1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

browny spicer aux trans

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by gwhammy, Sep 18, 2022.

1. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap Geezer
    My little wagon will do me fine for the moneys I have in it.

2. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    yes it will.

DMiller likes this.
  3. gwhammy

gwhammy Senior Member

If I was doing a manual I'd use the dodge transmission so you don't have to buy an adapter. I'm just guessing I have 4000 or so in adapter parts and wiring and somewhere around 3500 in labor from my mechanic using it as part time to fill in at his shop. He also rebuilt the 12 valve in his spare time but he also does a lot of work on my equipment and trucks so I don't really have a breakdown, he gives me a bill and I pay it. Look on cummins conversion for the parts, wiring harness and motor mounts make it a lot easier.

JPV and Truck Shop like this.
  4. cfherrman

cfherrman Senior Member

$4000 is worth to have the best pickup auto you can find.

My harbor freight winch has dead lifted many heavy things including my N14 in frame with radiator wet and set it on and off my trailer, front tires off the ground.

Attached Files:

Old Doug likes this.
  5. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    good. it keeps the economy going.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  6. Camshawn

Camshawn Senior Member

retired
    Once we didn’t have a winch on our truck, we became a lot more reserved about going down a hill if there was any possibility of having to come back up it. That being said, we go a lot of places with our truck and camper that others fear to tread. Cam

Truck Shop likes this.
  7. JPV

JPV Senior Member

I miss my winch, need to get it mounted again. You have to think about what you are doing when getting in a bad spot to make sure you have something to winch to or it does no good like Truck Shop says but it sure is handy. Works great for pulling elk out sometimes too.

Camshawn likes this.
  8. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Never had a winch on either of my jeeps. A lot of places I went you couldn't scrape up enough sagebrush
    to winch off. Guy here in town owns napa store was winching a elk up from a draw 3 years ago-1/4" cable
    broke. Came back and slashed his face/neck made a mess of him. Because he is such a cheap bugger
    his nick name became {Snidely---Snidely Whiplash}.

JPV likes this.
  9. Camshawn

Camshawn Senior Member

retired
    I only used my winches a few times when I first was feeling my way around off-roading. Getting my self out from where I should never have gone. After that it was more about pulling someone else out of somewhere they should not have been. It did give me the confidence to push the limits a little. The last time I used a winch, I was getting the tractor out of a hole. Glad I had one around. Cam

JPV likes this.
  10. cfherrman

cfherrman Senior Member

I've driven stakes in the ground and then used a chain boomer to move a truck to hook up to a trailer when it was too muddy to back up straight to it lol

Old Doug likes this.
  11. 1693TA

1693TA Senior Member

FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
    For the most part I have winches on anything related to trucks, or trailers. They are hardly ever used for self extraction, but have been in the past. One of my R model Mack trucks has a 100K "Tulsa 80" mechanical winch, and I have a 12K Harbor Freight winch built up on a plate I slide into a receiver hitch for extraction or skidding logs on our property powered by jumper cables from the vehicle working very well. Photos are a couple years old and I'm not looking forward to that white crap anytime soon.

Mack:

upload_2022-9-30_9-3-48.jpeg

Harbor Freight:

upload_2022-9-30_9-2-53.jpeg
    upload_2022-9-30_9-3-22.jpeg

A winch can be a very handy tool to have access to at times.

JPV and Camshawn like this.
  12. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

I would like to see some one do some real world testing of the different add on overdrives. Yes they are getting tested in the cars but that is a little different from a truck were you have weight on the drive tires putting all the torque to them you have and not able to spin. Yes the cars are putting alot of power to the ground but it dosent seem the same as a pickup putting power to the ground.
    I worked on stuff for a guy that had Gear vendors in his Chevy 1 tons. The one Chevy was a 1983 4x4 with a utility box it was way overloaded all the time and he always pulled a trailer. It had a th400 i hated driving it . I think a trans would last about 30.000 miles. He put a Gear Vendor on it i think 3 years before he retierd . The anus clutch went out of it. He thought the trans went out it had reverse but wouldnt go forward. I spent a cold weekend in a unheated shop swapping the trans to find out it was the gear vendor. I think the gear vendor is a good unit but i dont know about it being used pulling big loads for thousands of miles.

13. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Yeah I have a winch on the tow truck--for baboon truck drivers. 002.JPG

56wrench, JPV and Camshawn like this.
  14. Jumbo

Jumbo Senior Member

retired
    Bursting bubbles with dose of reality.
    (Well said.)

15. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Spent too many hours in a tow truck dealing with those types. Then they want to tell you how to
    recover it, that's when you drive away.

56wrench, Tags and Camshawn like this.
  16. 1693TA

1693TA Senior Member

I added a few $$$ to the invoice as "tolerance" adjustment myself. Money was always the same shade of green to me; just more of it when I'm told how to do my job.

Old Doug and 56wrench like this.
  17. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Lets see---a retired ffa radar engineer, body shop, tow truck driver, hauler of farm equipment. how many
    years did you spend on radar.

I'm not that greedy.

18. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
  19. 1693TA

1693TA Senior Member

A few. 34 years, 3 months, 17 days if you are counting on radar equipment. Four years of that was defending your right to the freedoms you enjoy and so casually take for granted.

Lot more money owning and running a business correctly than working to ensure others profit from your toil; but some cannot do it and find it much easier to generate drama on the internet hiding behind their cloak of shame.

This can be the opening stanza if you desire, or you could simply close your trap. Either way is fine with me.

20. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Your a hero for sure. But remember this isn't Big Mack Truck Forums.
    There won't be any opening stanzas.