• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bucyrus 30b dragline and yardage production numbers

fiat41b

Alright can anyone tell me what a Bucyrus Erie 30b would be able to move in yardage
at 180 degree swing talking mass excavating in general soft to medium soil conditions no rock soft mud and gumbo
material just pond work for now.
I don't know how fast they are these 30b's im not looking at the super 30b
how much boom and what size buckets
I would like a combination of maximum reach with matching bucket size for the longer reach
and shorter boom with maximum size of bucket for mass exc.
Seems the 30b might be the size for mobilization ease
I like the largest machine I can get with the least amount trouble
My truckers move my long reach exc. all around at 115,000 lbs 4axle truck 4axle trailers

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Your talking about a dinosaur and few people will have any knowledge of owning and operating one of these machines.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Gonna use a Clam or a Drag bucket? Dragline bucket was generally less than 2 yards had seen a 3 yard but not certain was on a 30B, dry material clam was generally Three yard. Should be unless a repower 6L71 DD Power, gear reduction on that to winch works and friction drives NOT fast but steady. And yes is a antique, over forty years old now for this series.

fiat41b

Thanks for the replies
doubt I end up buying any 30b size dragline if I do get one it would be a young dinosaur 1980 model 25b in mint condition 1.25 yard
and I was told the going rate for this size around 250.00 per hr that's from the owner
I checked around
try to just hire one and asked for some kind of pricing here is what I was told 350.00 per hr for a Bucyrus 61b 3.5 yd bucket 90ft boom
or $1.75 per ton basically around $2.25 per yd plus moving cost im sure.
Another guy gets around 1.75 per yard with his skyline sauerman which has a 20yd bucket yes 20 yds probably big mobilization cost for his skyline tower hoist rig

Tugger2

If theres really wet stuff on top of the pond you might consider Clamming. I think the dragline might create a lot of slop. Loading a barge with soft material 1/4 swing with my 75 ton Lima 60 to 100 yards per hour over a 2 week job duration . I charge 300.00/ hr for that crane. The bucket was 1.75 yd. One of the older Cat handbooks has power shovel production rates which includes draglines from about 3/4 yard up to mining shovels . I will see if i can find mine , maybe someone on here has one handy. Small cleanup and dredging jobs are really hard to nail down production rates . Hourly is the best , as they just need to get done fairly. The 61B would perform well drag or clam .

fiat41b

If theres really wet stuff on top of the pond you might consider Clamming. I think the dragline might create a lot of slop. Loading a barge with soft material 1/4 swing with my 75 ton Lima 60 to 100 yards per hour over a 2 week job duration . I charge 300.00/ hr for that crane. The bucket was 1.75 yd. One of the older Cat handbooks has power shovel production rates which includes draglines from about 3/4 yard up to mining shovels . I will see if i can find mine , maybe someone on here has one handy. Small cleanup and dredging jobs are really hard to nail down production rates . Hourly is the best , as they just need to get done fairly. The 61B would perform well drag or clam .
ok souds great yea a clam could work for that real wet stuff my friend thinks im crazy but I always thought they are very cool machines, beings a young dozer boy and working next to them in south florida big 4600's and 6400 I was in heaven it would be easier to move than my big long reach which we get the maximun permit think its 186,000 any more have to have more axles.
the one I was checking out have a 3rd drum so clam should work

GOOG

Bucyrus Erie recommended to run 60' of boom with a 1-1/4 yard drag bucket on the 30B A lot of guys put a 1-1/5 yard bucket on. It's much easier to make a smooth bottom on pond work with a dragline than a clam bucket.

fiat41b

Bucyrus Erie recommended to run 60' of boom with a 1-1/4 yard drag bucket on the 30B A lot of guys put a 1-1/5 yard bucket on. It's much easier to make a smooth bottom on pond work with a dragline than a clam bucket.
There is a super b or 30b super back here I stumbled up on 100ft boom'
it looks brand new I mean "brand new" looking they said they have a drag bucket for it $60,000 firm as I asked replie was they probably have that in just the paint job
it belongs to big construction out fit bridge/ hi way and quarry company
i heard they would be to heavy for dragline work
what would be the actual weight of a super 30b compared to a standard 30b hd
the guy just sent me tons pics of this real nice 25b that has 1.25 bucket very nice looking
The job I just move on to for cleaning out a pond yesterday and reconstruct - its a farm that has rolling hills the ditches have round type gravel river rock
the size of softballs of bigger along with smaller first time I have ever seen round gravel around hear that size

Tugger2

The 30B Super is a 60 ton Machine but you can drop one counterweight for clam or drag which will put you under 100,000 llbs. Its stable with expanded tracks too.

fiat41b

The 30B Super is a 60 ton Machine but you can drop one counterweight for clam or drag which will put you under 100,000 llbs. Its stable with expanded tracks too.
ok tugger2 let me ask this, if one had the 30b super and needed to get out as far as possible how much boom can one use along with a smaller bucket to get most reach

Tugger2

Id guess clamming or dragline on the 30B super you would run 60' of boom and drop some counterweight giving you maybe a 40'R. at bit more with the dragline. That said the super is a craning machine and im not sure if its built as duty cycle like the 30B although they all will run buckets . Going outside the the chart parameters on a machine isnt recomended for good reason .If your on that mine site where safety is the first concern i wouldnt go outside the chart.All this comes back to running long yarding system with a tailhold. That said i do some jobs with my cranes where you have to go further but its not productive and hard on equipment.You have to know your machine well.Are you still thinking of this for the coal slurry? Is this a one time cleanup or an ongoing maintenance job?

fiat41b

Id guess clamming or dragline on the 30B super you would run 60' of boom and drop some counterweight giving you maybe a 40'R. at bit more with the dragline. That said the super is a craning machine and im not sure if its built as duty cycle like the 30B although they all will run buckets . Going outside the the chart parameters on a machine isnt recomended for good reason .If your on that mine site where safety is the first concern i wouldnt go outside the chart.All this comes back to running long yarding system with a tailhold. That said i do some jobs with my cranes where you have to go further but its not productive and hard on equipment.You have to know your machine well.Are you still thinking of this for the coal slurry? Is this a one time cleanup or an ongoing maintenance job?
Hi again
well one time job for now but a hi dollar close to 100,000 yds of muck
that is why I was looking at using a sauerman bucket and a dead man as I have mentioned in other post, this way I don't have to have a great big machine and
this 25b im looking at is 1980 very nice 50 or 60ft boom I would think it should be able to pull a sauerman 1yd maybe 2 yard which I have located, I don't like the price they are asking for them so I also thought about just using the dragline bucket if possible 11/4 yd I would have to add additional cable I need to get out 200ft 16-18ft deep sauerman runs on trolley carrier
how would or could you use a standard drag line bucket with a tied off deadman, a sauerman cresent type has no floor the the standard type bucket would need to dump some how
sauerman dumps automatically as it climbes upwards like a drag box losing its load

Tugger2

The 25B would be ok. Just watch how much line you have on to as you lose lots when the drum is full. I think the drag line bucket will roll over on a long pull and dumping it wont work if your not pulling back off the boom tip. Id build a scraperbox of some sort if the saurman is too expensive, but what is too expensive?Saurman buckets work really well . The learning curve might be just as costly. Sounds like the long line system is what you need. The skyline rig might have a big mob. cost to move material efficently , but a small rig like the 25B still has about the same wage and overhead cost ,a bit less mob but will have learning curve cost for less material moved.Sounds a bit negative towards the small rig. Things in your favor are the customer probably trusts you to get the job done , your inovative just thinking of doing this,and sometimes bigger isnt always better. Id go at it with a fixed mob cost ,something you live with to set all this up and then hourly for the material moving.

fiat41b

The 25B would be ok. Just watch how much line you have on to as you lose lots when the drum is full. I think the drag line bucket will roll over on a long pull and dumping it wont work if your not pulling back off the boom tip. Id build a scraperbox of some sort if the saurman is too expensive, but what is too expensive?Saurman buckets work really well . The learning curve might be just as costly. Sounds like the long line system is what you need. The skyline rig might have a big mob. cost to move material efficently , but a small rig like the 25B still has about the same wage and overhead cost ,a bit less mob but will have learning curve cost for less material moved.Sounds a bit negative towards the small rig. Things in your favor are the customer probably trusts you to get the job done , your inovative just thinking of doing this,and sometimes bigger isnt always better. Id go at it with a fixed mob cost ,something you live with to set all this up and then hourly for the material moving.
yes that's how they want it priced and seams the only way to do it
just got a change on this now they will not run this material thru a wash plant its going to the back area which is a waste dump,
so now all of it won't have to be put one one particular side only, this might work better and a bit faster as that would decrease the reach to about 125ft its 250ft across. at least the drag distance would be shorter.
another company Ramsey has scraper box's and they have a roof or top welded on it it mentions when it gets loaded and full the material pushes upwards and stops the scraper box from digging in any more which also helps saving wear and tear and everything

HATCHEQUIP

Im pretty sure that all the 30Bs had the same draw works. hook and duty cycle with a super was what it was built for. The differences were the lagging, booms, counterweights, carbodys, tracks, live masts, ect., don't need a 3rd drum for clam just 2 drums and a tag line. If I remember correctly the 30 also had deal just for clamming with air regulators and valves for the closing line so you could run it off one lever. 70' boom was max at anywhere between 30 to 60 degrees angle drag or clam with one counterweight. 60Deg was 13000 lbs, 37Deg was 6100 lbs. Bucket sizes up to 1.5 yard.

fiat41b

well I just returned from looking at a 25b could use new paint lol.
the first pics I seen made it look real nice, a good hot steam clean would make big difference it was not a big oily mess just debris
I ask if it had been sitting under a tree for some time the answer, was yes as there is some mold or moss looking type stuff on it around the cable drums looked built up of dirt or decayed organics
and the floor around motor and drums has same appearance
all the draglines I ever was around were kept really clean and had a mop and bucket in a corner for the oiler guy
paint on inside was old flaking off
it was in the 40's for the hi and low 30's at night, today after checking it out we went to start it up had to crank on it for a bit the guy said it never needs either has a 4-71 Detroit. I never just crank on a starter, small timed cranks finally it started with no either the engine was a dry none oily leaking one very clean
only smoked while cranking once started and running I could never see any diesel smoke at all this is a good sign
all the gauges worked, air pumps to 125lb all the doors and glass were in good shape
I shut all the doors even the one behind the seat
and gave it all the throttle I was shocked this machine was quiet and I mean quiet, I owned more detroit powered machines than I care to talk about screamin jimmys
the can be good runners and cheap to work on.
I could not do and digging that was a bummer but it seems every thing was smooth operating and it travels good
im don't know a lot on draglines yet or cranes.
I looked at all the brakes and drums they still looked thick the drums need to polish back up little rusty every thing seemed to function real good pedals felt good also
Just one big question:
Here is the one big question, please answer if you can or if you have experienced something similar, could have to do with this being friction and throttle position was below medium speed.
while swinging left to right I could feel a thump or thug right as I changed directions, the turn table feels real good his nephew ran it for me also so I could get out and film and look at all movements
im mostly concerned of that small thump while changing directions
they tried to tell me they think its the swing brakes mechanism or the brakes grabbing for the direction change like is this normal again friction needs ran more sitting out in the moist weather? I just hope its not some sort of slop on a shaft or gears it does come with some spare parts it could be a nice little crane with a little tlc.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Not bad looking in the photo. Chains and tracks need some adjusting.

fiat41b

Not bad looking in the photo. Chains and tracks need some adjusting.
yea they do
I have more pics and a couple videos of it moving the cables swing and travel forward and backward
sucks to drive 6 hrs and no digging or turning and it was sitting next to a small pond
I will try to get a video on here or you tube
whats this thing worth he wants 30,000 2 buckets 1. and 1.25cy plus spare cable and drive chains some gears ect
I thought it was going to be one of the best I have seen for that price.
I do think mechanically is not bad.
for 60k there is a 30b super looks like just came off the show room 100ft boom for crane work and drag bucket also

Last edited: