• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

British Columbia Forest Products Ltd.

Betelgeuse

Hi Dirty4fun, In the first pic we were leaving Vancouver harbour and had cleared first narrows. We ran shortened up (barge right behind the tug) until we hit open water,then the tow line is let out. About 1500 to 2000 feet behind the tug. Believe it or not the towline is only about three feet below the surface of the water. Not a good idea to try to go between. That happened off Point Atkinson when a pleasure craft tried to go between. The boat slid along the towline and the PC ended up under the barge. The three people onboard didn't make it. The steel towline is about two inches in diameter. I worked on eight different towboats, three of them were class eight deep sea towboats. The towboats are classed from class one to class eight, class one being the smallest least horsepower to class eight lots of horsepower. All of the towboats I worked on were class five to eight. The most powerful one I was Chief on, we ran two side by side towlines from one winch. Each towline two and a half inch diameter. We never broke a towline on anything I worked on and we never stopped for weather. Winters on the west coast can get pretty rough. I think most of the big log barges are gone now, probably a few left but I haven't seen any on the water in the past five years. Interestingly though I've seen an increase in log towers. Most of the bigger towboats and log barges have been shipped off to China for scrap. I'll post a few more pics for you and I don't mind the questions.

I live on San Juan island and I see Seaspans barges at least once a month coming and going up Georgia strait. Occasionally a smaller barge with a crawler crane or shovel (log loader for the Canadians eh). You probably could see them passing from Sidney.
I am really enjoying the maritime side of logging your sharing. I grew up sailing. Sailed around Vancouver island the Pacific Grace a few times. Sure do miss it up there.

Betelgeuse

269D4310-8FAC-4FDB-8EF9-8A3B2A669722.jpeg 1A44115B-2A11-4BD2-9471-75A5916EEE41.jpeg 015AC797-C6B0-48A6-8E18-38FA9AE10C7C.jpeg 2030F0DE-2F12-470F-AAE3-309E22BD1CA0.jpeg
QUOTE="Len Burton, post: 473324, member: 33478"]Hey Steve I posted a few pics of the old logging equipment that I have found up the coast at Teakern Arm. I know where the old skidder was left at Bear Creek. I doubt the old home tree is still standing after all these years, I've heard it is down. Never gave any thought to going back in there the old road must be long gone.[/QUOTE]

Finally found the pictures of what I found up Teakern Arm. This unit is between the lake and the falls. Is this the same unit you found up there? Could this be a BCFP unit? Or did they not work the mainland?

Len Burton

Occupation
Retired
Did you ever take a close look under the Cassel Lake falls ???;)

Attachments

• 49.jpg
    49.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 50.jpg
    50.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 53.jpg
    53.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 96

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Bob MacMillen was well educated with a Degree in Forestry , he worked his way up the Management ladder and became a Division Manager . Just a guess , but I would think these pictures were taken on a tour of another logging operation . I have never seen a piece of equipment in a BCFP operation similar to the one in picture

AliaG

Post # 2222 picture #3 is of Jim Stanton's cabin. It was about 1500 feet up the mainline from the dryland sort at the head of Knight Inlet.

Hi,

I came across this forum through the post by 6-110 mentioning Jim Stanton.
I am not in the field, but all these photos are amazing! My husband and I live in the countryside in the northern Italy and the only "heavy equipment" we use is an Efco chainsaw. (the one of my avatar)

However, actually I am here writing for something else.
Making the long story short...Many years ago I read the book "Grizzlies in their backyard" which narrates the life of Jim Stanton and his wife Laurette at the Knight Inlet, British Columbia. It was a love at first sight.
This year I made a step forward. I created a Facebook page and put up a website dedicated to this great couple. You can find them here:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JimLauretteStanton/

I understand that this is not the right place to talk about this, but you seem to know the place so, may I ask to anyone who has some information on their house or on Jim and Laurette to contact me in private? I really appreciate it.
I would like to assure you that my intentions are serious. :)

Thanks everyone in advance.

AliaG

Are you referring to their original house or their second house in Knights Inlet?
On both would be amazing :D Like I said, I' m looking for any kind of information on Jim And Laurette's living in that area, so any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

dunwurken

I have pictures of my kids under Cassel Lake falls as well. One thing to remember about Teakerne Arm is that is was a major MacMillan Blodel Booming ground. As a result there is a a lot of wire rope on the bottom. Be Careful where you anchor as you might not get it back. Over by the falls was mostly float homes etc with most of the booming done over on the south side. But we always had to take the risk cause the kids wanted to swim in the lake if we were in the area.