• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Brit logging.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Tones, any pictures?

Radial sawing produces great boards, particularly in well behaved wood grain. We were surprised to find that radial cuts from internally stressed chestnut produced very strong curved banana boards that would've made great footbridge sides!

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Interesting idea that Tones. Might spark off a whole new chapter. Hmmmn.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
That is a nice picture angle. Love the blue sky in the back ground also.

Graham1

Looks a nice day out in the woods. Hopefully the dry weather is here to last. Seems like it was a very wet winter.
Graham

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
It sure seemed grey for a long time!

And then as usual spring arrives in a blast and nature just goes for it. It always seems to get mad busy as soon as spring bursts, trying to make use of the good conditions before you can't find logs in the greenery roaring up.WP_20180516_08_31_20_Pro.jpg
Took picture of this Early Purple Orchid, but it's past it's best!

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
WP_20180509_16_01_55_Pro.jpg
Been laying out brash mats in the wet spots, extra work but avoids problem of sinking below...

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Ha, got me!

Mind you, we Brits have to get up earlier than a lot of you guys. We've probably put in half a shift before you westerners have even made it out of bed!

John C.

Occupation
Sounds about like a summer of hoot owl to me.

I reckon you Brits get to go home early to.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Yep, that's true too.

Apart from log truck drivers. They like to work early and finish late.WP_20180515_09_54_38_Pro.jpg WP_20180515_10_21_25_Pro.jpg WP_20180515_18_17_45_Pro.jpg

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Summer of hoot owl! Not heard that phrase before, but I looked it up, good one.

No, it was bad attempt at a G.M.T. joke, we English are famed for odd sense of humour.

John C.

Occupation
For those that don't know the term Hoot Owl, here in the northwest when the weather gets dry in the summer and the humidity falls below a certain point, the woods are shut down for fire danger. That means all machinery is shut down and everyone goes home. To work around this the loggers go to work early in the morning and work till the humidity hits the stopping point. People might go to work at around 2:00 AM and be done working around 10:00 AM. That might be roughly the same time as the Brits are working?

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Back when I was around logging in BC I seem to recall the first truck was always on the landing by like 2:00am. When spring breakup was approaching they'd start at like 10:00 or 11:00pm so the last truck would be out of the bush before the roads got too sloppy.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
I see while searching that Buzz Martin did a song "hoot owling again", but I can't find it to listen to.

On a different note & not for fire reasons, if there's no houses nearby during hot spells we get to the woods in the duskiness and start chainsaws up when it's light enough to see properly, go though to about 2pm. Makes a lot of difference to how much sweat we lose in the first few hours, we have to wear chainsaw protective trousers and boots, they're always black or mostly black and are awful punishment when it's hot and a clearfell. Sweat buckets. Some health and safety types keep making noise that chainsaw operators must wear full sleeved protective jackets in forestry felling. I tried one of these on at a show and it was the heaviest jacket I've ever seen, thick with the chainblocking material. So far, sense has prevailed and it has been shouted down with force by anyone with any sense, I think we'd die of overheating if we were pushed into those as well. Head gets pulsing bad enough on hot days as it is!

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
I recall one early morning when I was still living at home ( the family quarters were on one side of San Juan Bay and the Shop & Cookhouse were on the other side of San Juan Bay ) catching the "Crew Bus" from home to the "Marshaling Yard" on my first morning of "Early Shift" , Ollie Virtanen ( who always had a great sense humor ) got on the bus , and made the comment . Christ were getting up to go to work the same time some guy's are getting up to go home !

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
That's the song, but it comes up "this video is not available" when I click the arrow?