1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Building logging roads in the BC interior

Discussion in 'Forestry Operations' started by BDFT, Aug 4, 2012.

1. BDFT

BDFT Senior Member

Found myself loading rock the other day. Here's some pics.

My saddlehorse. Cat EL240. 18000+ hrs but still pretty tight.
    Neufeld-2.jpg

My view from the rock pit.
    Neufeld-5.jpg

Cat 527 spreading rock.
    Neufeld-3.jpg

Filling holes for the 8N.
    Neufeld-1.jpg

Another shot of the 8N
    Neufeld-4.jpg

Note that the logs are already processed. Often the roads are built after the wood is skidded and processed.
    The loader might be weeks behind. This particular outfit moves about 1000 cubic meters a day so no one waits for anybody.
    The skidders chase the bunchers and the processors chase the skidders. The loader chases everybody.

2. JDOFMEMI

JDOFMEMI Senior Member

Nice pictures there. Thanks BDFT

3. firetruck dvr.

firetruck dvr. Active Member

Full time firefighter engineer, and part time heav
    Nice pics thanks for sharing!

4. csquared

csquared Well-Known Member

who are you working for? just doing 2 bundles on trucks? being just one deck, not a front and back deck, it looks like the logs are over 20 feet?...real tidy piles, must have some good processor operators.

5. BDFT

BDFT Senior Member

We're cutting all short logs for Canfor in Houston. Optimum lengths are 20' to 12'. Three sets of 10' wide bunks on the trucks. Two on the trailer and one on the truck. They are running quad trailers on tridem trucks. In those pictures there just wasn't that much wood to process so the decks are small. In other places there are three decks piled up. The decks have to be neat or it takes forever to load and at 15 off highway loads a day you want to put a load on fairly fast.

6. Doug1966

Doug1966 Well-Known Member

Woodworker
    Any Chance You Know

Hi Any chance you know the Imrie's. I built this for them as a christmas gift for Don from his kids. Thanks Doug.

[​IMG]

7. Hitachi350Man

Hitachi350Man Well-Known Member

BDFT

Is most of the logging road building in the bc interior done with a hoe or a cat?
    When pushing road are you also affected like the loggers by the seasons, i.e. spring, summer, fall, winter?
    Is there times of the year you can't build road due to weather or snow?

Thanks!