• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

bristand or britstand, anyone familiar with it?

aussiejd510

A year or two ago, my uncle finally gave in to his friends pleas, and sold him this grader. He bought this grader second hand years ago, back in the 70's, and the back wheels are chain driven. It is a britstand or some name like that, apparently british built. His friend has put in another engine, fixed hydraulic lines, etc, but says they can't find anything on the net about it. Truth be told, he is in his early 70's, his son is in his 40's, and I have a feeling that although his son looked on the net, he may not be too skilled with finding his way around the net. I wouldn't be suprised if they just typed "britstand" into google and that was it.

I have been very busy fixing my uncles old house, so I haven't been around to see this bloke for a while, but when I do I will try and see if he can get a model name/number off any plates that may be on it. They don't know how much oil should be in the gear box, coz they started it up after they replaced the original engine with a truck engine, and it squirted oil out of the gearbox. These guys are seriously knowledgeable with repairing all sorts of gear, and have already done quite a bit on it, but with no information on the machine, they are in the dark sometimes.

I would appreciate advice from anyone who has had or worked on these graders. But of course, I will find out the model number and post it once I visit them again.

Curbster

Occupation
Prime Digger on Dog Hill
Barfords

I never heard of that particular brand, but I did operate a couple of Aveling Barford graders. One was a six wheel drive that would go damn near anywhere with chains all around. ( a good thing as the snow wing would pull ya over the bank if ya loaded it up too much!) and the other was a four wheel model, that I couldn't keep grade with to save my soul! It was a love/hate affair as every time you turned to check behind you, one of the long levers poked you in the head or arm. The cab was structured for smaller operators than I! :) The downside being that these two machines were high maintenance iron with frequent unavailability. I liked the six wheel drive thing though, and always wanted to take her for a cruise on the bush roads!

brock38

Occupation
Retired
The Britstand Grader was made by British Standard Machinery in Sydney in the 50's, it was powered by a P6 Perkins Engine, and known as the model 40 Grader, I worked for the Company from 1954-59 hope this helps !

brock38

Occupation
Retired
The Transmission was a EOA type ( Engine over Axle ) and was made in USA, by the Oliver Corporation, the only place Oil would be coming from is the Breather, check the Oil level, they may be Water in the Oil, causing oil to foam-up and leak out, The oil grade we used was 140 grade, There is a oil level plug on the side of the Housing !

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
Britstand also built a few of the Heil range of towed cable control scrapers, most notably the OC-6 and OC-8 models.
There are several still alive and kicking on this side of the Tasman.
They have been converted from cable to hydraulic operation.

brock38

Occupation
Retired
[I would appreciate advise from anyone who has worked on these Graders]

Hello Aussiejd510.
I was wondering if you found the problem with the Oil leaking from the Transmission ?
If I can help please let me know, I served my time as a Mechanic at Britstand 1954-59,
regards, Winston.

Slowmo

Occupation
Farmer
Britstand Grader

Hi Brock38.
I have a couple of Bristand graders. The newer one an AP41 is all hydraulic and has had the P6 engine replaced with a Perkins 6354. Unfortunately I cracked the bull gear which peeled off the pulley and punched a hole in the top of the tranny lid. I have been trying to locate another bullgear or complete transmission any ideas. I have beentold that some Oliver tractors have the same transmission but do not know which models nor wheel or track. Any ideas. This is a great little grader and very handy on our farm and would be great to see her going again.

PS The older model is a different transmission and has gear drive on the tandems. It would be a big job to convert I think.

brock38

Occupation
Retired
Hello Slowmo.

The Grader Transmission is alot different to Oliver Wheel Tractors, I do not think you will be able to get a Bull Gear to suit this Transmission, the Pulley that you can see is a Brake drum for the Parking Brake, the only way you can fix this, is to look for another Transmission Complete ! I do not know of any for Parts here in Melb, for this Model ?

Phone me for more Info, 03 9720-9585 Winston.

britstanddriver

Hi guys,
I drive a britstand AP41 for track preparation at my local car club.
The ID plate says it was built/supplied by Queensbridge Motor Co. in melbourne. Does anyone know what the best option for powersteering would be?
Armstrong is killing my ageing shoulders!

brock38

Occupation
Retired
britstanddriver
To Fit Power Steering.
To fit a power assisted type Steering System you would need to fit a different System, and using a lower presure type Pump. The Grader System 600/800lbs per sq inch is to high !
The steering Box is a Ross and Cam Sector, and to fit a Hyd System you would have to Disconet the Mechanical Steering ! and Mount a Cylinder to fixed point on the Axle Frame,and the other end to the Tie Rod or Steering Arm, and Hyd Pipes to the Control Valves inside the Cab, and use the Control Valve to Steer the Wheels like a Aveling Austin Grader which is all Hyd, and uses a Handle Bar type lever to steer the front wheels. The Grader was made in Sydney by, British Standard Machinery, and the Victorian Agent was Queensbridge Motors. When I delivered these Grader New back in the 50's on a Straight Road I would use the leaning Wheel Control, to Steer the Grader, I would only use the Steering Wheel to turn a Corner!

glenno

Britstand Grader

I have a Britstand Model 40 (AP.41) grader which I use for my farm tracks. It still has a P6 Perkins (reconditioned) and it starts easily which is not normal for the P6. I have the original Instruction Manual which has all the capacities and fairly detailed schematic diagrams. I have a few spares including a complete transmission which I think is operational.

lpnt65

Occupation
Retired
We had a Britstand Scoop it was a good piece of equipment it was purchased from R & W Butcher Auckland NZ i reckon, looking back, it was same design as International Heil scrapers There was a few Bristand Graders in NZ but not many

JimInOz

Plough Books sold me a reprint of Britstand's "Dozer Operation" manual in the 90s.
It has production charts & tips,& many Oliver references.
The back part of the book shows a good range of Britstand products...the Hi-Lift Auto Patrol Grader with AEC engine,8F/2R speeds...the towed scoops,rollers & rippers,including a Britstand/Heil towed scoop unit,carrying up to 24 yds.Also has loader frame & dozer blades ,shown on Oliver Cletrac machines.
British Standard Machinery Co Ltd was in Mascot,NSW.
A lot of info in a small book...

The Dog

Hi Glenno we have just bought a AP41 for our lane ways and tracks .It needs a bit of TLC .Do you know of anyone who supplies parts for them ?I noted you have all the Manuals for this grader, would you be able to copy these for us . It would be a get help in our project.We will pay you for your trouble.

brock38

Occupation
Retired
Hi Glenno we have just bought a AP41 for our lane ways and tracks .It needs a bit of TLC .Do you know of anyone who supplies parts for them ?I noted you have all the Manuals for this grader, would you be able to copy these for us . It would be a get help in our project.We will pay you for your trouble.

Did you get a Instruction Manual / Parts Book for your Grader ? I have one in Melb, there are 147 pages in total, I can copy if you want Phone 03 9720-9585,
I worked at Britstand back in the 50's

glenno

Britstand Grader

Hi The Dog, seeing Brock made the kind offer to copy the manual for you I will let him do so however if there is any probs let me know and I will follow through. Happy grading and hope your arms are strong enough to operate the steering or do you have power steering? Let me know how you get on.

propfarmer

I have a Britstand Model 40 (AP.41) grader which I use for my farm tracks. It still has a P6 Perkins (reconditioned) and it starts easily which is not normal for the P6. I have the original Instruction Manual which has all the capacities and fairly detailed schematic diagrams. I have a few spares including a complete transmission which I think is operational.

Hi Glenno, your spare transmission wouldn't happen to have the transfer gearbox intact? I think the seal between the transfer case and the transmission allowed oil to leak into the transmission and we cooked one of the bearings in the transfer box which caused it to crack the housing. Any help on this issue would be gladly received.