• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

brush cutter for nh l170

nate75

im looking at getting a new Holland l170 skid steer and wondering if it will be a big enough machine to run a 60in brush hog

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Generally speaking it should not be an issue. Just to be sure, you will want to compare the GPM requirement of the attachment with the aux. output of the SSL.

DIYDAVE

52 HP should do a 6' bush hog type mower. I run a 4' one on my ASV RC30. You do need to match up the pressure and flow of the attachment, to the output of the skid steer...:D

nate75

Thanks for the replies. The gpm of flow are close to the high end of the requirement for the brush cutter I'm looking at. I just wasn't sure how the weight of the brush hog would affect the machine

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The NH should be around a 1700 pound capacity. A 60" brush cutter isn't going to be but half that. Typically the loads are kept low when brush cutting anyway so even if you were close to max ROC, I wouldn't sweat that, but you would be fine with that machine and a typical brush hog. If it was a commercial mulching type rotary that would different.

Norwegian Steam

Attachments with moving parts aren’t dictated by machine HP so much as machine size and GPM of the hydraulic system.
You can buy a brand new 100K Cadillac skid/CTL but if it’s got standard hydraulics and not enhanced high flow or high flow you’ll have a hard time running Forestry Mulchers, grinders, large augers or brush cutters that require high flow.

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
I have an old Cat 242A with standard flow. It hydraulically handles a CID 72" HD with push bar on it. But weight wise, this 2,000 ROC machine likes to stand on the front 2 wheels pretty easy. While the cutter is well within the ROC, it is a lot farther out there than a bucket. I often use my OTT steel tracks (which weigh about 500#) when I use the cutter. They help hold it down.

If I could, I'd trade for a 60" myself. Think that'd help a lot.

nate75

I have an old Cat 242A with standard flow. It hydraulically handles a CID 72" HD with push bar on it. But weight wise, this 2,000 ROC machine likes to stand on the front 2 wheels pretty easy. While the cutter is well within the ROC, it is a lot farther out there than a bucket. I often use my OTT steel tracks (which weigh about 500#) when I use the cutter. They help hold it down.

If I could, I'd trade for a 60" myself. Think that'd help a lot.

that's kinda what I was curious about. I know the 60" mower will be a little lighter than a 72". I may just have to add some rear weights if it wants to lift the ass up