1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Building a new fence.

Discussion in 'Agricultural Operations' started by ajginger, Sep 19, 2020.

1. ajginger

ajginger Well-Known Member

working on building a new paddock for the cattle.
    Fence is only 2.5 mile long. We cut the posts here on the property.
    Gidgee is a very hard timber and will make the fence last about 80 years on average.

Tractor is a Fordson Major that keeps snapping the cam-shaft ( has snapped 3 so far )

2. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

Nice work ! Man i felt bad doing about 700 feet of fence this spring. I use a similar steel bar bar for tamping the posts .Its amazing how it tightens them up .

DMiller and ajginger like this.
  3. Queenslander

Queenslander Senior Member

Like the straining technique, don’t think I’ve seen that done before, certainly not down this way.

ajginger likes this.
  4. .RC.

.RC. Well-Known Member

Do not see too many proline borers around these days. Perfect for the soil conditions you have there, hard but no rocks.

DMiller and ajginger like this.
  5. Plebeian

Plebeian Senior Member

The Dingo fence renewal South Australia. 2020 (The Fordson Majors did come in a 6 cylinder diesel model. https://www.dieselworldmag.com/diesel-tractors/fordson-new-major-e1a/ ) There were a few other repower options (If in nz, the government safety people would probably fine you for operating a tractor in a work place without a valid certified Roll over frame, rops)

ajginger and Pixie like this.
  6. boaterri

boaterri Well-Known Member

Retired Television Engineer
    Nice having dirt you can drill the holes into. I am lucky to have 3" of soil before I hit solid rock.

William Clarke and ajginger like this.
  7. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

So does your auger have to turn backwards because your on the bottom side of the world? Don't think I've ever seen a posthole auger that turns that way.

ajginger likes this.
  8. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder Staff Member

Nice job! You guys work at a steady pace and make it look easy!

ajginger likes this.
  9. ajginger

ajginger Well-Known Member

Glad you guys like the video ( first vid with new gopro ).

We would cut the posts first thing, sight the line & mark every post hole, dig and stand the posts then strain up and tie off. Build any gateways into the fence and hang rails under the fence in any floodways.

With this steady pace we could average 0.5 km / day. ( 0.3 mile )

DB2 likes this.
  10. .RC.

.RC. Well-Known Member

Prolines like used in the video are older diggers. Probably came out in the 60's or 70's ran anti-clockwise. I know of at least another couple of local manufacturers that made anti clockwise post hole diggers. The company is still going today, they made/make a lot of stuff for power pole erecting http://www.premierproline.com.au/

These days it seems a lot of people run hydraulic drive units, so does not matter what auger you have, but the standard is clockwise.

DMiller likes this.
  11. William Clarke

William Clarke New Member