• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Building a rifle range with a motor grader

RenoHuskerDu

IMG_20200504_122330.jpg Customer wanted a nice berm 500 yds out. If the only tool you have is a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail. But in this case the blade was perfect to give a long gradual 50' slope into the berm area. Of course not every grader has a bucket up front like my M413XT. I wouldn't have been able to build that tall berm with just a blade. One of y'all with a fully positionable table that swings out vertical probably could though.

The customer's happy with it. He's going to build a metal target support with spinners etc. Pretty common here in Texas that folks with land have their own range.

Last edited:

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Glad you are enjoying your machine's versatility. Word is I'll be hitting the dirt with my girl next week. The spring weight restrictions are lifting early, because it has been mild and dry.

RenoHuskerDu

I discovered that she cuts better if I keep some dirt in the bucket. That new model where you have one stick for both blade and bucket would crimp my style now because I often scoop the previous windrow with the bucket at the same time that I make another cut.

I'm thinking about extending the base of my bucket a few inches with a forward edge protector like I have on my tractor FEL. You said your bucket is deeper. How many inches from the front edge to the back wall?

I looked for that area on the boom that you said cracked on yours, that keeps the bucket from tipping rearward on high lift. But mine has the leverage geometry set with some extra pivots so the bucket holds its level all the way from low to high. Perhaps we have different booms? I'll snap some pics later today.

I remember all that cold weather business from our years in France, sitting inside looking out at the miserable frozen ground and thinking of what I'd do when Spring finally hits. It used to depress me, and I drank a lot in winter, which lifts your spirits for a while but then morning and hangovers come. I really prefer the heat of Texas, especially now with my AC working. Haven't touched a bottle in 9 years....runs in my family, killed my baby sis, so I'm glad to be sober now.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I discovered that she cuts better if I keep some dirt in the bucket. That new model where you have one stick for both blade and bucket would crimp my style now because I often scoop the previous windrow with the bucket at the same time that I make another cut.

I'm thinking about extending the base of my bucket a few inches with a forward edge protector like I have on my tractor FEL. You said your bucket is deeper. How many inches from the front edge to the back wall?

I looked for that area on the boom that you said cracked on yours, that keeps the bucket from tipping rearward on high lift. But mine has the leverage geometry set with some extra pivots so the bucket holds its level all the way from low to high. Perhaps we have different booms? I'll snap some pics later today.

I remember all that cold weather business from our years in France, sitting inside looking out at the miserable frozen ground and thinking of what I'd do when Spring finally hits. It used to depress me, and I drank a lot in winter, which lifts your spirits for a while but then morning and hangovers come. I really prefer the heat of Texas, especially now with my AC working. Haven't touched a bottle in 9 years....runs in my family, killed my baby sis, so I'm glad to be sober now.
My father was a drinker. Had to see the bottom of the bottle. My older siblings had terrible memories of it. I was 7 when he quit. Your leveling system is the same. One pin at the windshield, and three at the bucket piston. That hasn't changed since the old Pucketts. Our Alitec has 2 pistons for the bucket, but everything else is the same. Both our Mauldins are the same as the one Mauldin has in the demo videos, except one has the levers by the steering wheel., and both have the industrial tires instead of the turf tires. Your's has the PSI style cab.

RenoHuskerDu

OK, so which is the part the cracked on your Mauldin boom? I checked mine and see no cracks, all pretty massive steel and welds.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
The bar that runs over the top of the boom, from the windshield pin, above the main pin, to the pivot point where the boom bends towards the ground. It only broke on one Mauldin, the older one had a beefier weld. The old Puckett broke as well, but no issues with the Alitec. These machines aren't mass produced so the welding would depend on who did it. When the weld broke on the newer machine, the weld at the other pin was inspected closer and rewelded as well.

RenoHuskerDu

The bar that runs over the top of the boom, from the windshield pin, above the main pin, to the pivot point where the boom bends towards the ground. It only broke on one Mauldin, the older one had a beefier weld. The old Puckett broke as well, but no issues with the Alitec. These machines aren't mass produced so the welding would depend on who did it. When the weld broke on the newer machine, the weld at the other pin was inspected closer and rewelded as well.

Thanks, I'm gonna watch those. I was admiring the large welds just the other day. My machine must have been build mid-week.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
My bucket is just over 7 feet wide, 38 inches from heel, to tip of cutting edge, and about 28 inches from floor to the highest point/.

RenoHuskerDu

My bucket is just over 7 feet wide, 38 inches from heel, to tip of cutting edge, and about 28 inches from floor to the highest point/.

LOL, it's like mine but reversed. The backside is so tall that I don't remember dirt ever spilling over the top. The motor will stall first if I really push into a pile of base. I'll measure it tomorrow and post.

Thanks for measuring yours.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
The long floor is great for leveling, and picking up asphalt or concrete. I can pretty much tear out an entire old driveway without taking a flake of the gravel underneath. Been working at one of the local peat moss plants for the last 2 days with her getting ready for some new pave. I really need to get a new phone so I can take pictures.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
these are maintainer graders we're talking. RenoHuskerDu has a post in the grader section with pictures, or search Mauldin maintainers

RenoHuskerDu

OK, here's mine, which has a much shorter floor than yours. The floor is 19" and the back is 27", with a 4" corner between. I was just digging some soft black soil with it ... cannot overflow the high backside. I wish the floor were a little deeper, I think I'll weld on a beefy extension. The longer floor on yours must be why it won't lift fully, a lot more weight in there.

IMG_20200522_193018[1].jpg IMG_20200522_193003[1].jpg

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
you have the same tires as mine. I'm due for new ones as they are starting to bubble on the sides like they did on our 2012

RenoHuskerDu

Given all the cracks on the sidewalls, I wonder if they are original. I'm starting a thread on trying to find non-chinese tubes.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Our 2012 had 4 new tires after 2 seasons. My 2014 has lasted this long, but the rears are starting to bubble and split. The air leaks out between the plys and causes the bubbles. Mine gets a lot of use. Yesterday from noon till 4 o'clock, I spread 300 tons of 3/4 minus material. There are days when they think I am running the 940 Volvo

RenoHuskerDu

Our 2012 had 4 new tires after 2 seasons. My 2014 has lasted this long, but the rears are starting to bubble and split. The air leaks out between the plys and causes the bubbles. Mine gets a lot of use. Yesterday from noon till 4 o'clock, I spread 300 tons of 3/4 minus material. There are days when they think I am running the 940 Volvo

940 Volvo car? I had one of those, never should have sold it. But three car seats won't fit across in older Volvos.