• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Building A Progressive Thumb

wolf44

The 312 thumb redo is about 2 weeks away. We are finishing a gun clubs impact berms and drainage system. This thumb redo will be done in Solid Works completly not card board cutouts this time. I have just upgraded to solidworks professional which will give me full motion sumulation and structural analysis as well as full photo rendering. Hope you guys will enjoy the process of the design and build. I will post this thread in excavators.
If you want to have a look at the solfware http://www.solidworks.com/sw/products/fea-cfd-simulation-sofware.htm way cool stuff
Thanks Wolf

wolf44

Solidworks professional is about $8500.00 and then there is the yearly solfware support of $2000.00 and then there is the training for the solfware and last but not least the mini super computer you will need to run it. But still way cool.

coalrulz

wolf44, had my doubts, at first, about building your own thumb. But after seeing your level of expertise and some of the equipment you are working with, let me just say, Sir, very impressive job!

norite

Nice work on the thumb, you can't buy quality like that. If you ever build a quick attach for a loader I would sure be interested to see how you go about it.

Greywolf0723

Occupation
Mechanical Engineer / Diesel Inspector
I have an excavator of similar size. Would I be able to get a copy of your part files. I currently have a fixed thumb and would like to build a progressive link one similar to yours. I have a friend with a plasma table, but do not have access to the CNC mills; however, with the linkage ratios I could design one that I could fabricate.