1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Brush Mower Rebuild on a "Suihe, Wolverine, Cheap Made in China"

Discussion in 'Construction Equipment Attachments' started by climb.on, Jun 13, 2020.

  1. climb.on

    climb.on Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2017
    Messages:
    47
    Location:
    St. Paul, MN
    I bought this brush Mower a couple years ago for around $1200 and it's worked well for landowner type work, mostly on brush up to 3". I've now broke the blade carrier. The welds and steel have broke in a few different places - probably from hitting rocks. The blade carrier was fabbed so crappy I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. Here is the mower and the old blade carrier.
    IMG_2699.jpg IMG_2383.jpg IMG_2387.jpg IMG_2388.jpg
     
  2. climb.on

    climb.on Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2017
    Messages:
    47
    Location:
    St. Paul, MN
    I ordered new blades that would give me a the correct offset and I cut the circle out of 1/2" plate based on the length of the new blades. The circle was 28". It used a standard 12 spline hub and they were cheap at around $20 so I bought a new one rather than trying to salvage the old. This project was the one I needed to justify the purchase of a plasma cutter. It did not disappoint.

    IMG_2653.jpg IMG_2649.jpg IMG_2651.jpg IMG_2662.jpg
     
  3. climb.on

    climb.on Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2017
    Messages:
    47
    Location:
    St. Paul, MN
    All done and installed. Haven't put a good test on it yet. Hoping the extra weight will make it work even better, and not destroy itself in the process. Time will tell.
    IMG_2666.jpg IMG_2673.jpg
     
  4. CM1995

    CM1995 Super Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2007
    Messages:
    9,756
    Occupation:
    Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Location:
    Alabama
    That's definitively an upgrade.

    I have a BC brushcat that has a similar metal disc that carries the blades. You may want to reinforce where the deck is welded to the quick tach with the extra weight hanging out there. We've had to beef up our brushcat several times over the years due to stress cracks at the welds.
     
    climb.on likes this.
  5. climb.on

    climb.on Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2017
    Messages:
    47
    Location:
    St. Paul, MN
    Thanks. I looked at a bunch of different OEM blade carrier designs. This one seemed best as long as I didn't make the circle too big. The weight adds up really quick in 1/2" plate.

    The attachment reinforcement is a good idea, hadn't considered the extra weight stressing that area, but it makes sense. I figure I have 60 or 80lbs more weight in the new assembly, than in the old.
     
  6. Dahendo

    Dahendo Active Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2018
    Messages:
    29
    Location:
    North East BC Canada
    Looks great, I bet the added rotational mass will help when chewing up trees. The carrier should be much more durable than the original.
     
    climb.on likes this.