• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

browny spicer aux trans

gwhammy

I've found a 5531 spicer browny aux transmission and contemplating putting it in a 09 f350 I've put together. These are under direct and overdrive. The 09 has 4.10 gears with the 5r110 transmission and I've put a newly freshened 12 valve cummins in it. I don't need the under drive but was thinking it should stand up to the cummins in direct pulling a trailer and then have od for empty truck and trailer.

Never been in a truck with one of these, heard they were noisy in OD. It would be nice running 65 to 75 not to be turning 2500 rpms. Any info would be appreciated.

JaredV

That might be a little light for a 12V. I think the next size up is the 6041 which would be a 4 speed with deep under and would handle under and over with a load, because what's the point of having more gears if you can't use them loaded? I have a 5831 which is the newer version of the 5531 in my little '52 IH 3 yard dump truck. It's got straight cut gears so it's pretty noisy in OD but I don't spend a lot of time in it so it's no big deal. I'd rather not go on a long road trip listening to that whine. The 6041 I understand is quiet. If all you want is another higher gear, you might be better off with a Gear Vendor overdrive.

gwhammy

Gear Vendor won't stand up to what I do. I have an 06 Ford f350 with 4.10 gears and the five speed automatic that pulls the loads great. I just wish it had a higher gear when unloaded. Don't need a lower gear as this is a fwd so I have low lock to move anything I want and the ford automatic along with 4.10 gears gets moving real nice on pavement. I'll look into the heavier one and probably pass on the small one.

gwhammy

I'll try but i'm pretty computer illeterate. I actually had a buddy put in the motor in his spare time. Blasting and painting a flatbed for it right now. Found a 09 f350 cab and chassis with 91,000 miles on it with blown 6.4 and new rebuilt 5r100. Had a fresh rebuilt 5.9 already just need to finish. It has 19.5 aluminum rims also and new paint job, the guy didn't like the color of it. I'd hate to tell you how much I have in it but I'm guessing around what it would have cost to put a used 6.4 back in it.

gwhammy

I've been looking around and those browny spicer aux trans are like chicken teeth. Just guessing they are laying in a corner of barn long forgotten with most not even knowing what they are.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Old technology for sure. I don't have any spares but the 6231D in my 51 Mack dump truck does well and if loaded you don't skip any gears.

I think if you could adapt a Ford 6L140 trans behind that Cummins you would be plenty happy.

JPV

A gear vendor will hold up fine with your 12 valve, would be curious why you think it won't. I have one behind mine in an 84 GMC 3500 and it is fine. I have 4.10 gears and the NV 4500 5 speed and when pulling my 29' 5th wheel I leave the transmission in direct and the gear vendor in overdrive to save the weak overdrive gear in the tranny. When running empty it sails down the freeway at 75 no problem. They are built to handle 2000 horsepower in drag racing applications, it's the way to go and way easier to find and install although expensive.

gwhammy

Guy down the road put one in a Ford and tore it out in less than 6 months. I'm between 4 and 500 horse power and gross 35,000 lbs. a lot with the big mini ex on. Just heard they won't stand up to the torque and heavy weight. They don't recommend towing over 25,000 lbs. total in a commercial application. I actually have a gv on the shelf out of a mid 90's twd ford one ton with automatic.

Last edited:

Tyler d4c

Too bad they don't build bigger trucks and transmissions with more gears to haul equipment around on.
Beet me to it people want to hual stuff with there glorified pickup trucks a 35000 pound plate and insurance is the same cost if it's a f450 or a single screw tractor and the later is much safer and probably cheaper to maintain in the end.

gwhammy

Poor man has poor ways. Trailer has 12,000 axles, truck I'm using now weighs 8000 lbs. and is a one ton. Handles it good and stops good. I do have a tandem dump truck with a triple axle air ride trailer to haul on I just like the pickup. Being a one man band you can only support so much overhead. Beat on me all you want it's just the way I roll, been in the business for 44 years with no accidents from equipment problems.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Mo Brownshirts are expanding the keen evil eye of overloaded trucks. Have builder sheets in electronic files awaiting the accidents to spring on unsuspecting too small tow vehicle operators. Hot Shot minimal load service is one thing, overloaded to GVWR is another.

cfherrman

Dot will pull over a dually pickup with a trailer more often than a truck because of drivers not knowing safety.

That's why when you do overloads you use a 3/4 ton pickup so you don't get pulled over.

crane operator

As much fun as I have kidding about this Thread, I really want to see pictures of your ford with the cummins and some details on where you are at time and $$ wise.

I spotted a f-550 a while back with a bad 6.4, manual trans, two wheel drive, and I'd like a pretty stock p-pump 12v or 24v in it. My concerns are having the time and the electrical. From what I've read, most of the issues are sorted, but like with any swap, the last 10% of it is the tough part- getting everything to work with no idiot lights going.

I don't need 500hp out of it, or to haul 30,000- I have real trucks for that:), I just would like something a little newer and less miles on it, but I'm not buying a $70,000 truck.

Truck Shop

Folks notice I haven't posted a thing in this thread.

Winches-winches are for people who think of them as a back up system after they already drove way
past the vehicles limits. Only to tear up more sh!t.

Limited slip, are for people who think they now have traction up the ass {40 grit according to Spud}.
So they have unlimited traction till they get buried, then out comes the winch cable to save the day,
only to tear up more sh!t.

More power-more power is needed to keep the air operated front locker and rear locker just a churning,
till it gets really buried, then out comes the winch only to tear up more sh!t.

Lower gear ratio-is now needed because of the super aggressive tire package and lift kit for extra
ground clearance, so they stand on it even harder and really sink it, so out comes the winch only
to tear more sh!t up.

Overdrive-is now needed because of the low gear ratio and too high rpm for highway, so extra weight
added again and ruined driveline angles which tears up a driveline, yoke, and a pinion, along with a few
other things, really buried up to it's ass this time, so out comes the winch only to tear more sh!t up.
Except he forgot one thing, the Harbor Freight winch he bought roasted two weekends ago tearing up
more sh!t.