1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Buckets for Skid Steers

Discussion in 'Compact Equipment Attachments' started by River Hill, Jan 29, 2004.

1. River Hill

River Hill Charter Member

I know they make many types of buckets for skid steers, but I was wondering what the difference is between a regular bucket, light material bucket and a snow bucket? I see a great deal of contractors piling snow with their skid steers using light material buckets, but I have not seen a snow bucket. What type of bucket do you think is best for cleaning curb lines during snow removal?

2. Paul

Paul Charter Member

A light material bucket and a snow bucket are just about the same, the only differance would be in the cutting edge, a snow bucket will have a heavier edge to scrape ice.

3. badranman

badranman Charter Member

Owner Cutting Edge Construction Limited
    I do believe that a light material/snow bucket is bigger than a normal bucket because of the reduced weight you're carrying. Yes???

4. River Hill

River Hill Charter Member

I do know you can get light material and snow buckets in a many different sizes.

5. mert0714

mert0714 Charter Member

I think the same about the thicker cutting edges on the snow buckets. I also believe, in most cases, the light material buckets are engineered a little differently. By that I mean, the snow buckets tend to be wider, maybe built stronger for the abuse. Light material buckets are maybe a bit higher and deeper to scoop/haul more. I know that they come in different sizes but when you compare cubic feet of capacity, I think this may be the case.?

6. ranger

ranger Member

Since the topic is different kinds of buckets, what is a foundry bucket?

7. KSSS

KSSS Senior Member

excavation
    Actually the snow buckets tend to be oversized and lighter build than dirt buckets to maximize payloads. Cutting edges are the same typically. They tend to by high backed as seeing cutting edge is not important, they are also used to move material like saw dust, wood chips etc.

8. clutch1

clutch1 Member

i was thinking a different material was used alltogether for the salt in the snow aplications

9. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder

They are still made of steel

10. Jaybuild

Jaybuild Well-Known Member

I use a "long lip" bucket with my small screening plant. Because it is longer, it reaches all the way in. My standard bucket has more breakout force, but it will not reach completely in. This is not a problem until I go to move the screen, then it must be clean beneath

11. Countryboy

Countryboy Senior Member

Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
    Welcome to HEF Jaybuild! :drinkup

12. Dwan Hall

Dwan Hall Senior Member

Self Employed
    Here is a 7' wide tooth bucket,
    8' wide light materials bucket,
    and 9' wide snow bucket.

These fit the 974, 975 series machines.

Attached Files: