• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bucyrus H3

Mike7

I have had a busy spring this so not much time to respond. Thanks for the information!
I spent a few hundred on the books I've got. I tried for a while to track someone down with a set, and pay to scan them, but eventually just ponied up the money. The owners/operators manual is really the one with the most information. The parts book is handy to be sure, but there isn't a lot of useful text in there. The line drawings are great to figure out how things go together though, or for example to count the number of grease fittings you need to find...

I don't believe there's any way to bump the pressure. Perhaps he was talking about bumping the flow. The pump is split, with a fraction going to half the valve stack, and the rest going to the second half. You should have pedals in the cab that allow you to divert the flow to all one valve stack to increase speed on that set of functions, but then the other functions are dead. The third pedal (if you have it) is for the line that runs out to the clam so you can dump without using the level.

So you have a picture of your new toy?

Mike7

The truck she is sitting on has some issues but the crane works great! Thanks for the info. I can only find the owners manual I haven’t been able to track down a parts manual, do you have any suggestions? Also, do you know what kind of hydraulic oil it takes?
Also, can you confirm what size the hydraulic hose for the clam bucket is supposed to be?

Toolslinger

Damn, I didn't check in on the weekend... I could have put an eye on what I've got... The hose out the the clam was almost new when I got mine, so no idea if it is "correct, but it seems right. I don't believe the parts book calls out a hose spec on any of them. I'll have to check in a couple weeks when I get back out there. I believe the spec for the hydraulic oil is in the owner's manual. Probably in there as an old trade name, but you can usually translate those forward with a little digging. I've been matching hose size, and fitting, and getting a pressure rating that can handle system pressure at minimum. Apart from hooking up the clam once, I haven't done anything with it yet. Still need to do the hoses on that, and give it a serious lube job. Somewhere I've got the weight of the various buckets on file... They're no joke, when I hook on to it, I know there's some iron hanging out there.
My truck also has some issues... Comes with the vintage I guess, but at least I can work on it... No electronics, or plastic to fail. I'm pretty sure both engines could use a good carb rebuild. I must, without fail, get them both going again this summer. Sitting around not running isn't doing them any good...

Mike7

Damn, I didn't check in on the weekend... I could have put an eye on what I've got... The hose out the the clam was almost new when I got mine, so no idea if it is "correct, but it seems right. I don't believe the parts book calls out a hose spec on any of them. I'll have to check in a couple weeks when I get back out there. I believe the spec for the hydraulic oil is in the owner's manual. Probably in there as an old trade name, but you can usually translate those forward with a little digging. I've been matching hose size, and fitting, and getting a pressure rating that can handle system pressure at minimum. Apart from hooking up the clam once, I haven't done anything with it yet. Still need to do the hoses on that, and give it a serious lube job. Somewhere I've got the weight of the various buckets on file... They're no joke, when I hook on to it, I know there's some iron hanging out there.
My truck also has some issues... Comes with the vintage I guess, but at least I can work on it... No electronics, or plastic to fail. I'm pretty sure both engines could use a good carb rebuild. I must, without fail, get them both going again this summer. Sitting around not running isn't doing them any good...
Yes, I know what you mean on the truck. My H3 is mounted on an old international. Its running on 7 Cylinders. Luckily, My dad is retired and enjoys doing some tinkering. He has been getting it back in prime condition. Like I said before. the crane itself runs great! There is an throttle adjustment knob that we cant get to work right. any suggestions?

Toolslinger

The throttle on the crane is a bit insensitive on mine... I don't know if it's in the knob mechanism, linkage, or perhaps back at the carb. Probably a little of all of it, but since it has worked enough, I haven't dug in to it. What is yours doing/not doing? On mine, you push in the center button, and pull the whole knob out to increase throttle. Release the button, and it should stay.

I haven't spent a lot of time with it running wide open since I haven't been lifting anything. That's good, because there is no muffler on mine. Just a pipe with a rain cap sticking up through the sheet metal. That's on the list of things to address for sure. I mean it's never going to be a stealth machine, but it's gotta get better than a straight pipe...

Mike7

44F4884E-FB45-45AE-AA87-44361A6811F9.png 44F4884E-FB45-45AE-AA87-44361A6811F9.png
The throttle on the crane is a bit insensitive on mine... I don't know if it's in the knob mechanism, linkage, or perhaps back at the carb. Probably a little of all of it, but since it has worked enough, I haven't dug in to it. What is yours doing/not doing? On mine, you push in the center button, and pull the whole knob out to increase throttle. Release the button, and it should stay.

I haven't spent a lot of time with it running wide open since I haven't been lifting anything. That's good, because there is no muffler on mine. Just a pipe with a rain cap sticking up through the sheet metal. That's on the list of things to address for sure. I mean it's never going to be a stealth machine, but it's gotta get better than a straight pipe...
The throttle knob seemed like it was disconnected as I couldn’t get it to throttle up! But I might have just been doing it wrong. I will try it this weekend. I’m looking at buying the manual I have been trying to track down and just curious if this is the manual that you found most useful? 44F4884E-FB45-45AE-AA87-44361A6811F9.png

Mike7

Sorry for the redundancy in the photos, I’m working off my phone and it didn’t seem like it was posting the pictures.

Toolslinger

They made these for a long time, so I imagine the manuals changed a bit. That may well be what you want. This is what I've got. And I took a shot of the oil spec as well.
20220506_065641 (Small).jpg 20220506_065649 (Small).jpg 20220506_065703 (Small).jpg
View attachment 258745

Attachments

• 20220506_065724 (Small).jpg
    20220506_065724 (Small).jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 5

lonnie503

Occupation
operator/driver
goodmornin...I have an h3 I could use some help with...#1 outrigger valve is stuck open.

Toolslinger

Nice. I see you even have a jib. Love to find one of those, just because...

I haven't done anything to the outrigger valves on mine, so I've got nothing off the top of my head... I'll see if I can find my manuals though. (life is a bit chaotic)

That said, you said the valve is stuck? I didn't think there was much going on with those valves that could get stuck... I had a stuck outrigger, but that wasn't the valve's fault...

lonnie503

Occupation
operator/driver
On Mon, Feb 12, 2024, 4:58 PM Lonnie Jones <etm.lonnie@gmail.com> wrote:
thanks for the help...the jib been there since I can remember. dad bought the crane in 1983...worked it almost every day...he sold the crane service and gave the old girl to me...I finally went and got it...it sat for about 5 yrs or so...he passed away and the yard it was in needed the space...used to have all the manuals and almost a complete crane in boxes put that stuff is gone

lonnie503

Occupation
operator/driver
I don't think it would be very hard to build a jib. I can give you all the measurements. You need and take better pictures.... It's pretty straightforward

Toolslinger

Thanks for the offer on the dimensions. I would certainly appreciate it. There is really no rush, I haven't been able to get back to mine for some time. I have recently picked up what will be the block for doubling the line. Older 3 sheave American. It took some doing to break it down, now I just need to find an appropriate 1/2" cable sheave rather than the 7/8" it came with, and replace the bolts with shorter to go down to a single.

I looked through the parts book. These are the 3 pages that show the outrigger valves, depending on the SN of the unit. I'll dig through the operators book tomorrow morning, but I doubt there's anything pertinent in there.
I did find the manufacturer of the main valves is still around, and their catalog looks pretty much the same. I see no reason BE would have gone to a different vendor for the outriggers. Might get lucky.
2024-02-12 21.25.31.jpg2024-02-12 21.23.02.jpg2024-02-12 21.26.05.jpg

lonnie503

Occupation
operator/driver
I will make some phone calls... I had extra snatch blocks... I will ask my uncle if he can see them anywhere

lonnie503

Occupation
operator/driver
My son reminded me last night I had an extra gym too. That was black. If that's laying around down there As well... Where are you located