• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Building Dikes

dieseldave

Here are some pics of a contract I'm working on, building dikes for a dredge spoils disposal area. Pics are:

1) My machine, a D6R, next to an older D6H
2) The cut, we're taking 3 feet or so to get enough material
3) The push, this is about average distance if we're building it without help from excavators or trucks.
4) Working the outside slope. It's supposed to be 2:1, but this one is probably closer to 1:1.
5) Almost finished with the outside.

Attachments

• ft mott 2009 140001.JPG
    ft mott 2009 140001.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,366
  • ft mott 2009 170001.JPG
    ft mott 2009 170001.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,385
  • ft mott 2009 120001.JPG
    ft mott 2009 120001.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,316
  • ft mott 2009 270001.JPG
    ft mott 2009 270001.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,306
  • ft mott 2009 390001.JPG
    ft mott 2009 390001.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 1,339

dieseldave

6) From the top

7) Another view of the mighty D6

Attachments

• ft mott 2009 350001.JPG
    ft mott 2009 350001.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 1,518
  • ft mott 2009 320001.JPG
    ft mott 2009 320001.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,330

clansing1

Dike Building

A couple of questions....

1) How many cubic yards were in the dike?

2) What did it cost/yard?

3) How high was the dike at the center?

Thanks in advance.

dieseldave

A couple of questions....

1) How many cubic yards were in the dike?

2) What did it cost/yard?

3) How high was the dike at the center?

Thanks in advance.

I have to plead ignorance to all of the above. We just build it to spec of height and slope, not by the yard. We're building it up about 6' over the existing dike, which is a bit over 50' above the level of the river if I remember right. In the third pic you can see the existing dike to the right, just beneath the treeline.

dozerdave

Hi dieseldave, that is nice neat work. I pushed up dikes when they were dredging the deep water channel to West Sacramento. Also layed discharg pipe out on the fill with a boom cat. Rain or shine didn't matter as everything was mud and sand anyhow.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Here are some pics of a contract I'm working on, building dikes for a dredge spoils disposal area. .

Great pictures and some very nice work :notworthy

Am I correct in that this is actually a giant dry pond at the moment?
How do they deliver the dredge spoils, is it pumped?

dieseldave

Hi dieseldave, that is nice neat work. I pushed up dikes when they were dredging the deep water channel to West Sacramento. Also layed discharg pipe out on the fill with a boom cat. Rain or shine didn't matter as everything was mud and sand anyhow.

Mud and sand, and lots of it:drinkup Were you able to go right out on to the fill with the boom cat, or did you have to use mats?
Great pictures and some very nice work :notworthy

Am I correct in that this is actually a giant dry pond at the moment?
How do they deliver the dredge spoils, is it pumped?

AtlasRob, You're exactly right, it's a giant dry pond. But, it's only dry on the surface- you have to be careful not to go to deep and break through the dry crust, because there's 40' of slimey mud underneath:eek: The spoils are pumped in.

dozerdave

Yes you have been there. We had mats made out of oak timbers and a 22B to lay them when needed. That 22B runner had a boring job, the only time he worked was laying mats and digging out the cats when they sank. The most dangerous place was right at the end of each pipe where the muck boiled out and they were hard to see in the dark, especially when the north wind was blowing the sand. The night shift skinner skidding out more pipe was usually the guy that found the holes. The pipe was 32 inches with a belled end and held together with straps welded on. One winter I pulled anchors for the dredge and that was easy duty. A tug would take me to each side of the channel to the winch cats and then back to the dredge to have coffee. The name of the dredge was the San Diego made by Bucyrus Erie.