1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Brush Mower on Excavator????

Discussion in 'Compact Equipment Attachments' started by farmboy555, Oct 4, 2018.

1. farmboy555

farmboy555 Well-Known Member

Owner Operator
    just wondering if anyone has one. If so what brand and how do you like it

2. pondo

pondo Well-Known Member

I Just did quick demo ( in dealers yard, no cutting) of 42" diamond mower (16 -21gpm) on Bobcat e45. I was surprised how heavy it felt and BC claims 20 gpm and it needed every ounce . Use an hydraulic to move machine and u could hear mower loose speed. Something did not add up :(

3. OTG AuGres

OTG AuGres Well-Known Member

Hobbiest - Forestry and Wildlife Management
    I’ve got an Eterra flail mower that I purchased from Skid Steer Solutions on my Bobcat E42. It’s a nice piece of equipment and works quite well for grass, weeds, light brush, and even small trees. That being said, it’s not the fastest way to clear ground. It is however convenient, especially in those areas not easily reachable with a tractor/brush hog combo or equivalent. Works well for ditch banks, pond banks, etc.

4. DoyleX

DoyleX Senior Member

Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
    I have a diamond on a skid with the 20-25gpm setup. Works good, good waste reduction, built heavy duty, slow on anything over 3-4 inches. It will cut down a 6-10" but sounds like hell and takes a a few cuts. I have a older machine that is 18gpm and you feel the difference.

5. OTG AuGres

I’ve got the Eterra Typhoon on my T595 HiFlo and it’s a beast. Much faster and more robust than the excavator unit. They both have their places...the OP was specifically asking about excavator mowers.

6. KSSS

KSSS Senior Member

excavation
    I have a Rock Hound Mower on a Taki TB153FR. It is a flail type. I like it. Works well, even in tough, thick material. You need to have the GPM and PSI for them to pay for themselves.

7. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder

I'm looking at purchasing a Cat 304e at work and getting a flail mower to do over guard rails and outfield fences plus keep the bordering woods under control in the parks I maintain. Going to be following this thread

8. farmboy555

farmboy555 Well-Known Member

Owner Operator
    Thanks for the replies

9. DoyleX

DoyleX Senior Member

Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
    Yes I know but the 2 are usually made about the same by the same manufactures for both applications.

10. OTG AuGres

Yes, in my case they are both the same manufacturer (Eterra). However, the Typhoon for my CTL is a rotary cutter while the EX-30 for my mini is a flail mower. Different tools, different characteristics. In my opinion, and it’s only mine that a rotary style mower on an excavator, especially a mini is at least capable of imparting a lot more stress and wear and tear on your machine than a flail mower. The flail mower seems to impart minimal stress on the machine, even when cutting brush and smaller trees. The downside is that it is a slower solution than a rotary mower. I’m fortunate to have both and try to use the best tool for the job at hand.

In both cases, a big thumbs up to both Eterra and Skid Steer Solutions. I’ve got lots of equipment and implements and the build quality of the Eterra stuff ranks up there as some of the best.