back then. :cool:

thejdman04

G4me's story reminded me of an incident that happened quite a while ago, involving a walk behind roller.

We had rented a roller to compact the backfill in a sewer trench. For those unfamiliar with the type, the only controls are the throttle, with positions of "stop", "idle", "slow", and "fast/vibrate"; and the directional control, with "forward", "nuetral", and "backward".

(Come to think of it, we learned several lessons that day, about that roller. The first one sheds light on the experience level of the guy who was involved in the rest of it.

Did you know those engines will run backwards?

The way you start them, is to turn the compression release to the proper position, and then take the good old fashioned hand crank ,and crank like crazy. The compression release ticks around until it reaches a certain point, and clicks off, and by that time you have enough momentum in the engine for it to start--usually.

This day, the laborer didn't crank quite vigorously enough, so that when the compression release went off, instead of continuing to crank in the proper direction, the cylinder rebounded, so the speak, and the engine began to run backwards. I may not be describing the mechanics of the process quite right, but the results soon became clear. Exhaust began blowing out of the air cleaner, which was pretty much of a mystery for the moment, but when the control handle was moved to forward, and the machine moved back toward me, I figured it out pretty quickly. :pointhead

So, the first lesson learned, which was a new one on me altogether, is that if you don't CRANK that thing hard, it can run backwards.)

Anyway...

I'd begun filling the trench, and made a makeshift ramp to allow the laborer to walk the machine into the hole. The ramp was a little steep, but since the only goal was to use it to go downhill, I didn't see that as a problem.

The laborer took the roller, and started it down the slope, but for some inexplicable reason, put it in neutral. They are slow, and I think he just figured it would coast down there quicker than it would walk. Well, it almost instantly started moving faster than he was comfortable with, so he did the natural thing to do when you want to stop that particular variety of machine from moving forward; he pulled the handle back. Back from neutral, is, of course, into reverse. :cool2

Since this was done at a speed much greater than either God or Mr. Bomag had intended for that particular model, the result was to make expensive little pieces of the drivetrain, which is normally composed of expensive bigger pieces. :eek:

There was no personal injury involved, and fortunately, nobody was in the way. If we take for granted that any time a machine gets out of the full control of its operator a threat to safety exists, there were several other lessons learned.

One--the obvious one to all of us; when taking a walk behind roller down a steep slope, low speed on the engine, and keeping it in forward gear, is the way to go. (And maybe don't make the slope as steep next time.)

Two--which was the less obvious one, but the more important; be sure that the people you assign to do things are experienced enough to recognize the hazards in situations they haven't encountered before, or discuss those hazards beforehand. I knew this laborer had run the roller back and forth on flat ground, but I also knew that was all he'd done with it, and he'd had a misadventure at that. I'll share the blame for this one, since I never thought to discuss the best way of safely getting the roller down that slope.

well said

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
could it have been lowered in the hole with that or was it too heavy?

No. Not too heavy, but more fiddling around, and craning heavy stuff into tight spaces like a trench has it's own set of challenges. It just seemed more expedient to make a few passes with the bucket and make a ramp.

Grader4me

Two--which was the less obvious one, but the more important; be sure that the people you assign to do things are experienced enough to recognize the hazards in situations they haven't encountered before, or discuss those hazards beforehand.I knew this laborer had run the roller back and forth on flat ground, but I also knew that was all he'd done with it, and he'd had a misadventure at that. I'll share the blame for this one, since I never thought to discuss the best way of safely getting the roller down that slope.

:yup It's called a tailgate meeting. I know this was discussed in another thread, but it is something we all should do, and encourage others to do as well. Could save a life, maybe your own.