• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bushing removal

jack345

My winter project will be starting in next few months, I plan on replacing swing bracket bushings and pins on my Kubota ex all the bushings are pressed type and are NOT welded what type of hand tools will I need ? I do have a hand press used for working on pickups etc. Thanks

Permafrost-ed

Ive done this in the bush a few times on 200 and 300 size machines. You didn't mention the size of the machine but I doubt its rocket science either way. I run a weld around the bushing while its in the machine, quench it with H2o then hit it with a drift (punch) from the other side. They usually fall out easily. Install the new one carefully with a big seal driver. Its a bit of a grunt job but not difficult.

lumberjack

Yeah run a weld around the bushing, the water isn't required but it makes it faster.

Freezing the new bushings will shrink them and make them go in easier.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Nice to see no one has mentioned hacking them out with a torch or arc air torch. I reckon half the money I've made over 25 years of line boring has been from repairing good bores that have been snaggered removing bearings.:D The easy way is to get a torch and heat a spot on the end of the bearing. When the surface starts to melt move the torch through the bore just fast enough to get that melt line. If its a bearing with lots of crush on it like an Hitachi you may need another melt line on the other side.Let it cool a bit and it will tap out.If you got the bore vertical go for a coffee and it will be on the ground when you come back.:)

jack345

Job completed, I did weld around the inside of bushing for removing and used dry ice to install. They came out a lot easier than putting new ones back in. When all is said & done no too bad of job . Thanks for your help.

Permafrost-ed

Job completed, I did weld around the inside of bushing for removing and used dry ice to install. They came out a lot easier than putting new ones back in. When all is said & done no too bad of job . Thanks for your help.

Well done! Yeah its a bit of a grunty, messy job but not to bad so long as the pins have seen regular greasing and aren't to pounded. The day my co-worker has to change his pins and bushings in his 200 Ill be far far away.... his machine gets about one "annual greasing". LOL.